Page 1 from 21
Total results: 21832
- A bushy small tree, Dodonaea viscosa, native to Hawaii, Australia, Africa, and tropical America, having sticky leaves and dark wood.Urdang, Laurence, (1984)Morris, William, (1971)
- A town in Northern Switzerland, capital of Aargau canton, and capital of the Helvetic Republic between 1798 and 1803.
- Towards the back or rear; backwards.
- In the rear; a distance behind.
- By surprise; startled; dumbfounded.
- Backward against the mast; said of the sails when pressed by the wind from the "wrong" (forward) side, or of a ship when its sails are set that way.
- An abacus.
- Behind; toward the stern relative to some other object or position; aft of.
- On the aft side; in the stern.
- To lower physically or depress; to stoop; to throw or cast down
- To lower, as in rank, office, condition in life, so as to hurt feelings or cause pain; to depress; to humiliate; to humble; to degrade.
- To lower in value, in particular as altering the content of alloys in coins.
- To make ashamed; to embarrass; to destroy the self-possession of, as by exciting suddenly a consciousness of guilt, mistake, or inferiority; to disconcert; to discomfit.
- To lose self-possession; to become ashamed.
- in the sunshine; basking.
- A diminutive of the female given name Abigail.
- A religious devotee or dervish in Persia.
- The tenth judge of Israel.
- name used by Muslims.
- On the beam; at a right angle to the centerline or keel of a vessel FM 55-501 Marine Crewman’s Handbook or aircraft; being at a bearing approximately 090 Degrees or 270 Degrees relative JP 1-02 Department of Defense Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms.
- Alongside or abreast; opposite the center of the side of the ship or aircraft.
- Alongside or abreast; opposite the center of the side of the ship or aircraft.
- To put up with; to endure.
- To bear; to carry.
- To behave; to comport oneself.
- Bearing, behavior.
- To go astray; to err.
- Distort; aberrate.
- To regard with horror or detestation; to shrink back with shuddering from; to feel excessive repugnance toward; to detest to extremity; to loathe.
- To fill with horror or disgust.
- To turn aside or avoid; to keep away from; to reject.
- To protest against; to reject solemnly.
- To shrink back with horror, disgust, or dislike; to be contrary or averse; definition.
- Differ entirely from.
- Accept, comply or act in accordance.
- To wait in expectation.
- To pause; to delay.
- To stay; to continue in a place; to remain stable or fixed in some state or condition; to be left.
- To have one's abode; to dwell; to reside; to sojourn.
- To endure; to remain; to last.
- To stand ready for; to await for someone; watch for.
- To endure without yielding; to withstand; await defiantly; to encounter; to persevere.
- To endure or undergo a hard trial or a task; to stand up under.
- To await submissively; accept without question; submit to.
- To bear patiently; to tolerate; to put up with; stand.
- To pay for; to stand the consequences of; to answer for; to suffer for; to atone for.
- Bogo; a Philippine fruit tree, from the family Burseraceae. 1976
- A wine seller; one who is subject to the abkari tax.
- A small fresh-water fish (Alburnus alburnus); the bleak.
- Blossoming, blooming, in blossom.
- Blowing or being blown; windy.
- A unit of measurement in the centimeter-gram-second scale used to measure conductance.
- Act of waiting; delay.
- Stay or continuance in a place; sojourn.
- A residence, dwelling or habitation.
- An omen; a foretelling.
- To bode; to foreshow; to presage.
- To be ominous.
- A unit of electrical resistance equal to one billionth of an ohm (10-9 ohms), used in the centimeter-gram-second system of units.
- In a boil; boiling.
- Heated up; excited.
- In a boil; boiling.
- Figuratively, heated up; excited.
- Any of the large South American serpents from the genus Boa or related genera.
- born, begotten, created, developed
- Physically over; on top of; worn on top of, as clothing.
- In or to a higher place; higher than; on or over the upper surface; — opposed to below or beneath.
- Farther north than.
- Rising; appearing out of reach height-wise.
- Figuratively, higher than; superior to in any respect; surpassing; higher in measure, degree, volume, or pitch, etc. than; out of reach; not exposed to; not likely to be affected by; incapable of negative actions or thoughts.
- Higher in rank, status, or position.
- In addition to; besides.
- Surpassing in number or quantity; more than
- In preference to.
- Too proud to stoop; averse to; disinclined; too honorable to give.
- Upstage of.
- Beyond; on the other side.
- Directly overhead; vertically on top of.
- Higher in the same page; earlier in the order as far as writing products go.
- Into or from heaven; in the sky.
- In a higher place; upstairs; farther upstream.
- Higher in rank, power, or position.
- In addition.
- More in number.
- Above zero; above freezing.
- On the upper half or the dorsal surface of an animal.
- Of heaven; heavenly.
- Being located higher on the same page or on a preceding page.
- Something, especially a person's name in legal documents, that appears higher on the same page or on a preceding page.
- Higher authority.
- betterment, raised status or condition.
- Brimming, full to the brim.
- Brimming, full to the brim.
- A toxin akin to ricin found in jequirity beans, Abrus precatorius.
- ABC; alphabet.
- Absey book; abecedary.
- An alphabetical acrostic list.
- A medium-sized tropical African tree, from the family Loganiaceae. 1976
- The soft pale wood from the abura tree.
- In a buzz; buzzing
- Characterized by excessive gossip or activity.
- A tax, or impost, levied by a chief on a landowner.
- Hell; the infernal pit; the great deep; the primal chaos.
- An abyss; a gulf, a chasm, a very deep hole.
- Any of several tropical New World trees in:
- The dark wood of these trees.
- Any of a number of Central American and South American freshwater fish in the family Cichlidae
- To soothe, to calm; to assuage, to subdue.
- The capital of Ghana.
- Sour, bitter, and harsh to the taste, as unripe fruit.
- Sharp and harsh in expressing oneself.
- A spicy and salty pickle in Indian cuisine.
- The sound of a sneeze.
- dandruff (or similar condition)
- Like an acid, somewhat acid.
- The full attention of one's sight, hearing or other senses, as directed towards a particular object.
- Marked by acne; suffering from acne.
- In a cocked or turned-up fashion.
- Of a person, feeling cold.
- An ancient Native American pueblo in western New Mexico, United States.
- The fruit of the oak, being an oval nut growing in a woody cup or cupule.
- A cone-shaped piece of wood on the point of the spindle above the vane, on the mast-head.
- See acorn-shell.
- A testicle.
- Owning or possessing many acres of land.
- Sharp and harsh, or bitter and not to the taste; pungent.
- Causing heat and irritation; corrosive.
- Caustic; bitter; bitterly irritating.
- of A star in the constellation Crux the Southern Cross
- The univalent radical derived from acrylic acid :- CH2=CH-CO-
- A person who performs in a theatrical play or film.
- One who acts; a doer.
- One who takes part in a situation.
- An advocate or proctor in civil courts or causes.
- One who institutes a suit; plaintiff or complainant.
- One who enacts a certain policy action.
- The entity that performs a role (in use case analysis).
- A former Roman unit of length, equal to 120 Roman feet (about 35½
- A former Roman unit of area, equivalent to a square with sides of 1 actus (about ⅛ ha)
- An old saying which has obtained credit by long use
- An old saying which has been overused or considered a cliché; a trite maxim
- To make suitable; to make to correspond; to fit or suit; to proportion.
- To fit by alteration; to modify or remodel for a different purpose; to adjust
- To make by altering or fitting something else; to produce by change of form or character
- To change oneself so as to be adapted.
- Adapted; fit; suited; suitable.
- A diminutive of the female given names Adele, Adeline, Adelaide and Addison.
- To earn, earn by labor; earn money or one's living.
- To thrive or grow; to ripen.
- Having lost the power of development, and become rotten; putrid
- Unfruitful or confused; muddled.
- Liquid filth; mire.
- Lees; dregs.
- To make addle; to grow addle; to muddle; as, he addled his brain.
- To cause fertilised eggs to lose viability, by killing the developing embryo within through shaking, piercing, freezing or oiling, without breaking the shell.
- A foolish or dull-witted fellow.
- To revoke (a legacy, grant, etc.) or to satisfy it by some other gift.
- name; a rare variant of Adel.
- Soft or liquid animal fat.
- Well skilled; completely versed; thoroughly proficient
- One fully skilled or well versed in anything; a proficient
- A type of affix that is attached to the outside of a stem (an existing word), to form a new word. The adfix category branches into prefixes (ones which appear before the stem) and suffixes (ones which appear after the stem).
- A farewell, a goodbye; especially a fond farewell, or a lasting or permanent farewell.
- The father of one of King David's officials (mentioned in 1 Chronicles 27:29).
- name of biblical origin.
- name transferred from the surname.
- To mingle with something else; to mix.
- name, a variant of Adolph, very rarely given to children since World War II because of its association with Adolf Hitler.
- To take by choice into relationship, definition child, heir, friend, citizen, etc.
- To take voluntarily (a child of other parents) to be in the place of, or as, one's own child.
- To obtain (a pet) from a shelter or the wild.
- To take by choice into the scope of one's responsibility.
- To take or receive as one's own what is not so naturally.
- To select and take or approve.
- To make more beautiful and attractive; to decorate.
- Down, downward; to or in a lower place.
- Dozing, napping, asleep
- Dozing, napping, asleep
- sun-facing side of a mountain
- A fully grown human or animal.
- A person who has reached the legal age of majority, generally 18 years of age.
- Fully grown.
- Intended for or restricted to adults rather than children.
- Containing material of an explicit sexual nature; of, or pertaining to, pornography.
- Vulgar or profane.
- To (cause to) be or become an adult.
- Curved inward, hooked.
- Abnormally dark or over-concentrated; associated with various states of discomfort or illness (specifically being too hot or dry).
- Burnt or having a scorched color.
- The goddess/personification of good health and the glow of health, one of the daughters of Asclepius.
- Short for one of the main belt asteroids.
- A local chapter of the Fraternal Order of Eagles.
- Aged; at the age of.
- to imbue with fear; to affright; to terrify.
- On fire (often metaphorically).
- In a foaming state.
- In a foaming state.
- On foot.
- On foot.
- In motion; in action; astir; stirring; in progress.
- That is on foot, in motion, in action, in progress.
- In a state of collision or entanglement.
- In a state of entanglement or conflict (with).
- A South American bird, Psophia crepitans, allied to the cranes, and easily domesticated.
- absence or nonrecognition of marriage
- asexual reproduction
- In a state of gasping.
- Of the nature of agate, or containing agate.
- A high tide in which the water rises to a given level, recedes, and then rises again.
- A low tide in which the water recedes to a given level, rises, and then recedes again.
- In ancient Roman construction, an earthwork; a mound; a raised work.
- Aggravation; bother.
- Aggressive behaviour; loud, intimidating behaviour that convincingly threatens violence without necessarily actually becoming violent.
- A measure of how belligerent a player is – a high value may inspire either avoidance or preemptive hostile action from enemies.
- Hostile attention from an enemy that should target players with better defenses.
- Liable to attack without being attacked first (said of monsters).
- Hardcore, aggressive.
- To become aggressive towards the player's character.
- Applied to a kind of variegated glass beads of ancient manufacture.
- Having the faculty of quick motion in the limbs; apt or ready to move; nimble;
- Characterised by quick motion
- Of or relating to a technique for iterative and incremental development of software involving collaboration between teams.
- The process of becoming older or more mature.
- Allowing something to become older.
- The deliberate act of making something (such as an antique) appear older than it is.
- Becoming senescent; accumulating damage to macromolecules, cells, tissues and organs with the passage of time
- Elderly person. Only as a collective plural in "the aging"
- Becoming elderly.
- To take to graze or pasture, at a certain sum; used originally of the feeding of cattle in the king's forests, and collecting the money for the same.
- The cover at the tip of a shoelace, to prevent it from fraying.
- A catkin.
- Wrong in the sense of awry, askew, amiss, or distorted.
- Wrong; askew.
- glowing; radiant
- In ancient Greek music, tempo or pace; rhythmical movement.
- Melodic motion upward or downward by successive scale-steps: same as ductus in medieval music.
- A rigorous training regimen for Spartan men in preparation for army service.
- Violent contest or striving.
- Pain so extreme as to cause writhing or contortions of the body, similar to those made in the athletic contests in Greece; and hence, extreme pain of mind or body; anguish; paroxysm of grief; specifically, the sufferings of Christ in the garden of Gethsemane.
- Paroxysm of joy; keen emotion.
- The last struggle of life; death struggle.
- grinning; having happiness or satisfaction apparent on one's face
- a protein involved in the formation of neuromuscular junctions during embryonic development
- psoriasis of the tongue
- In a gushing state.
- In or to the front; in advance; onward.
- In the direction one is facing or moving.
- In or for the future.
- At an earlier time.
- Having progressed more.
- In a heap; huddled together.
- name, variant of Ahmed.
- of Arabic origin.
- name, variant of Ahmad.
- of Arabic origin.
- at the hull of a ship
- Having the sails furled and the helm lashed alee, as during a storm.
- A city in south Iran, capital of the Khuzestan Province.
- form; a tidal bore.
- A semi-servile class among the Cymry.
- Having been directed towards a target.
- One who aims; one who is responsible for aiming.
- Having been uttered or spoken of, such that certain persons are aware.
- Having been broadcast, such as on television or radio.
- A framework upon which laundry is aired; a clotheshorse.
- All inanimate objects.
- One of the ancient kingdoms of Mesopotamia, located in northern Babylonia.
- The capital city of the kingdom of Akkad of uncertain location.
- The name of many places in the United States of America:
- a town in Alabama.
- a statutory town in Colorado
- a town in Henry Township, Indiana.
- a small city in Iowa.
- an unincorporated community in Kansas.
- a village in Michigan.
- an unincorporated community in Missouri.
- an unincorporated community in Nebraska.
- a village in New York.
- a large city in Ohio
- a borough in Pennsylvania.
- an unincorporated community in West Virginia.
- Pertaining to wings.
- Having winglike extensions or parts; winged.
- A winged, reproductive form of several social insects.
- recently; lately; of late.
- Scotland, especially the Highlands.
- A bird of the family Alcidae, including auks, auklets, razorbills, dovekies, guillemots, and puffins.
- name transferred back from the surname.
- A diminutive of the male given name Alexander.
- The first letter of the Proto-Canaanite alphabet, and its descendants in descended Semitic scripts, such as Phoenician Aleph Aramaic Syriac Hebrew and Arabic
- Of the Aleutian Islands, their inhabitants or their language.
- A member of the indigenous people of the Aleutian Islands of Alaska in the United States and of Kamchatka Krai in the Russia.
- A native or inhabitant of the Aleutian Islands.
- The language of the Aleutian Islands, related to Eskimo (Inupiaq and Yupik).
- A cauldron of boiling water into which an accused person plunged his forearm as a test of innocence or guilt.
- name or Alfonso, also used as a formal given name.
- Pertaining to, or like, algae.
- An alga.
- An indigenous language family of North America, comprising Wiyot, Yurok, and many Algonquian languages.
- Cold, chilly; used of low body temperature especially in connection with certain diseases such as malaria and cholera.
- Any of various gelatinous gums, derivatives of alginic acid, derived from algae.
- A tree or wood mentioned in the Bible (2 Chron. ii. 8; 1 K. x. 11), possibly juniper or red sandalwood.
- A primitive, subconscious belieflike attitude which may contradict one's conscious beliefs.
- To form in line; to fall into line.
- To adjust or form to a line; to range or form in line; to bring into line.
- To store (data) in a way that is consistent with the memory architecture, i.e. by beginning each item at an offset equal to some multiple of the word size.
- to identify with or match the behaviour, thoughts, etc of another person.
- organize a linear arrangement of DNA, RNA or protein sequences which have regions of similarity.
- Having resemblance or similitude; similar; without difference.
- In the same manner, form, or degree; in common; equally.
- Resembling or characteristic of ale.
- Having life; living; not dead
- In a state of action; in force or operation; unextinguished; unexpired; existent
- Exhibiting the activity and motion of many living beings; swarming; thronged; busy.
- Sprightly; lively; brisk.
- Having susceptibility; easily impressed; having lively feelings, as opposed to apathy; sensitive.
- out of all living creatues.
- A synthetic resin derived from a reaction between alcohol and certain acids, used as a base for many laminates, paints and coatings.
- To make quiet or put at rest; to pacify or appease; to quell; to calm.
- To alleviate; to abate; to mitigate.
- To subside, abate, become peaceful.
- To mix (metals); to mix with a baser metal; to alloy; to deteriorate.
- alleviation; abatement; check
- A narrow street or passageway, especially one through the middle of a block giving access to the rear of lots or buildings.
- The area between the outfielders, the gap.
- An establishment where bowling is played; bowling alley.
- The extra area between the sidelines or tramlines on a tennis court that is used for doubles matches.
- A walk or passage in a garden or park, bordered by rows of trees or bushes.
- A passageway between rows of pews in a church.
- Any passage having the entrance represented as wider than the exit, so as to give the appearance of length.
- The space between two rows of compositors' stands in a printing office.
- A glass marble or taw.
- a town in central Scotland, which is the administrative centre of council area, and the county town of the historic county of Clackmannanshire between 1822 and 1975
- To grant, give, admit, accord, afford, or yield; to let one have.
- To acknowledge; to accept as true; to concede; to accede to an opinion.
- To grant (something) as a deduction or an addition; especially to abate or deduct.
- To grant license to; to permit; to consent to.
- To not bar or obstruct.
- To acknowledge or concede.
- To take into account by making an allowance.
- To render physically possible.
- To praise; to approve of; hence, to sanction.
- To sanction; to invest; to entrust.
- To like; to be suited or pleased with.
- A metal that is a combination of two or more elements, at least one of which is a metal.
- A metal of lesser value, mixed with a metal of greater value.
- An admixture; something added which stains, taints etc.
- Fusion, marriage, combination.
- To mix or combine; often used of metals.
- To reduce the purity of by mixing with a less valuable substance.
- To impair or debase by mixture.
- The univalent radical, CH2=CH-CH2-, existing especially in oils of garlic and mustard.
- An Egyptian singer or dancing-girl used for entertainment; a dancing-girl, a prostitute.
- On which aloes are growing.
- At, to, or in the air or sky.
- Above, overhead, in a high place; up
- in the top, at the masthead, or on the higher yards or rigging.
- A group of Christian heretics in Asia Minor that flourished around 170 CE.
- unreasonableness; absurdity
- Any member of the Aloidae.
- A glycoside derivative of anthracene, found in aloe, that is used as a laxative.
- By oneself, solitary.
- Apart from, or exclusive of, others.
- Considered separately.
- Without equal.
- Unique; rare; matchless.
- By oneself; apart from, or exclusive of, others; solo.
- Without outside help.
- By the length of; in a line with the length of; lengthwise next to.
- In a line with, with a progressive motion on; onward on; forward on.
- In company; together.
- Onward, forward, with progressive action.
- At or from a distance, but within view, or at a small distance; apart; away.
- Without sympathy; unfavorably.
- Reserved and remote; either physically or emotionally distant; standoffish.
- away from; clear of
- A fish, the (Alosa alosa); the allice or allis.
- The (
- With a loud voice, or great noise; loudly; audibly.
- Audibly, as opposed to silent.
- Spoken out loud.
- An extinct Penutian language spoken in the United States.
- An unincorporated community in Virginia.
- The mountain range in central Asia, where Russia, China, Mongolia and Kazakhstan come together.
- Altay, Xinjiang, China.
- Altay Prefecture.
- A limestone pavement.
- name; always rather rare in English.
- name, a rare variant of Alwin.
- With full force; forcefully, violently.
- At full speed; in great haste.
- Out of control.
- To lower the topsail, in token of surrender; to yield.
- To send away; dismiss.
- A fine or penalty.
- To collect into a mass or heap
- to gather a great quantity of; to accumulate.
- A mass; a heap.
- name borrowed from in the 1990s.
- To stupefy; to knock unconscious.
- To bewilder; to stupefy; to bring into a maze.
- To terrify, to fill with panic.
- To fill with wonder and surprise; to astonish, astound, surprise or perplex.
- To undergo amazement; to be astounded.
- Amazement, astonishment.
- A bookcase; a library or archive.
- A storehouse. (Especially a niche or recess in a wall used for storage.)
- A pantry, or place to store food.
- A cupboard or storage area in a church to hold books, communion vessels, vestments, etc.; an armarium.
- Wrong; faulty; out of order; improper or otherwise incorrect
- Mistakenly, wrongly.
- Fault; wrong; an evil act, a bad deed.
- Friendship. The cooperative and supportive relationship between people, or animals. In this sense, the term connotes a relationship which involves mutual knowledge, esteem, affection, and respect along with a degree of rendering service to friends in times of need or crisis.
- Mutual understanding and a peaceful relationship, especially between nations; peace; accord.
- An ancient people of Israel.
- A city in Idaho.
- Any of various parts of the Agave (or similar) plants, when used as soap
- Other Mexican and North American plants used as soap
- soap plant, a California native plant used for soap
- Denotes a mingling or intermixing with distinct or separable objects. (See Usage Note at amidst)
- Denotes a belonging of a person or a thing to a group.
- Denotes a sharing of a common feature in a group.
- As if dead; lifeless; spiritless; dejected; depressed.
- name, today often transferred back from the surname.
- Large; great in size, extent, capacity, or bulk; spacious; roomy; widely extended.
- Fully sufficient; abundant; plenty
- Not contracted or brief; not concise; extended; diffusive
- In an ample manner.
- A woman's headband (sometimes of metal), for binding the front hair in Ancient Greece.
- the father of Moses (biblical figure)
- In a frantic or frenzied and violent manner; in a confused, jumbled or uncontrolled state.
- An explosive consisting of ammonium nitrate, a derivative of nitrobenzene, chlorated naphthalene, and woodmeal.
- A Khukhrain Punjabi surname.
- Raja Jai Dev Anand, founder of Khukhrain kingdom.
- King Mahapadam Anand, King of Anand Dynasty.
- A city of Gujarat, India.
- To anoint; to give extreme unction to a wound with oil.
- On end; in an upright position.
- Right; continuously.
- Concerning, with regard to, about, in respect to, as to, insofar as, inasmuch as
- In the opinion or judgment of
- Against, in front of, fronting; before; opposite; over against, on the other side
- In a line with; side by side with; on a level with.
- A city/town in North Dakota.
- Displaying or feeling anger.
- Inflamed and painful.
- Dark and stormy, menacing.
- name of mostly Scottish usage.
- A former county in Scotland, which became a local government district in 1975 in Region (abolished 1996), and is now one of Scotland's 32 council areas.
- A black, hornless breed of beef cattle, originally from Scotland.
- A nickname for the 0-8-8-0 train configuration.
- Nigh; near; close by (to).
- Nigh; near.
- Characteristic of a crone or a feeble old woman.
- The skeletal joint which connects the foot with the leg; the uppermost portion of the foot and lowermost portion of the leg, which contain this skeletal joint.
- To walk.
- To cyclically angle the foot at the ankle while pedaling, to maximize the amount of work applied to the pedal during each revolution.
- The personification of death in Breton mythology.
- The hooked goad that is used in India to control elephants.
- An addition, an extension.
- An appendix.
- An addition or extension to a building.
- An addition to the territory of a country or state, from a neighbouring country or state, normally by military force.
- To add something to another thing; to incorporate.
- To attach or connect, as a consequence, condition, etc.
- To join; to be united.
- name. Also, a popular given name in the 19th century.
- To disturb or irritate, especially by continued or repeated acts; to bother with unpleasant deeds.
- To do something to upset or anger someone; to be troublesome.
- To molest; to harm; to injure.
- A feeling of discomfort or vexation caused by what one dislikes.
- That which causes such a feeling.
- To formally revoke the validity of.
- To dissolve (a marital union) on the grounds that it is not valid.
- A comarca in central Catalonia
- an unincorporated community in Indiana, USA.
- a city in Minnesota, USA
- a tiny village in Nebraska, USA.
- Any of the Anolis genus of arboreal American lizards (such as the American chameleon) from the iguana family which feature a brightly colored dewlap and color-changing ability.
- meaning "son of Agnes".
- name transferred from the surname.
- The Avro Anson
- a city in Texas, USA
- restless, apprehensive and fidgety