Page 1 from 8
Total results: 7401
- To lower physically or depress; to stoop; to throw or cast down
- To lower, as in rank, office, condition in life, so as to hurt feelings or cause pain; to depress; to humiliate; to humble; to degrade.
- To lower in value, in particular as altering the content of alloys in coins.
- To make ashamed; to embarrass; to destroy the self-possession of, as by exciting suddenly a consciousness of guilt, mistake, or inferiority; to disconcert; to discomfit.
- To lose self-possession; to become ashamed.
- in the sunshine; basking.
- ABC; alphabet.
- Absey book; abecedary.
- An alphabetical acrostic list.
- Hell; the infernal pit; the great deep; the primal chaos.
- An abyss; a gulf, a chasm, a very deep hole.
- The full attention of one's sight, hearing or other senses, as directed towards a particular object.
- A former Roman unit of length, equal to 120 Roman feet (about 35½
- A former Roman unit of area, equivalent to a square with sides of 1 actus (about ⅛ ha)
- Soft or liquid animal fat.
- Abnormally dark or over-concentrated; associated with various states of discomfort or illness (specifically being too hot or dry).
- Burnt or having a scorched color.
- In a state of gasping.
- To take to graze or pasture, at a certain sum; used originally of the feeding of cattle in the king's forests, and collecting the money for the same.
- In a gushing state.
- Resembling or characteristic of ale.
- A fish, the (Alosa alosa); the allice or allis.
- The (
- An extinct Penutian language spoken in the United States.
- An unincorporated community in Virginia.
- To collect into a mass or heap
- to gather a great quantity of; to accumulate.
- A mass; a heap.
- Wrong; faulty; out of order; improper or otherwise incorrect
- Mistakenly, wrongly.
- Fault; wrong; an evil act, a bad deed.
- An explosive consisting of ammonium nitrate, a derivative of nitrobenzene, chlorated naphthalene, and woodmeal.
- name of mostly Scottish usage.
- A former county in Scotland, which became a local government district in 1975 in Region (abolished 1996), and is now one of Scotland's 32 council areas.
- A black, hornless breed of beef cattle, originally from Scotland.
- A nickname for the 0-8-8-0 train configuration.
- The hooked goad that is used in India to control elephants.
- meaning "son of Agnes".
- name transferred from the surname.
- The Avro Anson
- a city in Texas, USA
- restless, apprehensive and fidgety
- Resembling or characteristic of an ape.
- A white band of cholesterol that forms at the edge of the cornea
- A low, horizontal cloud typically forming at the leading edge of thunderstorm outflow
- An elastic band around the base of the arolium, a pad at the end of the leg of certain insects
- An arc-shaped band of thickened sexine extending between two apertures on a pollen grain or spore
- A city in Greece, in the Peloponnese.
- The dog of Odysseus in Homer's Odyssey.
- A town in Indiana.
- Inclined towards the arts; arty.
- An early Welsh bishop and saint
- A cavity, in the form of a bag or tube, lined with choanocytes, that forms the structure of sponges
- A large, shallow, oval dish used for serving food.
- the head of the Assyrian pantheon, later identified with Anshar
- the city of Assur
- a common given name among Assyrian people
- grandson of Noah in Genesis
- An Ancient Greek pottery vessel used to pour small quantities of liquids such as oil.
- A dish in which ingredients are set into a gelatine, jelly-like substance made from a meat stock or consommé.
- An asp, a small venomous snake of Egypt.
- A piece of ordnance carrying a 12-pound shot.
- Aspish; relating to an asp, a small venomous snake of Egypt.
- A type of round shield borne by ancient Greek soldiers
- An asp or generic venomous snake
- A prominent ring of thickened exine around a pore on a pollen grain
- Trial, attempt, essay.
- Examination and determination; test.
- The qualitative or quantitative chemical analysis of something.
- Trial by danger or by affliction; adventure; risk; hardship; state of being tried.
- Tested purity or value.
- The act or process of ascertaining the proportion of a particular metal in an ore or alloy; especially, the determination of the proportion of gold or silver in bullion or coin.
- The alloy or metal to be assayed.
- To attempt (something).
- To try, attempt ( do something).
- To analyze or estimate the composition or value of (a metal, ore etc.).
- To test the abilities of (someone) in combat; to fight.
- To affect.
- To try tasting, as food or drink.
- dazed; foolish; infatuated
- To besot; to befool; to infatuate.
- An arch or ceiling of boards placed above the workers' heads in a mine.
- In motion; characterized by motion.
- of, a trade union.
- Brimming with liquid.
- Swimming or immersed (in something).
- one of the Gigantes
- A peninsula in Greece containing Mount Athos
- Any of a class of ancient Greek musical instruments resembling pipes or flutes.
- Washed by the waves or tide; said of a rock or strip of shore, or of an anchor, etc., when flush with the surface of the water, so that the waves break over it.
- Covered, overspread.
- (treated as a singular noun; plural babes) Alternative form of babe used as a term of endearment to a loved one.
- The perch; any of various marine and freshwater fish resembling the perch.
- The perineum of a man.
- basic, elementary; relating to, or forming, the base, or point of origin
- associated with the base of an organism or structure
- a minimal level that is necessary, such as a minimum dose of a drug
- In a phylogenetic tree, being a group, or member of a group, which diverged earlier. The earliest clade to branch in a larger clade.
- base, bottom, minimum
- Any basal structure or part
- Founded on; having a basis; often used in combining forms.
- Not caring what others think about his or her personality, style, or behavior; focused on maintaining individuality.
- Being derived from (usually followed by on or upon).
- Having a base
- Having a base of operations.
- A city in Switzerland.
- A city in Switzerland; spelling of
- A city and port in southeast Iraq.
- Describing the reproduction of sound that overemphasizes low-frequency sounds
- An enclosed public swimming pool; originally a place having individual cubicles where people without bathrooms could have a bath.
- pills; drugs in pill form
- A condition of bubbles in the blood which sometimes occurs during ascent.
- The thickest and strongest planks in a wooden ship's side, wales.
- To look at; see; mind; regard; favour.
- To look to; see to; attend to; care for; take care of; provide for; treat; arrange.
- To look about oneself; look to oneself.
- To surround or hem in.
- To attack, especially from all sides.
- To decorate something with jewels etc.
- Of a ship, to get trapped by ice.
- To sit around; sit about; besiege.
- To sit upon.
- To sit properly upon, as clothes; to suit; become.
- A broom made from a bundle of twigs tied onto a shaft.
- A troublesome woman
- To sweep.
- To muddle, stupefy, or act foolishly; as with alcoholic liquor or infatuation.
- To send spies to; beset with espionage.
- A bird of prey of southern Asia, Accipiter virgatus.
- name; today more often spelled Bessie.
- A diminutive form of the female given name Elizabeth.
- Any carbohydrate having two carbon atoms; in reality - glycolaldehyde
- bristling, bristly (of an animal such as a wolf or a bear).
- A frame composed of two strong oak timbers (bitt-heads) fixed vertically in the fore part of a ship, bolted to the deck beams to which are secured the cables when the ship rides to anchor
- A feeling of boredom and no motivation; depression.
- An act of blushing.
- A glow; a flush of colour.
- Feeling or appearance of optimism.
- A sort of makeup, frequently a powder, used to redden the cheeks.
- A color between pink and cream.
- A pale pink wine made by removing the dark grape skins at the required point during fermentation.
- To become red in the face due to shyness, shame, excitement, or embarrassment.
- To become red.
- To suffuse with a blush; to redden; to make roseate.
- To change skin color in the face (to a particular shade).
- To express or make known by blushing.
- To have a warm and delicate colour, like some roses and other flowers.
- The collective noun for a group of boys.
- A brag, a loud positive appraisal of oneself.
- A shot where the ball is driven off a side wall and then strikes the front wall.
- To brag; to talk loudly in praise of oneself.
- To speak of with pride, vanity, or exultation, with a view to self-commendation; to extol.
- To speak in exulting language of another; to glory; to exult.
- To play a boast shot.
- To possess something special.
- To dress, as a stone, with a broad chisel.
- To shape roughly as a preparation for the finer work to follow; to cut to the general form required.
- Counterfeit or fake; not genuine.
- Undesirable or harmful.
- Incorrect, useless, or broken.
- Of a totally fictitious issue printed for collectors, often issued on behalf of a non-existent territory or country (not to be confused with forgery, which is an illegitimate copy of a genuine stamp).
- Based on false or misleading information or unjustified assumptions.
- A liquor made of rum and molasses.
- A throwing weapon made of weights on the ends of interconnected cords, designed to capture animals by entangling their legs.
- A sticky thread whirled around by certain spiders to catch prey.
- A meteor or brilliant shooting star, followed by a train of light or sparks; especially one which explodes.
- imprisonment, captivity
- the condition of goods in a bonded warehouse until duty is paid
- A push from behind, as to one who is endeavoring to climb; help.
- A positive intake manifold pressure in cars with turbochargers or superchargers.
- To lift or push from behind (one who is endeavoring to climb); to push up.
- To help or encourage (something) to increase or improve; to assist in overcoming obstacles.
- To steal.
- To jump-start a vehicle by using cables to connect the battery in a running vehicle to the battery in a vehicle that won't start.
- To give a booster shot to.
- Having abundant bushes, shrubs or trees.
- Caused by trees or shrubs.
- Bushy, bristling.
- The breast or chest of a human (or sometimes of another animal).
- The seat of one's inner thoughts, feelings etc.; one's secret feelings; desire.
- The protected interior or inner part of something; the area enclosed as by an embrace.
- The part of a dress etc. covering the chest; a neckline.
- A woman's breasts.
- Any thing or place resembling the breast; a supporting surface; an inner recess; the interior.
- A depression round the eye of a millstone.
- In a very close relationship.
- To enclose or carry in the bosom; to keep with care; to take to heart; to cherish.
- To conceal; to hide from view; to embosom.
- To belly; to billow, swell or bulge.
- To belly; to cause to billow, swell or bulge.
- Tending to give orders to others, especially when unwarranted; domineering.
- A cow or calf.
- Ornamented with bosses; studded.
- The disease caused by the maggots of the horse bot fly when they infect the stomach of a horse.
- Infection by gadfly maggots under the skin of cows, or by sheep maggots in the frontal sinus of sheep.
- A precision sport where the goal is to roll biased balls (weighted on one side, and called bowls) closer to a smaller white ball (the jack or kitty) than one's opponent is able to do.
- A ball used in the game of bowls
- To drink excessively and socially; to carouse.
- A carouse; a drinking bout; a booze.
- To haul or hoist (something) with a tackle.
- impetuous or rash
- insensitive or tactless
- impudent or shameless
- A rash or eruption; a sudden or transient fit of sickness.
- brittle, as wood or vegetables
- Leaf litter of small leaves and little twigs as found under a hedge.
- Broken and angular rock fragments underlying alluvial deposits.
- Broken fragments of ice.
- Full of liveliness and activity; characterized by quickness of motion or action; lively; spirited; quick.
- Full of spirit of life; effervescing
- Stimulating or invigorating.
- Abrupt, curt in one's manner or in relation to others.
- To make or become lively; to enliven; to animate.
- form of (ritual circumcision)
- In the rural and farming circles, stout and strong; well-built; well fed with brose.
- Semi-liquid (like brose).
- Containing brose.
- An implement consisting of multiple more or less flexible bristles or other filaments attached to a handle, used for any of various purposes including cleaning, painting, and arranging hair.
- A piece of conductive material, usually carbon, serving to maintain electrical contact between the stationary and rotating parts of a machine.
- The act of brushing something.
- Wild vegetation, generally larger than grass but smaller than trees (Wikipedia).
- A short and sometimes occasional encounter or experience.
- The furry tail of an animal, especially of a fox.
- A tuft of hair on the mandibles.
- A short contest, or trial, of speed.
- An instrument, resembling a brush, used to produce a soft sound from drums or cymbals.
- An on-screen tool for "painting" a particular colour or texture.
- In 3D video games, a convex polyhedron, especially one that defines structure of the play area.
- The floorperson of a poker room, usually in a casino.
- (North Wisconsin, uncountable) Evergreen boughs, especially balsam, locally cut and baled for export, usually for use in wreathmaking.
- To clean with a brush.
- To untangle or arrange with a brush.
- To apply with a brush.
- To remove with a sweeping motion.
- To touch with a sweeping motion, or lightly in passing.
- To clean one's teeth by brushing them.
- A purse or bag in which to carry or measure diamonds, etc.
- The ritual tossing of someone into the air to celebrate their birthday.
- An of, or the act of .
- A often or
- A series of fired from an
- To break from internal pressure.
- To cause to break from internal pressure.
- To cause to break by any means.
- To separate formfeed at perforation lines.
- To enter or exit hurriedly and unexpectedly.
- To produce as an effect of bursting.
- Like a bush in having many widely spread branches.
- Growing thickly.
- (Racial slur) Derogatory word used to refer to Afro-textured Hair.
- Having large breasts.
- Postal abbreviation for Cambridgeshire.
- A light, loose dress or robe.
- Low, fertile land; a river valley.
- coma with complete insensibility; deep lethargy
- Having a case or covering; encased or clad.
- Any of the hereditary social classes and subclasses of South Asian societies.
- A separate and fixed order or class of persons in society who chiefly associate with each other.
- A class of ants of a particular size and function within a colony.
- A dishonest person; a rogue; a cheat.
- To stop.
- To stop doing (something).
- To be wanting; to fail; to pass away.
- name of Welsh origin; a variant of Carys.
- A deep, steep-sided rift, gap or fissure; a gorge or abyss.
- A large difference of opinion.
- singular of, i.e. nonstandard version of chews.
- A board game for two players with each beginning with sixteen chess pieces moving according to fixed rules across a chessboard with the objective to checkmate the opposing king.
- Any of several species of grass in the genus Bromus, generally considered weeds.
- One of the platforms, consisting of two or more planks dowelled together, for the flooring of a temporary military bridge.
- A box, now usually a large strong box with a secure convex lid.
- A coffin.
- The place in which public money is kept; a treasury.
- A chest of drawers.
- The portion of the front of the human body from the base of the neck to the top of the abdomen; the thorax. Also the analogous area in other animals.
- A hit or blow made with one's chest.
- To hit with one's chest (front of one's body)
- To deposit in a chest.
- To place in a coffin.
- Debate; quarrel; strife; enmity.
- Jaws, mouth.
- One's skill at musical interpretation and delivery (originally of jazz); musical performance ability.
- One's skill at any endeavor; ability, talent.
- The area where two tides meet and cause an irregular (choppy) sea.
- A pattern that involves carrying the object with the hand over the next object before throwing it.
- To talk, chat; also, to talk back, to be cheeky.
- A squat, rounded form of oenochoe with a trefoil mouth.
- A diminutive of the male given names Christopher and, less commonly, of Christian.
- A diminutive of the female name Christina and of its variant forms.
- A loud sound.
- A skirmish, a hostile encounter.
- a match; a game between two sides.
- An angry argument
- Opposition; contradiction; such as between differing or contending interests, views, purposes etc.
- A combination of garments that do not look good together, especially because of conflicting colours.
- An instance of restarting the game after a "dead ball", where it is dropped between two opposing players, who can fight for possession.
- to make a loud clash
- to come into violent conflict
- to argue angrily
- to not look good together.
- to coincide, to happen at the same time, thereby rendering it impossible to attend all.
- to face each other in an important game.
- A fastener or holder, particularly one that clasps.
- An embrace, a grasp, or handshake.
- To take hold of; to grasp; to grab tightly.
- To shut or fasten together with, or as if with, a clasp.
- A group, collection, category or set sharing characteristics or attributes.
- A social grouping, based on job, wealth, etc. In Britain, society is commonly split into three main classes; upper class, middle class and working class.
- The division of society into classes.
- Admirable behavior; elegance.
- A group of students in a regularly scheduled meeting with a teacher.
- A series of classes covering a single subject.
- A group of students who commenced or completed their education during a particular year. A school class.
- A category of seats in an airplane, train or other means of mass transportation.
- A rank in the classification of organisms, below phylum and above order; a taxon of that rank.
- Best of its kind.
- A collection of sets definable by a shared property.
- A group of people subject to be conscripted in the same military draft, or more narrowly those persons actually conscripted in a particular draft.
- A set of objects having the same behavior (but typically differing in state), or a template defining such a set.
- One of the sections into which a Methodist church or congregation is divided, supervised by a class leader.
- To assign to a class; to classify.
- To be grouped or classed.
- To divide into classes, as students; to form into, or place in, a class or classes.
- great; fabulous
- To remove a gap.
- To obstruct (an opening).
- To move so that an opening is closed.
- To make (e.g. a gap) smaller.
- To grapple; to engage in close combat.
- To finish, to terminate.
- To put an end to; to conclude; to complete; to finish; to consummate.
- To come to an end.
- To make a sale.
- To make the final outs, usually three, of a game.
- To terminate an application, window, file or database connection, etc.
- To come or gather around; to enclose; to encompass; to confine.
- To have a vector sum of 0; that is, to form a closed polygon.
- An end or conclusion.
- The manner of shutting; the union of parts; junction.
- A grapple in wrestling.
- The conclusion of a strain of music; cadence.
- A double bar marking the end.
- Closed, shut.
- Narrow; confined.
- At a little distance; near.
- Intimate; well-loved.
- Of a corporation or other business entity, closely held.
- Oppressive; without motion or ventilation; causing a feeling of lassitude.
- Hot, humid, with no wind.
- Articulated with the tongue body relatively close to the hard palate.
- Strictly confined; carefully guarded.
- Out of the way of observation; secluded; secret; hidden.
- Nearly equal; almost evenly balanced.
- Dense; solid; compact.
- Concise; to the point.
- Difficult to obtain.
- Parsimonious; stingy.
- Adhering strictly to a standard or original; exact.
- Accurate; careful; precise; also, attentive; undeviating; strict.
- Marked, evident.
- An enclosed field.
- A street that ends in a dead end.
- A very narrow alley between two buildings, often overhung by one of the buildings above the ground floor.
- The common staircase in a tenement.
- A cathedral close.
- The interest which one may have in a piece of ground, even though it is not enclosed.
- The game of ninepins.
- A disease in the feet of cattle; laminitis.
- The side or edge of something.
- The edge of the land where it meets an ocean, sea, gulf, bay, or large lake.
- A region of land; a district or country.
- A region of the air or heavens.
- To glide along without adding energy.
- To sail along a coast.
- Applied to human behavior, to make a minimal effort, to continue to do something in a routine way. This implies lack of initiative and effort.
- To draw near to; to approach; to keep near, or by the side of.
- To sail by or near; to follow the coastline of.
- To conduct along a coast or river bank.
- To slide downhill; to slide on a sled upon snow or ice.
- Brya ebenus, a Caribbean flowering tree.
- The Titan of intelligence; the father of Leto and Asteria.