Page 1 from 9
Total results: 8666
- A canton of Switzerland (its German name).
- A table or tray strewn with sand, anciently used for drawing, calculating, etc.
- A calculating table or frame; an instrument for performing arithmetical calculations by balls sliding on wires, or counters in grooves, the lowest line representing units, the second line, tens, etc.
- The uppermost portion of the capital of a column, immediately under the architrave.
- A board, tray, or table, divided into perforated compartments, for holding cups, bottles, or the like; a kind of cupboard, buffet, or sideboard.
- To draw; to conduct away; to take away; to withdraw; to draw to a different part; to move a limb out away from the center of the body;abduct.
- To draw a conclusion, especially in metanalysis; to deduce.
- To take away by force; to carry away (a human being) wrongfully and usually with violence or deception; to kidnap.
- To draw away, as a limb or other part, from its ordinary position; to move similar parts apart.
- To be unlike; to differ.
- Blushing; ruddy.
- Blushing; ruddy.
- To wash oneself.
- To wash.
- To be full to overflowing.
- To be wealthy.
- To be highly productive.
- To be present or available in large numbers; to be plentiful.
- To revel in.
- To be copiously supplied;
- A red ocher used to darken mahogany and for making chloride of potassium.
- Broken away (from restraint).
- Without notice to prepare the mind for the event; sudden; hasty; unceremonious.
- Curt in manner; brusque; rude; uncivil; impolite.
- Having sudden transitions from one subject or state to another; unconnected; disjointed.
- Broken off.
- Extremely steep or craggy as if broken up; precipitous.
- Suddenly terminating, as if cut off; truncate.
- To tear off or asunder.
- To interrupt suddenly.
- Something which is abrupt; an abyss.
- To consume gradually; to waste away.
- Absence of willpower or decisiveness, especially as a symptom of mental illness.
- Relating to, characterized by, or affected with abulia.
- In a bursting condition.
- Having been a victim of some form of abuse, most commonly child abuse or domestic violence.
- Overused; used profligately or in excess.
- One who abuses someone or something.
- One who uses in an illegal or wrongful use.
- The cashew tree. Lesley, ed. The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary. 5th. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2003.
- A cashew nut.
- The wood from the mahogany tree or other trees from the family Meliaceae.
- A moderate reddish brown that is slightly yellower and stronger than mahogany panel
- To increase, to augment; to come to by way of increase; to arise or spring as a growth or result; to be added as increase, profit, or damage, especially as the produce of money lent.
- To be incurred as a result of the passage of time.
- To become an enforceable and permanent right.
- Something that accrues; advantage accruing
- To recline, as at table.
- One of the small grains or drupelets which make up some kinds of fruit, as the blackberry, raspberry, etc.
- A grape-stone.
- One of the granular masses which constitute a racemose or compound gland, as the pancreas; also, one of the saccular recesses in the lobules of a racemose gland.
- a promontory of Acarnania in Ancient Greece where and Cleopatra were defeated by Octavian in a naval battle in 31 BC
- Existing in act or reality, not just potentially; really acted or acting; occurring in fact.
- Factual, real, not just apparent or even false.
- In action at the time being; now existing; current.
- Active, not passive.
- Used to emphasise a noun or verb, whether something is real or metaphorical.
- An actual, real one; notably:
- Something actually received; real receipts, as distinct from estimated ones.
- A radio callsign modifier that specifies the commanding officer of the unit or asset denoted by the remainder of the callsign and not the officer's assistant or other designee.
- Sharpened; sharp-pointed.
- To sharpen; to make pungent; to quicken.
- Sharpness or acuteness, as of a needle, wit, etc.
- Quickness of perception or discernment; penetration of mind; the faculty of nice discrimination.
- A sharp, tapering point extending from a plant.
- A bony, often sharp, protuberance, especially that of the ischium.
- To bring forward or offer, as an argument, passage, or consideration which bears on a statement or case; to cite; to allege.
- To draw towards a center or a middle line.
- The product of an addition reaction
- To modify.
- To improve or rectify.
- To settle an insurance claim.
- To change to fit circumstances.
- an adjective used as a noun (sensu stricto), an absolute adjective
- an adjective
- The innermost sanctuary or shrine in ancient temples, whence oracles were given.
- A private chamber; a sanctum.
- an upward rush of fluid
- The rise in water level (above normal) on the upstream side of a bridge or obstruction caused when the effective flow area at the obstruction is less than the natural width of the stream immediately upstream of the obstruction.
- flushed, blushing
- A rodent similar in appearance to a guinea pig but having longer legs.
- A fur containing a pattern of pigmentation in which individual hairs have several bands of light and dark pigment with black tips; any of several genes responsible for this pigmentation.
- A rectangular piece of patterned cloth, used in traditional South American communities to carry children, goods, etc.
- To dress; to array.
- dress; clothing
- Characteristic of ague
- Helpful, assisting, providing aid.
- Full of purpose.
- A painful constriction of the base of the fifth toe, frequently followed by autoamputation, occurring predominantly in black Africans and their descendants.
- A spiritual leader in Persia and parts of Central Asia.
- A danger signal or warning.
- A call to arms.
- To sound alarums, to sound an alarm.
- A type of extinct breed of domesticated dog, related to the modern bulldog and mastiff, or modern breeds created in imitation of it.
- The bleak, a small European fish with silvery scales.
- Of or relating to the algae, or seaweeds; algal.
- To refer to something indirectly or by suggestion.
- An old liquid measure.
- a pear-shaped pot with an opening at each end, formerly used for sublimation.
- Pertaining to the alula.
- A female pupil or student (especially of a university or college).
- A female graduate.
- An individual alumnus or alumna.
- The channel of a river.
- The act of concealing oneself and lying in wait to attack by surprise.
- An attack launched from a concealed position.
- The troops posted in a concealed place, for attacking by surprise; those who lie in wait.
- To station in ambush with a view to surprise an enemy.
- To attack by ambush; to waylay.
- A foetus born without limbs.
- Someone not a party to a case who submits a brief and/or presents oral argument in that case.
- The total, aggregate or sum of material
- A quantity or volume.
- The number (the sum) of elements in a set.
- To total or evaluate.
- To be the same as or equivalent to.
- To go up; to ascend.
- A kind of protective charm or ornament, often bearing magical symbols, worn for protection against ill will, negative influences or evil spirits.
- The sediment in olive oil.
- Pleasurably entertained.
- Displaying amusement.
- Enjoying humor aspects (of something).
- Someone who amuses.
- One who diverts attention, usually to distract or bewilder, often for fraudulent purposes; hence a cheat, deceiver or thief.
- One of a class of rogues who carry snuff or dust in their pockets, which they throw into the eyes of people so as to enable their accomplices to rob them while pretending to help them.
- The inability to comprehend or respond to music.
- Wanting in muscle; without flesh.
- A wen or spongy wart on the legs or flanks of a horse.
- Any member of the Anguidae.
- Narrow; strait; contracted; not spacious.
- A dam made in a stream for maintaining and regulating irrigation.
- The basic impulses and instincts which govern one's actions.
- A feeling of enmity, animosity or ill will.
- The masculine aspect of the feminine psyche or personality.
- Happening once every year.
- Of, for, or relating to a whole year, often as a recurring cycle; determined or reckoned by the year; accumulating in the course of a year; performed, executed, or completed over the course of a year. See also
- Having a life cycle that is completed in only one growing season; e.g. beans, corn, marigold. See Annual plant in Wikipedia. Compare
- Living or lasting just one season or year, as certain insects or insect colonies.
- An annual publication; a book, periodical, journal, report, comic book, yearbook, etc., which is published serially once a year, which may or may not be in addition to regular weekly or monthly publication.
- An annual plant; a plant with a life span of just one growing season; a plant which naturally germinates, flowers and dies in one year. Compare
- A medical checkup taking place once a year.
- A bodily cavity, especially one having bony walls, especially one in the sinuses.
- name used by many people in or from India.
- Any amphibian of the order Anura; a frog, a toad.
- Of or relating to the order Anura.
- A condition in which the kidneys do not produce urine.
- Of, pertaining to, causing or afflicted with anuria.
- The Barbary sheep, Ammotragus lervia.
- name, notably borne by a Roman politician of the 4th and 3rd century BC, builder of the Appian Way
- The wood of the strawberry tree.
- Of or pertaining to an arc.
- to argue without any aim; to dispute; wrangle; to disagree
- Sharp; perceptive; shrewd.
- The amount an arm or arms can hold.
- A protective layer over a body, vehicle, or other object intended to deflect or diffuse damaging forces.
- A natural form of this kind of protection on an animal's body.
- Metal plate, protecting a ship, military vehicle, or aircraft.
- A tank, or other heavy mobile assault vehicle.
- A military formation consisting primarily of tanks or other armoured fighting vehicles, collectively.
- The naturally occurring surface of pebbles, rocks or boulders that line the bed of a waterway or beach and provide protection against erosion.
- To equip something with armour or a protective coating or hardening.
- To provide something with an analogous form of protection.
- a small city in South Dakota, USA
- A fabric woven with a raised pattern similar to chain mail.
- An inhabitant of Albania and neighboring mountainous regions, especially an Albanian serving in the Turkish army.
- Defining a circle or closed curve containing a thing.
- Following the perimeter of a specified area and returning to the starting point.
- Following a path which curves near an object, with the object on the inside of the curve.
- Near; in the vicinity of.
- At various places in.
- Alive; existing.
- From place to place.
- From one state or condition to an opposite or very different one; with a metaphorical change in direction; bringing about awareness or agreement.
- Partially or completely rotated, including to face in the opposite direction.
- To stimulate feelings.
- To sexually stimulate.
- To wake from sleep or stupor.
- Performed with, or characterized by, art or skill.
- Artificial; imitative.
- Using or exhibiting much art, skill, or contrivance; dexterous; skillful.
- Cunning; disposed to cunning indirectness of dealing; crafty; as, an artful boy. [The usual sense.]
- A village in Illinois
- A city in Iowa
- A rural municipality in Manitoba, Canada
- A village in Nebraska
- A ghost town in Nevada
- A city in North Dakota
- A town and a community in Wisconsin
- Guinness stout.
- An aboriginal language of Australia
- A city in northeastern Tanzania.
- Sticking out, or puffed out; swelling.
- In a strutting manner; with a strutting gait.
- quickly and critically discerning
- shrewd or crafty
- A place of safety.
- The protection, physical and legal, afforded by such a place.
- A place of protection or restraint for one or more classes of the disadvantaged, especially the mentally ill.
- Fully rigged, as a vessel; with all sails set; set on end or set right.
- jet-black in color.
- to bring into musical accord
- to tune an instrument
- to bring into harmony or accord.
- A song or poem greeting or evoking the dawn.
- A morning love song; a song of lovers parting in the morning.
- An English patronymic surname.
- name from the same source, or transferred from the surname.
- name of American usage since the 1970s.
- A person whose mental imagery consists of sounds.
- Pertaining to hearing.
- The action of comprehending and retaining the information in speech that is heard, as opposed to merely hearing it or listening to it.
- Of, pertaining to, or characteristic of Augeas.
- Hence, very filthy.
- A quantity to which another is added.
- The first decade of a century, such as 1900 to 1909 or 2000 to 2009, whose digit in the tens place is zero. The oughts, the noughties.
- A variety of pyroxene, usually of a black or dark green color, occurring in igneous rocks, such as basalt.
- A divination based on the appearance and behaviour of animals.
- An omen or prediction; a foreboding; a prophecy.
- An event that is experienced as indicating important things to come.
- Any of several small seabirds in the genera Aethia, Cerorhinca and Ptychoramphus of the auk family Alcidae.
- To figure or variegate.
- A crude balance for weighing, and a kind of weight, formerly used in England.
- Of, like, or characteristic of an aunt.
- In the manner of an aunt.
- Any salt of auric acid.
- A gold coin, minted in the Roman Empire from approximately 100 to 309 equal to 25 denarii.
- Any anion of gold; any salt containing such an anion.
- One skilled in treating and curing disorders of the ear.
- Relating to gold.
- Containing gold.
- Containing univalent gold.
- An Australian.
- An Australian Shepherd dog.
- Australian dollar.
- a variant of Austin.
- English novelist.
- The capital city of the state of Texas in the United States of America.
- A county in Texas.
- A city in Minnesota, USA
- An unincorporated community and CDP in Nevada, which was the county seat until 1979.
- name, in modern usage transferred back from the surname.
- A former make of British motor car.
- A creative artist, especially a film director, seen as having a specific, recognisable artistic vision, and who is seen as the single or preeminent ‘author’ of his works.
- The originator or creator of a work, especially of a literary composition.
- (the author) I, me. definition
- Someone who writes books for a living.
- The works of an author or authors.
- To create a work as its author.
- Pervasive neurological disorder that is observable in early childhood and persists throughout the lifespan, characterised by atypical communication, language development, eye contact, and sensory experiences.
- of (disorder); generalization of the specific to a range
- Diagnosis involving a pathological tendency to engage in self-centered fantasy thinking, historically considered a symptom of insanity and/or schizophrenia.
- A vaunt; a boast.
- To advance; to move forward; to elevate.
- To depart; to move away.
- To vaunt; to boast.
- A broad street, especially one bordered by trees.
- A way or opening for entrance into a place; a passage by which a place may be reached; a way of approach or of exit.
- The principal walk or approach to a house which is withdrawn from the road, especially, such approach bordered on each side by trees; any broad passageway thus bordered.
- A method or means by which something may be accomplished.
- To declare freely and openly; to assert.
- To acknowledge deliberately; to admit; to confess; to sanction.
- To confirm or verify, to affirm the validity of.
- To appeal to; to cite or claim as authority.
- evidence; declaration
- To tear off forcibly.
- Fat; grease; especially the fat of pigs or geese; usually (Pharm.), lard prepared for medical use.
- Of an azure color; sky-blue.
- In fortification, a kind of portcullis or gate, made like a pitfall, with a counterpoise, and supported by two large stakes.
- Type of drawbridge.
- An amount; the contents of one full bag.
- A large assortment.
- Unruly or wild person.
- The capital of the Central African Republic.
- The capital of the Gambia.
- Full of obstructions.
- The amount of people in a bar.
- A sailing vessel of three or more masts, with all masts but the sternmost square-rigged, the sternmost being fore-and-aft-rigged
- any small sailing vessel
- a sailing vessel or boat of any kind
- A member of the Basotho people.
- Rich; fertile, as in reference to land or soil.
- A form of hunting in which game is forced into the open by the beating of sticks on bushes etc.
- The game thus forced into the open.
- A hunt performed in this manner.
- A springboard in a circus or gymnasium.
- A seaside city on the Black Sea coast and capital of Adjara, an autonomous republic in southwest Georgia.
- A cheap showy ornament piece of jewellery; a gewgaw.
- A club or sceptre carried by a jester.
- A small shiny spherical decoration, commonly put on Christmas trees.
- of ( spelling of).
- singular of spelling of
- A person who has been beatified.
- The property, quality or state of being "that which pleases merely by being perceived" (Aquinas); that which is attractive, pleasing, fine or good looking; comeliness.
- Someone who is beautiful.
- Something that is particularly good or pleasing.
- An excellent or egregious example of something.
- The excellence, e.g. the genius
- A beauty quark (now called bottom quark).
- Beauty treatment; cosmetology.
- Prevailing style or taste; rage; fashion.
- Of high quality, well done.
- To bump thoroughly; belabour.
- To make busy; occupy.
- a Mediterranean fish.
- To cover or deck out with curls.
- To curl; make curly.
- To smear upon; to soil.
- To ornament garishly; to overdecorate.
- To drug abundantly or excessively.
- To duck or immerse thoroughly; submerge.
- To make a duke.
- To behave or dress as a duke.
- To make or render dumb, or mute.
- To cover with dung or manure.
- To bedaub or defile.
- To make foul; to soil.
- To entangle or run against so as to impede motion.
- To befool; deceive; balk; jilt.
- An illusion; trick; cheat.
- Draped; ornamented with something hanging.
- The capital city of Lebanon.
- The drinking game of beer pong.
- Any climbing woody vine of the tropics with the habit of a liana; in the Philippines, especially any of various species of Calamus, the cane or rattan palm.
- To load with praise; praise greatly; extol.
- To call (someone) a lout.
- To address or speak of with contemptuous language.
- To bespatter, as with mud.
- To maul thoroughly or completely.
- To confuse or bewilder.
- To devote to the Muses.
- To make numb, as by cold or anesthetic.
- To deaden.
- To puff; praise fulsomely; bepraise.
- To blacken with smut; foul with soot.
- To imbue or endow with a soul.
- To set with or as with studs; adorn with bosses.
- A tropical South American tree, the greenheart.
- Enough to fill a bin.
- A coarse kind of thick woollen cloth, worn by the poor in the Middle Ages.
- A woollen cap or hood worn over the shoulders or head.
- The capital of Guinea-Bissau.
- The compound formed by condensation of two molecules of urea with the loss of a molecule of ammonia, (NH2-CO)2NH, or any of its derivatives
- One side of an echinoderm, including a pair of ambulacra, in distinction from the opposite side ( which includes three ambulacra.
- A women's overgarment worn in 12th-century Western Europe, featuring voluminous skirts and horizontal puckering or pleating across a snugly fitted underbust abdomen.
- Resembling or characteristic of a blouse; loose, flowing.
- The act of bludging.
- Easy work.
- To live off the earnings of a prostitute.
- To not earn one's keep, to live off someone else or off welfare when one could be working.
- To avoid one's responsibilities; to leave it to others to perform duties that one is expected to perform.
- To do nothing, to be idle, especially when there is work to be done.
- To take some benefit and give nothing in return.
- In a blue manner; bluishly.
- Characteristic of, or similar to, the blues (a genre of music).
- The state of being blue; blueness.
- Having bluffs, or bold steep banks.
- Inclined to be brusque.
- Euphemistic for bloody.
- Euphemistic for bloody.
- A substance used in laundry to whiten clothes; blue
- Any of several processes to protect steel against rust
- Having a tint or hue similar to the colour blue.
- Somewhat depressed; sad.
- To mix clay and water.
- Not clear, crisp, or focused; having fuzzy edges.
- Not clear, not with well-defined boundaries.
- Suffused with blushes or blushlike hues.
- Embarrassed, blushing; feeling as though one might blush.
- a city in western Germany
- An immigrant from Central Europe.
- A brawny or coarse person.
- A geometric pattern sometimes observed on the surface of superfluid helium-3
- A species of tree ( native to Baja California, Mexico.
- A flowing wide-sleeved robe worn by men in much of West Africa, and to a lesser extent in North Africa.
- Any of various passerine birds of the genus Laniarius.
- A Cajun sausage originating in Southern Louisiana made from rice, ground pork (occasionally crawfish), and spices in sausage casing.
- (in plural; also water-bougets) A charge resembling the water bags that were used to supply the army in battle.
- A bend; flexure; curve; a hollow angle.
- A bend or hollow in a human or animal body.
- A curve or bend in a river, mountain chain, or other geographical feature.
- The part of a sling that contains the stone.
- A fold, bend, or coil in a tail, snake's body etc.
- To change the direction of motion after hitting an obstacle.
- To move quickly up and then down, or vice versa, once or repeatedly.
- To cause to move quickly up and down, or back and forth, once or repeatedly.
- To suggest or introduce (an idea, etc.) to (off or by) somebody, in order to gain feedback.
- To leap or spring suddenly or unceremoniously; to bound.
- To move rapidly (between).
- To be refused by a bank because it is drawn on insufficient funds.
- To fail to cover (a draft presented against one's account).
- To leave.
- To eject violently, as from a room; to discharge unceremoniously, as from employment.
- (sometimes employing the preposition with) To have sexual intercourse.
- To attack unexpectedly.
- To turn power off and back on; to reset
- To return undelivered.
- To land hard and lift off again due to excess momentum.
- To land hard on unsurvivable velocity with fatal results.
- To bully; to scold.
- To strike or thump, so as to rebound, or to make a sudden noise; to knock loudly.
- To boast; to bluster.
- A change of direction of motion after hitting the ground or an obstacle.
- A movement up and then down (or vice versa), once or repeatedly.
- An email return with any error.
- The sack, licensing.
- A bang, boom.
- A drink based on brandy.
- A heavy, sudden, and often noisy, blow or thump.
- Bluster; brag; untruthful boasting; audacious exaggeration; an impudent lie; a bouncer.
- Scyllium catulus, a European dogfish.
- A genre of New Orleans music.
- A 'good' beat.
- A talent for leaping.
- Easily bounced.
- Lively, exuberant, energetic.
- Something given liberally.
- A reward for some specific act, especially one given by a government or authority.
- Formerly, money paid to volunteers for serving in the British navy in time of war.
- as much as a box will hold
- a pastoral people of Eastern Baluchistan
- the Dravidian language of this people
- A strong dialectal accent. In Ireland it used to be a term for Irish spoken with a strong English accent, but gradually changed to mean English spoken with a strong Irish accent as English control of Ireland gradually increased and Irish waned as the standard language.
- A strong Oxford shoe, with ornamental perforations and wing tips.
- A heavy shoe of untanned leather.
- To speak with a brogue (accent).
- To walk.
- To kick.
- To punch a hole in, as with an awl.
- to fish for eels by disturbing the waters
- The Malayan sun bear.
- A bird in the bushshrike family found in sub-Saharan Africa (
- To strike (a person), originally with something flat or heavy, but now specifically in such a way as to discolour the skin without breaking it.
- To damage the skin of (fruit), in an analogous way.
- Of fruit, to gain bruises through being handled roughly.
- To become bruised.
- To fight with the fists; to box.
- A purplish mark on the skin due to leakage of blood from capillaries under the surface that have been damaged by a blow.
- A dark mark on fruit caused by a blow to its surface.
- Belonging to winter; winterlike; wintry.
- Occurring in winter.
- A wild or feral horse.
- Having a similar texture to a fox’s tail; brushlike, bushy.
- Of the countryside: having thick vegetation, taller than grass but shorter than trees; having abundant brush; shrubby.
- violent, vicious, ruthless, or cruel
- Crude or unfeeling in manner or speech.
- Harsh; unrelenting
- Disagreeably precise or penetrating
- In extreme metal, to describe the speed of the music and the density of riffs.
- Any of several North African antelopes of the genus
- Any of several African buffalos of the genus Bubalus.
- A person who steals plate from public houses.
- A drinking bowl.
- A very good drinker.
- A spherically contained volume of air or other gas, especially one made from soapy liquid.
- A small spherical cavity in a solid material.
- Anything resembling a hollow sphere.
- A period of intense speculation in a market, causing prices to rise quickly to irrational levels as the metaphorical bubble expands, and then fall even more quickly as the bubble bursts (eg the South Sea Bubble).
- Someone who has been ‘bubbled’ or fooled; a dupe.
- The emotional and/or physical atmosphere in which the subject is immersed; circumstances, ambience.
- a Greek (also: bubble and squeak)
- A small, hollow, floating bead or globe, formerly used for testing the strength of spirits.
- The globule of air in the spirit tube of a level.
- Anything lacking firmness or solidity; a cheat or fraud; an empty project.
- A laugh. (also: bubble bath)
- Any of the small magnetized areas that make up bubble memory.
- The point in a poker tournament when the last player without a prize loses all their chips and leaves the game, leaving only players that are going to win prizes. (e.g., if the last remaining 9 players win prizes, then the point when the 10th player leaves the tournament)
- To produce bubbles, to rise up in bubbles (such as in foods cooking or liquids boiling).
- To churn or foment, as if wishing to rise to the surface.
- To cheat, delude.
- To cry, weep.
- Full of bubbles.
- Cheerful, lively.
- Having the characteristics of bubbles.
- Having the characteristics of economic bubbles.
- Covered in buboes.
- Candied coconut meat.
- Of or relating to the cheek or, more rarely, the mouth.
- On the side facing the cheek.
- Administered in the mouth, not by swallowing but by absorption through the skin of the cheek; often by placing between the top gum and the inside of the lip.
- A framework or grill upon which meat is laid to dry, or to be roasted.
- Meat prepared in this way.
- To dry meat on such a frame.
- an administrative district in Aberdeenshire, Scotland
- and (Clan Buchan). Of note is John Buchan, the author.
- A horse or other animal that bucks.
- One who bucks ore.
- A broad-headed hammer used in bucking ore.
- A poor white person.
- A transpersonal faculty of mind higher than the rational mind that might be translated as ‘intuitive intelligence’ or simply ‘higher mind’. It is ‘that which knows’, ie. able to discern truth from falsehood.
- An apparatus on which crushed ore is washed.
- To use a buddle.
- A little bud springing from a parent bud.
- Someone or something that buffs.
- A solution used to stabilize the pH (acidity) of a liquid.
- A portion of memory set aside to store data, often before it is sent to an external device or as it is received from an external device.
- (mechanical) Anything used to maintain slack or isolate different objects.
- A routine or storage medium used to compensate for a difference in rate of flow of data, or time of occurrence of events, when transferring data from one device to another.
- A device on trains and carriages designed to cushion the impact between them.
- The metal barrier to help prevent trains from running off the end of the track.
- An isolating circuit, often an amplifier, used to minimize the influence of a driven circuit on the driving circuit.
- A buffer zone (such as a demilitarized zone) or a buffer state.
- A good-humoured, slow-witted fellow, usually an elderly man.
- A gap that isolates or separates two things.
- To use a buffer or buffers; to isolate or minimize the effects of one thing on another.
- To store data in memory temporarily.
- To maintain the acidity of a solution near a chosen value by additing an acid or a base.
- A sort of coarse material.
- Containing a bug
- (of software, website, feature, etc) Affected by a bug.
- Ornamented with bugles.
- Someone who plays a bugle.
- Relating to, or having the form of a bulb; used especially of the medulla oblongata.
- Shaped like a bulb.
- A separable bulb formed on some flowering plants.
- A bulb-shaped bud in the place of a flower or in a leaf axil.
- A small hollow bulb, such as an enlargement in a small vessel or tube.
- wheat grains that have been steamed, dried and crushed; a staple of Middle Eastern cooking.
- A bulk dry goods cargo ship.
- A person employed to ascertain the bulk or size of goods, in order to fix the amount of freight or dues payable on them.
- A projectile, usually of metal, shot from a gun at high speed.
- An entire round of unfired ammunition for a firearm, including the projectile, the cartridge casing, the propellant charge, etc.
- Ammunition for a sling or slingshot which has been manufactured for such use.
- A printed symbol in the form of a solid circle, (•), often used in lieu of numbers for marking items in a list. (see also bulleted)
- A large scheduled repayment of the principal of a loan; a balloon payment.
- A rejection letter, as for employment, admission to a school or a competition.
- One year of prison time
- An ace (the playing card).
- Anything that is projected extremely fast.
- Very fast
- A small ball.
- A cannonball.
- The fetlock of a horse.
- The heavy projectice thrown in a game of road bowling
- To draw attention to (text) by, or as if by, placing a graphic bullet in front of it.
- To speed, like a bullet.
- To make a shot, especially with great speed.
- A trawl; a boulter.
- The mode of fishing with a boulter or spiller.
- A confusion, jumble.
- To act in an inept, clumsy or inexpert manner; to make mistakes.
- A bumble-bee.
- The bittern.
- To boom, as a bittern; to buzz, as a fly.
- A forager especially in Sherman's March to the Sea of November to December 1864.
- An idle, worthless fellow, without any visible means of support; a dissipated sponger.
- A lamb (typically the smallest of a multiple birth) which has been abandoned by its mother or orphaned, and as a consequence is raised in part or in whole by humans.
- A disappointment, a pity, a shame.
- homosexual male
- An airline passenger who is bumped to a later flight.
- A drinking vessel filled to the brim.
- Anything large or successful.
- Parts at the front and back of a vehicle which are meant to absorb the impact of a collision; fender
- Any mechanical device used to absorb an impact, soften a collision, or protect against impact
- Someone or something that bumps.
- A bouncer.
- A side wall of a pool table.
- A short ditty or jingle used to separate a show from the advertisements.
- A covered house at a theatre, etc., in honour of some favourite performer.
- A woman's posterior, particularly one that is considered full and desirable.
- An extra musician (not notated in the score) who assists the principal French horn by playing less-exposed passages, so that the principal can save their 'lip' for difficult solos. Also applied to other sections of the orchestra.
- Large; filled to the bumpers at the top of a silo.
- Having, or growing in bunches.
- a type of surfboat used in India
- a unit of measurement for land area used in the Low Countries
- A botched or incompetently handled situation.
- To botch up, bumble or incompetently perform a task; to make or mend clumsily; to manage awkwardly.
- A bump or bulge on the first joint of the big toe caused by the swelling of a sac of fluid under the skin.
- Hallux valgus, deviation of the big toe from its normal position towards the other toes, the prime cause for the swelling of its first joint.
- bunkmate, someone with which one shares a bunk bed.
- a hut holding a bunk or bunks, a free-standing bedroom separate from the main house, which may or may not have other facilities (a fully outfitted outer house would be a guest house and not a bunkie)
- Senseless talk; nonsense; a piece of nonsense (countable).
- Bombastic political posturing or oratorical display designed only for show or public applause.
- A merchant or trader.
- A fibre obtained from palms of the genus Corypha.
- One who bunts.
- A woman who picks up rags in the streets.
- A low, vulgar woman.
- An English surname; a nickname for someone with a hump or lump.
- John Bunyan, English preacher and writer.
- A mythical Australian monster, said to inhabit swamps and lagoons.
- An imposter or con-man.
- A former currency unit of Yemen.
- A bubbling, gurgling sound, as of a creek.
- A gush of rapid speech.
- The turbulent boundary layer about a moving streamlined body.
- To bubble; to gurgle.
- To babble; to speak in an excited rush.
- A freshwater fish, taxonomic name Lota lota, similar to the ling and the cusk, which spawns in the winter.Displaced native eelpout
- A city in eastern Bulgaria.
- A town in North Carolina, USA
- A flag, usually a broad tapering pennant, often with a swallowtail, flown by yachts to identify the owner's yacht club.
- to commit burglary.
- To take the ball legally from an opposing player.
- A dish which originated among seafarers during the days of sail: a sort of porridge seasoned with sugar, salt and butter.
- A spicy stew, typically made with a combination of meats and vegetables, and often served with cornbread or corn muffins.
- The wild Himalayan, or blue, sheep (
- The act of burying; interment
- From, of, or pertaining to, Buryatia
- Someone from Buryatia.
- A Mongolic language spoken around Buryatia
- Placed in a grave at a burial.
- Concealed, hidden.
- The of California ( formerly
- A very strong, coarse cloth, made from jute, flax or hemp, and used to make sacks etc.
- One who burls or dresses cloth.
- Of, pertaining to, or resembling, a bursa.
- The treasurer of a university, college or school.
- Occurring in abrupt bursts, especially of information
- From, of, or pertaining to, Buryatia
- Someone from Buryatia.
- A Mongolic language spoken around Buryatia.