Page 1 from 11
Total results: 10527
- A person who, without right, enters into a freehold on the death of the last possessor, before the heir or devisee.
- One who abates, ends, or does away with a nuisance.
- name transferred from the surname.
- Islamic act of washing parts of the body using water for ritual prayers and for handling and reading the Qur'an; of
- To take away by force; to carry away (a human being) wrongfully and usually with violence or deception; to kidnap.
- To draw away, as a limb or other part, from its ordinary position; to move similar parts apart.
- Characterized by avoidance or withdrawal.
- Rejected; cast aside.
- Sunk to or existing in a low condition, state, or position.
- Cast down in spirit or hope; degraded; servile; grovelling; despicable; lacking courage; offered in a humble and often ingratiating spirit.
- Showing utter hopelessness, helplessness; showing resignation; wretched.
- A person in the lowest and most despicable condition; a castaway; outcast.
- To cast off or out; to reject.
- To cast down; hence, to abase; to degrade; to lower; to debase.
- To wash oneself.
- To wash.
- Broken away (from restraint).
- Without notice to prepare the mind for the event; sudden; hasty; unceremonious.
- Curt in manner; brusque; rude; uncivil; impolite.
- Having sudden transitions from one subject or state to another; unconnected; disjointed.
- Broken off.
- Extremely steep or craggy as if broken up; precipitous.
- Suddenly terminating, as if cut off; truncate.
- To tear off or asunder.
- To interrupt suddenly.
- Something which is abrupt; an abyss.
- Being away from a place; withdrawn from a place; not present; missing.
- Not existing; lacking.
- Inattentive to what is passing; absent-minded; preoccupied.
- Absentee; a person who is away on occasion.
- In the absence of; without.
- To keep (oneself) away.
- To keep (someone) away.
- Stay away; withdraw.
- To stand apart from; to leave off; to desist.
- In a bursting condition.
- A unit of electrical potential equal to one hundred millionth of a volt (10-8 volts), used in the centimeter-gram-second system of units.
- A unit of electrical power equal to one ten-millionth of a watt (10-7 watts), used in the centimeter-gram-second system of units.
- A higher-pitched or stronger articulation of a particular syllable of a word or phrase in order to distinguish it from the others or to emphasize it.
- Emphasis or importance in general.
- A mark or character used in writing, in order to indicate the place of the spoken accent, or to indicate the nature or quality of the vowel marked.
- Modulation of the voice in speaking; the manner of speaking or pronouncing; a peculiar or characteristic modification of the voice, expressing emotion; tone.
- The distinctive manner of pronouncing a language associated with a particular region, social group, etc., whether of a native speaker or a foreign speaker; the phonetic and phonological aspects of a dialect.
- A distinctive manner of producing a sign language, such as someone who does not normally use a certain sign language might have when using it.
- A word; a significant tone or sound.
- Expressions in general; speech.
- Stress laid on certain syllables of a verse.
- A regularly recurring stress upon the tone to mark the beginning, and, more feebly, the third part of the measure.
- A special emphasis of a tone, even in the weaker part of the measure.
- The rhythmical accent, which marks phrases and sections of a period.
- The expressive emphasis and shading of a passage.
- A mark used to represent specific stress on a note.
- A mark placed at the right hand of a letter, and a little above it, to distinguish magnitudes of a similar kind expressed by the same letter, but differing in value, as y', y''.
- A mark at the right hand of a number, indicating minutes of a degree, seconds, etc., as in 12' 27'', meaning twelve minutes and twenty-seven seconds.
- A mark used to denote feet and inches, as in 6' 10'', meaning six feet ten inches.
- Emphasis laid on a part of an artistic design or composition; an emphasized detail, in particular a detail in sharp contrast to its surroundings.
- A very small gemstone set into a piece of jewellery.
- A distinctive feature or quality.
- To express the accent of vocally; to utter with accent.
- To mark emphatically; to emphasize; to accentuate; to make prominent.
- To mark with written accents.
- To receive, especially with a consent, with favour, or with approval.
- To admit to a place or a group.
- To regard as proper, usual, true, or to believe in.
- To receive as adequate or satisfactory.
- To receive or admit to; to agree to; to assent to; to submit to.
- To endure patiently.
- To agree to pay.
- To receive officially.
- To receive something willingly.
- To summon.
- To quote.
- To excite.
- To induce.
- To approach and speak to boldly or aggressively, as with a demand or request.
- To join side to side; to border; hence, to sail along the coast or side of.
- To approach; to come up to.
- To speak to first; to address; to greet.
- To adjoin; to lie alongside.
- To solicit sexually.
- To assault (the most common modern usage).
- Address; greeting.
- An attack.
- Of, pertaining to, or producing vinegar
- Of or pertaining to acetic acid or its derivatives
- the triglyceride of acetic acid
- The lowest groups of animals, in which no nervous system has been observed.
- Temporarily assuming the duties or authority of another person when they are unable to do their job.
- An intended action or deed.
- The occupation of an actor.
- The deeds or actions of parties are called actings to avoid confusion with the legal senses of deeds and actions.
- Something done so as to accomplish a purpose.
- A way of motion or functioning.
- A fast-paced activity.
- A mechanism; a moving part or assembly.
- The mechanism, that is the set of moving mechanical parts, of a keyboard instrument, like a piano, which transfers the motion of the key to the sound-making device.Marshall Cavendish Corporation Growing Up with Science p.1079
- sexual intercourse.
- The distance separating the strings and the fretboard on the guitar.
- A charge or other process in a law court (also called lawsuit and actio).
- A mapping from a pairing of mathematical objects to one of them, respecting their individual structures. The pairing is typically a Cartesian product or a tensor product. The object that is not part of the output is said to act on the other object. In any given context, action is used as an abbreviation for a more fully named notion, like group action or left group action.
- The event or connected series of events, either real or imaginary, forming the subject of a play, poem, or other composition; the unfolding of the drama of events.
- The attitude or position of the several parts of the body as expressive of the sentiment or passion depicted.
- spin put on the bowling ball.
- A share in the capital stock of a joint-stock company, or in the public funds.
- To act on a request etc, in order to put it into effect.
- To initiate a legal action against someone.
- a promontory of Acarnania in Ancient Greece where and Cleopatra were defeated by Octavian in a naval battle in 31 BC
- Like, characteristic, or typical of an actor
- Existing in act or reality, not just potentially; really acted or acting; occurring in fact.
- Factual, real, not just apparent or even false.
- In action at the time being; now existing; current.
- Active, not passive.
- Used to emphasise a noun or verb, whether something is real or metaphorical.
- An actual, real one; notably:
- Something actually received; real receipts, as distinct from estimated ones.
- A radio callsign modifier that specifies the commanding officer of the unit or asset denoted by the remainder of the callsign and not the officer's assistant or other designee.
- Sharpened; sharp-pointed.
- To sharpen; to make pungent; to quicken.
- Sharpness or acuteness, as of a needle, wit, etc.
- A fine cotton cloth of India.
- An atom that lies on a crystal surface
- A person who is addicted, especially to a harmful drug
- An adherent or fan (of something)
- To cause someone to become addicted, especially to a drug
- To involve oneself in something habitually, to the exclusion of almost anything else.
- To adapt; to make suitable; to fit.
- To draw towards a center or a middle line.
- The product of an addition reaction
- To exhort; to advise.
- To set in order; to array.
- Any of a group of solar deities, the sons of Aditi and Kashyapa.
- name used in India.
- To modify.
- To improve or rectify.
- To settle an insurance claim.
- To change to fit circumstances.
- Linked or fused to something unlike itself.
- Growing with one side adherent to a stem; applied to the lateral zooids of corals and other compound animals. in fish, having the eyes fused and unable to rotate independently
- Floating at random.
- Absent from his watch.
- Behind one's opponents, or below a required threshold in terms of score, number or position.
- In a drifting condition; at the mercy of wind and waves.
- Deft, dexterous, or skillful.
- To transport something by advection
- An advertisement, an ad.
- To turn attention.
- To call attention, refer; construed with to.
- The innermost sanctuary or shrine in ancient temples, whence oracles were given.
- A private chamber; a sanctum.
- To supply oxygen or air.
- To influence or alter.
- To move to emotion.
- Of an illness or condition, to infect or harm (a part of the body).
- To dispose or incline.
- To tend to by affinity or disposition.
- To assign; to appoint.
- To aim for, to try to obtain.
- To feel affection for (someone); to like, be fond of.
- To show a fondness for (something); to choose.
- To make a show of; to put on a pretence of; to feign; to assume. To make a false display of.
- One's mood or inclination; mental state.
- A desire, an appetite.
- A subjective feeling experienced in response to a thought or other stimulus; mood, emotion, especially as demonstrated in external physical signs.
- Covered with water bearing floating articles; flooded.
- Out at sea.
- Making successful progress under one's own steam.
- in front; face to face
- in front of
- Unfairly discriminatory against someone based on their age.
- A person who behaves in an ageist manner.
- Terrified; struck with amazement; showing signs of terror or horror.
- A relative whose relation is traced only through male members of the family.
- Any paternal male relative.
- Related to someone by male connections or on the paternal side of the family.
- allied; akin
- Having a similar semantic meaning.
- A rodent similar in appearance to a guinea pig but having longer legs.
- A fur containing a pattern of pigmentation in which individual hairs have several bands of light and dark pigment with black tips; any of several genes responsible for this pigmentation.
- helpful, assisting
- A tip, originally of metal and often decorative, on a ribbon or cord that makes lacing two parts of a garment or garments together easier, as in corset lacings, "points" (lacing hose or trousers to jacket or doublet) or sleeves to a bodice.
- An ornament worn on clothing, consisting of a metal tag on a fringe, or a small metallic plate or spangle.
- a city in Minnesota, USA
- A stuffed jacket worn under the mail, or (later) a jacket plated with mail.
- A type of extinct breed of domesticated dog, related to the modern bulldog and mastiff, or modern breeds created in imitation of it.
- a white alloy of copper, nickel and zinc, once used to make cheap cutlery etc
- Although, despite (it) being.
- One of the Furies
- A female given name.
- Any way, by any means.
- Anyway, in any case; notwithstanding; at all events; yet.
- To make light or less heavy; lighten; alleviate.
- To get off or exit a vehicle or animal; to descend; to dismount.
- To descend and settle, lodge, rest, or stop.
- To find by accident
- To light; light up; illuminate.
- To set light to; light.
- Lit, on fire, switched on.
- Lit; on fire, burning.
- the brightest star in Ursa Major.
- To allure; to entice.
- A market town in Cumbria, England.
- A village in Devon, England.
- A village in Lancashire, England.
- A small town in Georgia, USA.
- Of or pertaining to a hypothetical grouping of languages that includes the Turkic, Mongolic, and Tungusic and less often the Japanese and Korean languages. The most familiar modern languages of this group include Turkish, Mongolian and, more controversially, Japanese and Korean.
- A silicate of hafnium, thorium and zirconium
- Composed entirely of polished steel plates without fabric or other such covering, white.
- Polished plate armour worn uncovered by cloth.
- Overwhelmed, confused.
- In the midst or middle of; surrounded or encompassed by; among.
- An amorous girl or woman; a wanton.
- A petty love affair.
- A love knot, love token, or love song.
- The total, aggregate or sum of material
- A quantity or volume.
- The number (the sum) of elements in a set.
- To total or evaluate.
- To be the same as or equivalent to.
- To go up; to ascend.
- An amphibious vehicle of a class introduced in World War II.
- A kind of protective charm or ornament, often bearing magical symbols, worn for protection against ill will, negative influences or evil spirits.
- The idea that there is no separate self or soul; egolessness. One of the three marks of existence.
- A derivative of the achiote (Bixa orellana) trees of tropical regions of the Americas used as a red food coloring and as a flavoring.
- Over against.
- About; concerning; anent.
- Narrow; strait; contracted; not spacious.
- A dam made in a stream for maintaining and regulating irrigation.
- A piece of jewelry/jewellery, resembling a bracelet but worn around the ankle.
- A phyllosilicate mineral related to biotite.
- To smear or rub over with oil or an unctuous substance; also, to spread over, as oil.
- To apply oil to or to pour oil upon, etc., as a sacred rite, especially for consecration.
- To choose or nominate somebody for a leading or otherwise important position, especially formally or officially, or as an intended successor.
- To mark somebody as an official ruler, especially a king or queen, as a part of a religious ceremony.
- A rare congenital deformity where the pinna or auricle, the outer projected portion of the ear, is completely absent.
- That has a handle or a part that resembles a handle.
- The realm or world of ants; ants collectively.
- The state or essence of an ant.
- Located before, or in front.
- The epithet of the Greek goddess Hera
- A choral or vocal composition, often with a religious or political lyric.
- A hymn of praise or loyalty.
- A very popular song or track.
- To celebrate with anthems.
- The pollen-bearing part of the stamen of a flower.
- The two projecting feathered angles of the forehead of some birds; the frontal points.
- A poison obtained from the upas tree.
- The practice of some birds of rubbing live ants or occasionally other items into the feathers, possibly as a means of controlling parasites.
- Of or pertaining to an antrum.
- A county in the north-east of Northern Ireland, also known as County Antrim.
- A town in Northern Ireland that is the administrative centre of County Antrim.
- Strange, rare, unusual.
- A bodily cavity, especially one having bony walls, especially one in the sinuses.
- Of or relating to the aorta.
- Complete lack of emotion or motivation about a person, activity, or object; depression; lack of interest or enthusiasm; disinterest.
- A young ape.
- A small species of ape.
- The planet that has the most influence on a person's life.
- candidiasis, oral thrush, thrush
- An oral ulcer, disregarding the cause.
- foot-and-mouth disease
- A fine-grained granitic rock composed mostly of quartz and feldspars.
- To divide into plots or parts; to apportion.
- The supposed paranormal transference of an object from one place to another, or the appearance of an object from an unknown source, often associated with poltergeist activity and séances.
- A subdivision of the Early (Lower) Cretaceous epoch.
- A noun (sensu lato) which has no distinction of cases; an indeclinable noun.
- A transliteration of the Arabic surname.
- The wood of the strawberry tree.
- Full of ardor; fervent, passionate.
- Burning; glowing; shining.
- The metal silver.
- The white or silver tincture on a coat of arms.
- Whiteness; anything that is white.
- of silver or silver-coloured.
- of white or silver tincture on a coat of arms.
- Sharp; perceptive; shrewd.
- A band that is worn on the arm that for ornamental or identification purposes.
- A small arm.
- The cavity beneath the junction of the arm and shoulder.
- Somewhere or something considered unpleasant or undesirable.
- An inhabitant of Albania and neighboring mountainous regions, especially an Albanian serving in the Turkish army.
- to dispel, to drive away
- A pre-metric French unit of length, having various official measures.
- A pre-metric French unit of area, having various official measures.
- To direct.
- To impute.
- Lifted up; raised; erect.
- Attentive, like a person listening.
- An efferent blood vessel from the heart, conveying blood away from the heart regardless of oxygenation status; see pulmonary artery.
- A major transit corridor.
- Performed with, or characterized by, art or skill.
- Artificial; imitative.
- Using or exhibiting much art, skill, or contrivance; dexterous; skillful.
- Cunning; disposed to cunning indirectness of dealing; crafty; as, an artful boy. [The usual sense.]
- A village in Illinois
- A city in Iowa
- A rural municipality in Manitoba, Canada
- A village in Nebraska
- A ghost town in Nevada
- A city in North Dakota
- A town and a community in Wisconsin
- Guinness stout.
- even; not odd; said of elementary substances and radicals whose valence is divisible by two without a remainder.
- In an arty fashion.
- A person who creates art.
- A person who creates art as an occupation.
- A person who is skilled at some activity.
- A recording artist.
- An aboriginal language of Australia
- The act of ascending; a motion upwards.
- The way or means by which one ascends.
- An eminence, hill, or high place.
- The degree of elevation of an object, or the angle it makes with a horizontal line; inclination; rising grade.
- The ascender height in a typeface.
- An increase, for example in popularity or hierarchy
- Being self-derived, in contrast to being derived from or dependent on another; being self-existent, having independent existence.
- A common place name in England.
- derived from the place names.
- name transferred from the surname.
- A town in South Australia, Australia.
- A ghost town in California, US.
- A city in Idaho, US.
- A village in Illinois, US.
- A city/town in Iowa, US.
- A village in Nebraska, US.
- A city/town in South Dakota, US.
- Lack of appetite; loathing of food.
- Aslant, or sloping.
- Aslant, or askance, or sideways
- at a slant
- diagonally over or across
- Any specific feature, part, or element of something.
- The way something appears when viewed from a certain direction or perspective.
- The way something appears when considered from a certain point of view.
- A phase or a partial, but significant view or description of something.
- One's appearance or expression.
- Position or situation with regard to seeing; that position which enables one to look in a particular direction; position in relation to the points of the compass.
- Prospect; outlook.
- A grammatical quality of a verb which determines the relationship of the speaker to the internal temporal flow of the event the verb describes, or whether the speaker views the event from outside as a whole, or from within as it is unfolding.
- The relative position of heavenly bodies as they appear to an observer on earth; the angular relationship between points in a horoscope.
- The act of looking at something; gaze.
- Appearance to the eye or the mind; look; view.
- In aspect-oriented programming, a feature or component that can be applied to parts of a program independent of any inheritance hierarchy.
- Forest land cleared for agriculture.
- The act or offence of grubbing up trees and bushes, and thus destroying the thickets or coverts of a forest.
- To clear forest land for agriculture; remove stumps.
- an assertion; a section of source code which tests whether an expected condition is true.
- To declare with assurance or plainly and strongly; to state positively.
- To use or exercise and thereby prove the existence of.
- To maintain or defend, as a cause or a claim, by words or measures; to vindicate a claim or title to
- To make true; to make equal to 1.
- To stand (at a place) or to (an opinion).
- To attend
- To help.
- To make a pass that leads directly towards scoring.
- To help compensate for what is missing with the help of a medical technique or therapy.
- A helpful action or an act of giving.
- The act of helping another player score points or goals
- A decisive pass made to the goal scorer
- A defensive play, allowing a teammate to record a putout}}.
- To sort or arrange according to characteristic or class.
- To be of a kind with.
- To be associated with; to consort with.
- To furnish with, or make up of, various sorts or a variety of goods.
- To cause to start; startle; start up; jump.
- To start up.
- To get away, escape; escape from.
- To be escaped from.
- To stun, paralyse, astound.
- In a stooping or inclined position.
- To store; to furnish with stores.The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia, via Wordnik.com (accessed 19 March 2016)
- Relating to or resembling the stars; starry.
- Relating to an aster.
- Relating to a supposed supersensible substance taking the form of an aura discernible to certain gifted individuals.
- In a wrong or unknown and wrongly-motivated direction.
- Sticking out, or puffed out; swelling.
- In a strutting manner; with a strutting gait.
- quickly and critically discerning
- shrewd or crafty
- A kettledrum; a kind of tabor used by the Moors.
- A high medieval Turkish feudal title, originally charged with the caretaking and mentoring of the realm's crown prince.
- Fully rigged, as a vessel; with all sails set; set on end or set right.
- ancestral, atavistic
- Lack of coordination while performing voluntary movements, which may appear to be clumsiness, inaccuracy, or instability.
- The condition of a polymer in which the orientation of the subunits is random
- Disorder; irregularity.
- Pertaining to ataxia.
- The influence of a star upon other stars or upon human beings.
- a simple substitution cipher in which each occurrence of the first letter of the alphabet is substituted with the last, second with next to last, and so on
- Presenting an action or event as being incomplete.
- The capital city of Greece.
- A city in Alabama, USA
- A city in Georgia, USA, consolidated with as Athens-Clarke County.
- A city in Illinois.
- An unincorporated community hamlet in Henry Township, Indiana, USA.
- A village in Louisiana.
- A town in Maine.
- A village in Michigan.
- A town and village in New York.
- A city in Ohio.
- A township in Ontario, Canada.
- A borough in Pennsylvania.
- A city in Tennessee
- A city in Texas
- A town in Vermont.
- A town in West Virginia.
- A village in Wisconsin.
- meaning "son of Atkin (Adam)".
- A spearthrower consisting of a wooden stick with a thong or perpendicularly protruding hook on the rear end that grips a grove or socket on the butt of its accompanying spear (or dart), intended to steady the spear immediately prior to throwing, to increase its potential range when thrown, and to increase its force of penetration of the target.
- the incapability of a woman to conceive and give birth to children
- Lacking a tonal center or key.
- Not tonal, lacking tones.
- Lacking muscle tone.
- Characterized by atony, or want of vital energy.
- Pertaining to or suffering from atopy.
- To surpass or outdo in counsel.
- Of or pertaining to an atrium, especially the atrium of the heart.
- jet-black in color.
- To arrest, seize.
- To fasten, to join to (literally and figuratively).
- To adhere; to be attached.
- To come into legal operation in connection with anything; to vest.
- To win the heart of; to connect by ties of love or self-interest; to attract; to fasten or bind by moral influence; with to.
- To connect, in a figurative sense; to ascribe or attribute; to affix; with to.
- To take, seize, or lay hold of.
- An attempt to cause damage, injury to, or death of opponent or enemy.
- An attempt to detract from the worth or credibility of, a person, position, idea, object, or thing, by physical, verbal, emotional, or other assault.
- A time in which one attacks. The offence of a battle.
- Collectively, the bowlers of a cricket side.
- Any contact with the ball other than a serve or block which sends the ball across the plane of the net.
- The three attackmen on the field or all the attackmen of a team.
- The sudden onset of a disease or condition.
- An active episode of a chronic or recurrent disease.
- The onset of a musical note, particularly with respect to the strength (and duration) of that onset.
- The amount of time it takes for the volume of an audio signal to go from zero to maximum level (e.g. an audio waveform representing a snare drum hit would feature a very fast attack, whereas that of a wave washing to shore would feature a slow attack).
- To apply violent force to someone or something.
- To aggressively challenge a person, idea, etc., with words (particularly in newspaper headlines, because it typesets into less space than "criticize" or similar).
- To begin to affect; to act upon injuriously or destructively; to begin to decompose or waste.
- To deal with something in a direct way; to set to work upon.
- To aim balls at the batsman’s wicket.
- To set a field, or bowl in a manner designed to get wickets.
- To bat aggressively, so as to score runs quickly.
- To move forward in an active attempt to score a point, as opposed to trying not to concede.
- To accelerate quickly in an attempt to get ahead of the other riders.
- To accomplish; to achieve.
- To get at the knowledge of; to ascertain.
- To reach or come to, by progression or motion; to arrive at.
- To come or arrive, by motion, growth, bodily exertion, or efforts toward a place, object, state, etc.; to reach.
- To reach in excellence or degree; to equal.
- To overtake.
- To pierce; to attack.
- To broach; to begin.
- To take to task; tax; reprove; blame.
- To listen to (something or someone); to pay attention to; regard; heed.
- To listen (
- To turn one's consideration ( to deal with (a task, problem, concern etc.), to look after.
- To wait upon as a servant etc.; to accompany to assist (someone).
- To be present at (an event or place) in order to take part in some action or proceedings; to regularly go to (an event or place).
- To go to (a place) for some purpose (with
- To be present with; to accompany; to be united or consequent to.
- To wait for; to await; to remain, abide, or be in store for.
- Attentive, heedful; intent.
- Venomous; poisonous.
- Cruel; fierce; ill-natured.
- Poisonous; venomous
- Purulent; containing pus or matter
- Bad-tempered; spiteful; quarrelsome; peevish; angry; hot-headed
- Cold; bleak; grim
- Cold, bleak weather.
- To transfer one's obligations from a person to another person.
- To consent to the transfer of one's obligations as tenant under a lease to a new landlord.
- To entrap; to ensnare.
- to bring into musical accord
- to tune an instrument
- to bring into harmony or accord.
- Twisted; distorted; awry
- To blame; reproach; twit.
- An English topographic surname for someone who lived near a wood.
- A small city in Kansas, USA
- that has no type; devoid of typical character; irregular; unlike the type
- The first decade of a century, such as 1900 to 1909 or 2000 to 2009, whose digit in the tens place is zero. The oughts, the noughties.
- A variety of pyroxene, usually of a black or dark green color, occurring in igneous rocks, such as basalt.
- Any of several small seabirds in the genera Aethia, Cerorhinca and Ptychoramphus of the auk family Alcidae.
- Of, like, or characteristic of an aunt.
- In the manner of an aunt.
- Any salt of auric acid.
- One skilled in treating and curing disorders of the ear.
- a variant of Austin.
- English novelist.
- The capital city of the state of Texas in the United States of America.
- A county in Texas.
- A city in Minnesota, USA
- An unincorporated community and CDP in Nevada, which was the county seat until 1979.
- name, in modern usage transferred back from the surname.
- A former make of British motor car.
- A creative artist, especially a film director, seen as having a specific, recognisable artistic vision, and who is seen as the single or preeminent ‘author’ of his works.
- The originator or creator of a work, especially of a literary composition.
- (the author) I, me. definition
- Someone who writes books for a living.
- The works of an author or authors.
- To create a work as its author.
- Pervasive neurological disorder that is observable in early childhood and persists throughout the lifespan, characterised by atypical communication, language development, eye contact, and sensory experiences.
- of (disorder); generalization of the specific to a range
- Diagnosis involving a pathological tendency to engage in self-centered fantasy thinking, historically considered a symptom of insanity and/or schizophrenia.
- A vaunt; a boast.
- To advance; to move forward; to elevate.
- To depart; to move away.
- To vaunt; to boast.
- The sacred texts of Zoroastrianism, composed in the Avestan language.
- Avestan language.
- To operate an aircraft.
- relating to a grandfather or ancestor
- An advocate, a lawyer
- Any of four species of wading birds in the genus Recurvirostra, of the family Recurvirostridae, with long, slender recurved bills, long legs, and webbed feet.
- A grallatorial bird, of the genus Recurvirostra; the scooper. The bill is long and bend upward toward the tip.
- Pertaining to azote, or nitrogen; formed or consisting of azote
- Fatal to animal life.
- A believer in Babism.
- A meteorite or similar-looking rough stone thought to be of divine origin and worshipped as sacred.
- Agent noun of bait; one who baits, as with a fishhook.
- A troll who deliberately posts aggravating messages on a message board to elicit responses.
- Manilkara bidentata, a large South American tree that yields latex and edible yellow berries.
- A classical form of dance.
- A theatrical presentation of such dancing, usually with music, sometimes in the form of a story.
- The company of persons who perform this dance.
- A light part song, frequently with a fa-la-la chorus, common among Elizabethan and Italian Renaissance composers.
- A bearing in coats of arms representing one or more balls, called bezants, plates, etc., according to colour.
- To perform an action reminiscent of ballet dancing.
- Originally, a small ball placed in a container to cast a vote; now, by extension, a piece of paper or card used for this purpose, or some other means used to signify a vote.
- The process of voting, especially in secret; a round of voting.
- The total of all the votes cast in an election.
- A list of candidates running for office; a ticket.
- To vote or decide by ballot.
- To draw lots.
- To tumble; dance clumsily.
- To become tangled or matted.
- To tread down in a clumsy manner.
- To tangle; clot; mat (as in the hair).
- Good-humoured, playful, typically spontaneous conversation.
- To engage in banter or playful conversation.
- To play or do something amusing.
- To tease (someone) mildly.
- To joke about; to ridicule (a trait, habit, etc.).
- To delude or trick; to play a prank upon.
- To challenge to a match.
- Any of many birds of the family Capitonidae, within the order Piciformes
- A breed of small dog, with long curly hair.
- A larva that feeds on aphids.
- A mineral, barium sulphate, with the chemical formula BaSO4.
- a city in Florida, USA
- Any of several compounds of barium, especially barium sulphate and barium hydroxide.
- A lightweight container, generally round, open at the top, and tapering toward the bottom.
- A wire or plastic container similar in shape to a basket, used for carrying articles for purchase in a shop.
- In an online shop, a notional place to store items before ordering them.
- A circular hoop, from which a net is suspended, which is the goal through which the players try to throw the ball.
- The act of putting the ball through the basket, thereby scoring points.
- The game of basketball.
- A dance movement in some line dances, where men put their arms round the women's lower backs, and the women put their arms over the mens' shoulders, and the group (usually of four, any more is difficult) spins round, which should result in the women's feet leaving the ground.
- A manbulge.
- In a stage-coach, two outside seats facing each other.
- A protection for the hand on a sword or a singlestick; a guard of a bladed weapon.
- A singlestick with a basket hilt.
- Where the pilot and passengers are.
- The bell or vase of the Corinthian capital.
- To place in a basket or in baskets.
- Having been cooked by basting.
- A member of the Basotho people.
- sweet potato (the plant).
- A boy employed to watch over the bats, and assist the players in retrieving them during play.
- Rich; fertile, as in reference to land or soil.
- Overdone or treacly attempts to inspire pathos.
- Risible failure on the part of a work of art to properly affect its audience, particularly owing to
- anticlimax: an abrupt transition in style or subject from high to low.
- banality: unaffectingly cliché or trite treatment of a topic.
- immaturity: lack of serious treatment of a topic.
- hyperbole: excessiveness
- The ironic use of such failure for satiric or humorous effect.
- A nadir, a low point particularly in one's career.
- Apart from; except.
- A short bat for beating clothes when washing them.
- Any ray or skate of the superorder Batoidea
- A single combat.
- fertile; fruitful; productive
- To make fertile.
- To be supplied with provisions from the buttery.
- Provisions ordered from the buttery; also, the charges for them.
- To become better; improve in condition, especially by feeding.
- To feed to revel
- To thrive by feeding; grow fat; feed oneself gluttonously.
- To thrive, prosper, or live in luxury, especially at the expense of others; fare sumptuously.
- To gratify a morbid appetite or craving; gloat.
- To improve by feeding; fatten; make fat or cause to thrive due to plenteous feeding.
- To fertilize or enrich, as land.
- A thin strip of wood used in construction to hold members of a structure together or to provide a fixing point.
- A long strip of wood, metal, fibreglass etc., used for various purposes aboard ship, especially one inserted in a pocket sewn on the sail in order to keep the sail flat.
- In stagecraft, a long pipe, usually metal, affixed to the ceiling or fly system in a theater.
- The movable bar of a loom, which strikes home or closes the threads of a woof.
- To furnish with battens.
- To fasten or secure a hatch etc using battens.
- to hit or strike violently and repeatedly.
- to coat with batter (the food ingredient).
- to defeat soundly; to thrash
- To intoxicate
- To flatten (metal) by hammering, so as to compress it inwardly and spread it outwardly.
- A beaten mixture of flour and liquid (usually egg and milk), used for baking (e.g. pancakes, cake, or Yorkshire pudding) or to coat food (e.g. fish) prior to frying
- A binge, a heavy drinking session.
- A paste of clay or loam.
- A bruise on the face of a plate or of type in the form.
- To slope (of walls, buildings etc.).
- An incline on the outer face of a built wall.
- The player attempting to hit the ball with a bat.
- The player attempting to hit the ball with a bat; a batsman.
- A form of hunting in which game is forced into the open by the beating of sticks on bushes etc.
- The game thus forced into the open.
- A hunt performed in this manner.
- A springboard in a circus or gymnasium.
- A seaside city on the Black Sea coast and capital of Adjara, an autonomous republic in southwest Georgia.
- A silver coin minted in Bern, Switzerland from the 15th century until the mid-19th century, equal to 10 rappen.
- One who receives a beating.
- repeatedly struck
- mixed by paddling with a wooden spoon or other implement
- Someone or something that beats.
- A kitchen implement for mixing.
- A stick used to play a percussion instrument.
- A man who drives game towards shooters in a hunting party, often working in a group.
- A papermaking machine for processing fibres by fibrillation in order to improve bonding strength
- An automobile in poor operating condition.
- A sleeveless undershirt.
- A person who has been beatified.
- The property, quality or state of being "that which pleases merely by being perceived" (Aquinas); that which is attractive, pleasing, fine or good looking; comeliness.
- Someone who is beautiful.
- Something that is particularly good or pleasing.
- An excellent or egregious example of something.
- The excellence, e.g. the genius
- A beauty quark (now called bottom quark).
- Beauty treatment; cosmetology.
- Prevailing style or taste; rage; fashion.
- Of high quality, well done.
- To blot all over; stain.
- A short piece of rope spliced to form a circle
- A loop of rope with a knot at one end to catch in an eye at the other endUS FM 55-501 MARINE CREWMAN’S HANDBOOK; 1 December 1999. Used to secure oars etc. at their place.
- A loop of thread, typically braided, attached at each end to a jacket. Used to pass through the brooch bar of medals to affix them to the jacket without damaging it.
- The clevis of a pulley block.
- An eye in the end of a rope.
- A method of joining fabric, for example the doors of a tent, by interlacing loops of cord (beckets) through eyelet holes and adjacent loops.
- A spade for digging turf.
- To cover or defile with dirt.
- A form of rented accommodation consisting of a single room for use as both sitting room and bedroom; there may also be a small kitchen area and washing and toilet facilities, but these may be shared.
- To entrust; endow.
- To give a gift or gifts to; bestow or present with gifts.
- To give as a gift.
- To surround or enclose
- A command, bidding; sometimes also, an authoritative request.
- A vow; a promise.
- To promise; vow.
- The capital city of Lebanon.
- The drinking game of beer pong.
- To knit.
- To girdle or encircle.
- To retard; cause something to be late; delay; benight.
- A city in Kansas, USA, and the county seat of Mitchell County.
- A village in Ohio
- A city and town in Wisconsin
- To call (someone) a lout.
- To address or speak of with contemptuous language.
- (of a garment) Fitted with a belt.
- Wearing a belt.
- (of breeds of cattle) Characterized by a white band around the body.
- an unincorporated community in Kentucky, USA.
- a city in Missouri, USA.
- a city in South Carolina, USA.
- a city in Texas, USA
- a community in Ontario, Canada.
- a village in England
- a village in Lincolnshire, England
- a village in England
- To bespatter, as with mud.
- To cover or envelop with mist, or as with mist.
- To annotate or make notes upon, especially excessively.
- to chide or scold vehemently
- Pained by the loss of someone.
- Deprived of, lacking, stripped of, robbed of.
- A diminutive of Bertram, Albert or of any male given names ending in -bert.
- To blacken with smut; foul with soot.
- To soil with soot; blacken with soot; besmut.
- To suit; fit; become.
- Something fitting or appropriate; suitable company, associates, or attendants.
- To spit upon; soil with spittle.
- To make spots on; mark with spots; cover with or as with blots or blemishes.
- To secure or steady; cause to come to a fixed position or state; bring to a halt or stop.
- To put into brisk or vigorous action; to move with life and vigor.
- To make active; to rouse oneself.
- To lay up in store; deposit for safe keeping; stow; place.
- To lodge, or find quarters for; provide with accommodation.
- To dispose of.
- To give; confer; impart gratuitously; present something to someone or something, especially as a gift or honour.
- To give in marriage.
- To apply; make use of; use; employ.
- To behave or deport.
- To set with or as with studs; adorn with bosses.
- To beteach.
- To take over to; take across (to); deliver.
- To seize; lay hold of; take.
- To take oneself to; go or move; repair; resort; have recourse.
- To commit to a specified action.
- To commend or entrust to; to commit to.
- To take oneself.
- To talk about; discuss; tell; count; give an account (of).
- To talk repeatedly.
- To tear; tear around the sides of; tatter.
- To wet with tears.
- To permit; allow; suffer.
- To grant, vouchsafe (something to someone); accord; give.
- To bestow; afford; allow; deign.
- To bring forth; produce; shed.
- To pour all about.
- To speak or tell about; declare; narrate; describe.
- To speak for; answer for; justify.
- To lay claim to; win; rescue.
- To talk about negatively; slander; calumniate; deride; deceive.
- To happen to.
- To happen; to take place; to bechance or befall.
- To occur; betide.
- To worry or exercise with toil.
- To endow with a tone; give a special tone to; place stress upon; accentuate; emphasise.
- Any plant of the genus Stachys.
- an herb used in traditional European medicine.
- Any plant of the genus Pedicularis (louseworts).
- Torn in pieces; tattered.
- To catch in a trap; entrap; ensnare; circumvent; enclose.
- To furnish (a horse) with trappings; deck; adorn.
- To deliver into the hands of an enemy by treachery or fraud, in violation of trust; to give up treacherously or faithlessly
- To prove faithless or treacherous to, as to a trust or one who trusts; to be false to; to deceive
- To violate the confidence of, by disclosing a secret, or that which one is bound in honor not to make known.
- To disclose or discover, for example something which prudence would conceal; to reveal unintentionally
- To mislead; to expose to inconvenience not foreseen to lead into error or sin.
- To lead astray; to seduce (as under promise of marriage) and then abandon.
- To show or to indicate something not obvious at first, or would otherwise be concealed.
- To set in order; to adorn, deck, or embellish.
- To trim (anything) about.
- More, in reference to value, distance, time, etc.
- An entity, usually animate, deemed superior to another; one who has a claim to precedence; a superior.
- To improve.
- To become better; to improve.
- To surpass in excellence; to exceed; to excel.
- To give advantage to; to support; to advance the interest of.
- Had better.
- A person who makes a bet, such as a wager on the outcome of a game of chance or a sporting event.
- To the west of.
- A coin made of gold or silver, minted at Byzantium and used in currency throughout mediaeval Europe.
- The heraldic representation of a gold coin.
- the Republic of India.
- A traditional water-carrier of South Asia.
- A form of spear having two prongs
- bullion in the bar or mass
- Double; growing in pairs or couples.
- To perform bination; to hold Mass twice on the same day.