Page 1 from 21
Total results: 21459
- One who uses an abacus in casting accounts; a calculator.
- ivory black or animal charcoal.
- Embarrassed, disconcerted, or ashamed.
- A member of the dynasty of caliphs that ruled from Baghdad, from about 750 to 1250, claiming ancestry of Abbas.
- Of or relating to the Abbasid caliphs.
- A thief who steels livestock in large quantities.
- The illegitimate child of an unmarried woman and a married man.
- To end a law, system, institution, custom or practice.
- To put an end to or destroy, as a physical object; to wipe out.
- One of the Archons who follows Sabaoth when he leaves the ranks of the Demiurge to become an aeon alongside Sophia.
- A gem engraved with the word Abrasax or Abraxas.
- A tool or machine for abrading; abrader.
- Side by side and facing forward.
- Alongside; parallel to.
- Informed, well-informed, familiar, acquainted.
- Followed by of or with: up to a certain level or line; equally advanced.
- Side by side; also, opposite; over against; on a line with the vessel's beam.
- At the same time; simultaneously.
- Side by side, facing forward.
- Alongside; parallel to.
- Informed, well-informed, familiar, acquainted.
- Up to a certain level or line; equally advanced
- Side by side; also, opposite; over against; on a line with the vessel's beam.
- Abreast of; alongside. 1976
- Abstinence from food.
- Wasting away as a result of abstinence from food.
- The third son of David, king of Israel.
- A cavity caused by tissue destruction, usually because of infection, filled with pus and surrounded by inflamed tissue.
- To form a pus filled cavity typically from an infection.
- To cut off.
- To separate by means of abscission; to shed or drop off.
- To cut off by abscission.
- To separate (as a leaf from a twig) by abscission.
- To hide, to be in hiding or concealment.
- To flee, often secretly; to steal away, particularly to avoid arrest or prosecution.
- To withdraw from.
- To conceal; to take away.
- To evade, to hide or flee from.
- Keep or withhold oneself.
- Refrain from (something); hold oneself aloof; to forbear or keep from doing, especially an indulgence of the passions or appetites.
- Deliberately refrain from casting one's vote at a meeting where one is present.
- Hinder; keep back; withhold.
- Improper or incorrect use of language.
- Misuse, abuse.
- Abuse of the truth; deceit, lying.
- Violation of law or propriety; outrage, improper behaviour.
- Physical, mental, verbal, or sexual abuse.
- Wrongly used; perverted; misapplied; unjust; illegal.
- Full of abuses; practicing abuse; containing abuse, or serving as the instrument of abuse.
- Prone to ill treat by coarse, insulting words or by other ill usage; vituperative; reproachful; scurrilous.
- Tending to deceive; fraudulent.
- Given to misusing; also, full of abuses.
- Given to misusing.
- Being physically injurious; characterized by repeated violence.
- Pertaining to, or resembling an abyss; unending; profound; fathomless; immeasurable.
- Bottomless; extremely bad.
- Belonging to, or resembling, an abyss; unfathomable.
- Of or belonging to the ocean depths, especially below 2000 metres (6500 ft): abyssal zone.
- Pertaining to or occurring at excessive depths in the earth's crust; plutonic.
- To lie or sail along the coast or side (of); to accost.
- To devote to destruction; to imprecate misery or evil upon; to curse; to execrate; to anathematize.
- The person charged with an offense; the defendant in a criminal case.
- Having been accused; being the target of accusations.
- One who accuses; one who brings a charge of crime or fault.
- Having the nature of chaff; chaffy.
- needle-shaped, having a sharp, rigid point, as the leaf of the pine.
- Destitute of tentacles, as certain mollusks
- Without antennae, as some insects
- Sour like vinegar; acetous.
- Having a sour taste; sour; acid.
- Causing, or connected with, acetification
- Consisting of acini, or minute granular concretions.
- The perception of ringing, buzzing or hissing sounds that are not really there
- Auditory hallucination
- Acquisition; the thing gained.
- property acquired by purchase, gift, or otherwise than by inheritance.
- Acquisition; gain.
- lack of self-control; excess; intemperance
- The absence of a crisis from a disease.
- An unfavorable crisis or turn in the course of an attack of disease.
- A condition in which diagnosis and especially prognosis are uncertain.
- active; full of activity; full of energy.
- Without action or spirit.
- A female who performs on the stage or in films.
- A female doer or "actor" (in a general sense).
- Documented historical results.
- Physical commodities or financial instruments which are traded in futures contracts.
- Things which have happened rather than things which are planned.
- A prickle growing on the bark, as in some brambles and roses.
- A sting.
- The inability to conceive; sterility.
- The state of not being pregnant.
- Any enzyme that catalyses the removal of acyl groups, especially from acylated amino acids
- name transferred from the surname.
- name popular in the 2000s, following Alison and Madison.
- A place name, including:
- a town in Vermont, USA, named after the poet Joseph Addison.
- Direction or superscription of a letter, or the name, title, and place of residence of the person addressed.
- Act of addressing oneself to a person or group; a discourse or speech.
- Manner of speaking to another; delivery.
- Attention in the way one addresses a lady.
- Skill; skillful management; dexterity; adroitness.
- Act of preparing oneself.
- A description of the location of a property.
- The property itself.
- A location in computer memory.
- An Internet address; URL.
- An email address
- To prepare oneself.
- To direct speech.
- To aim; to direct.
- To prepare or make ready.
- To prepare oneself; to apply one's skill or energies (to some object); to betake.
- To direct one’s remarks (to someone).
- To clothe or array; to dress.
- To direct, as words, to (anyone or anything); to make, as a speech, petition, etc. to (any audience).
- To direct speech to; to make a communication to, whether spoken or written; to apply to by words, as by a speech, petition, etc., to speak to; to accost.
- To direct in writing, as a letter; to superscribe, or to direct and transmit.
- To make suit to as a lover; to court; to woo.
- To consign or intrust to the care of another, as agent or factor.
- To address oneself to; to prepare oneself for; to apply oneself to; to direct one's speech or discourse to.
- To direct attention towards a problem or obstacle, in an attempt to resolve it.
- To refer a location in computer memory.
- To get ready to hit (the ball on the tee).
- An enzyme found especially in animal tissue (as liver) that hydrolyzes adenine to hypoxanthine and ammonia.
- Like a gland; full of glands; glandulous; adenous.
- Like a gland; full of glands; glandulous; adenose.
- The denial of the existence of gods, especially the legendary gods of Hinduism.
- Containing, composed of, or consisting of fat; fatty.
- Slightly overweight, somewhat fat and hence soft.
- Animal fat stored in the tissue of the body.
- Of or relating to adipose, the fatty tissue.
- One who maintains that the vowel points of the Tetragrammaton translated "Jehovah" are the vowel points that belong to the word Adonai.
- Considered or thought out; resulting from deliberation.
- Informed, appraised or made aware.
- someone who receives advice
- One who offers advice.
- To quench; extinguish (fire, pain, malice, enemies, etc.)
- Of or relating to Aesop; Aesopian.
- Of or relating to summer.
- A close but separated relationship.
- In a contrary direction to.
- Close to.
- In front of; before a background.
- In physical contact with.
- In physical opposition to, or in collision with.
- A contrasting or competitive relationship.
- In contrast and/or comparison with.
- In competition with, versus.
- In opposition to.
- In exchange for.
- As counterbalance to.
- As a charge on.
- As protection from.
- Exposed to.
- In anticipation of; in preparation for (a particular time, event etc.).
- By the time that (something happened); before.
- An unmarried person celibate by choice.
- Having no visible sex organs; asexual or cryptogamous.
- A polymeric cross-linked polysaccharide extracted from the seaweed agar; used to make gels that are used in electrophoresis.
- He is one of the Saptarishis (meaning "seven sages"), a revered Vedic sage and the author of Agastya Samhita.
- one who never laughs (especially at jokes); a mirthless person
- Having existed for so great a period of time that its longevity cannot be expressed.
- Continuing infinitely or indefinitely.
- Always appearing youthful; never seeming to age.
- Absence of the sense of taste.
- Partial or complete loss of the sense of taste.
- Lacking a sense of taste.
- To set upon; to attack.
- To commit the first act of hostility or offense against; to begin a quarrel or controversy with; to make an attack against.
- One who agists or takes in cattle to pasture at a certain rate; a pasturer.
- an officer of the king's forest, who had the care of cattle agisted, and collected the money for the same; hence called gisttaker, which in England is corrupted into guest-taker.
- The inability to recognize objects by use of the senses.
- Epistemologically necessary lack of, indifference to, denial or shunning of, or defective knowledge.
- Someone involved in a contest or battle (as in an agon), protagonist.
- The muscle that contracts while the other relaxes.
- A molecule that can combine with a receptor on a cell to produce a physiological reaction.
- Without female organs; male.
- Without aid.
- Without mechanical assistance.
- Without aim, purpose, or direction.
- Lacking or being without air.
- Lacking air circulation.
- With air that is stale.
- Suffering from asphyxia.
- Stifling; dead; lacking vitality or excitement.
- Nauseous due to the effects of motion of an airplane; suffering from motion sickness caused by air travel.
- Characterised or marked by air, especially bracingly cold air; windy; stormy
- Competent and familiar with aircraft or air travel.
- a city (home rule municipality) in Colorado, USA
- An Ancient Greek name, particularly borne by an Ancient Greek lyric poet of Mytilene (c. 620–6th century
- The plant costmary, which was formerly much used for flavouring ale.
- An ensign; a standard-bearer.
- Pain-causing; painful in nature.
- Relating to the level of hypersensitivity to pain.
- The capital of Algeria.
- Using more than one name, or being referred to in more than one way.
- name transferred from the surname; mostly of persons born before 1950.
- name taken into general use in the 1940s; usually interpreted as a spelling variant of Alison.
- a small city in Iowa, USA
- totality; completeness
- Any of several unrelated plants that produce many seeds.
- One who depends on the receipt of alms, a beggar.
- An early 20th century movement in painting and writing, emerging from the Russian avant-garde, which made use of antirational or nonsensical elements.
- An absurd or nonsensical element deliberately added to a work that belongs to the alogism movement.
- Irrationality; the rejection of logical thinking as a means of approaching truth.
- An irrational statement or line of argument; a logical error.
- An inconsistency or arbitrary situation that follows no logical pattern.
- A river in Hades.
- The god/personification of the river Alpheus.
- name, of mostly historical usage.
- Beta Aquilae, a star in the constellation Aquila
- A person playing alto saxophone or some other alto instrument.
- An aldohexose epimeric with mannose
- Somewhat like alum.
- A male pupil or student.
- A male graduate.
- A student of either gender.
- A graduate of either gender.
- Lacking hands or manus.
- Having been gathered or assembled in a large group.
- The absence of breast tissue, nipple, and areola.
- Indirect or roundabout ways of talking; circumlocution.
- Indirect or roundabout routes or directions.
- the range of a melody, especially those of ecclesiastical chants
- The exterior edge or border of a thing, such as a leaf or shell.
- A canvassing for votes.
- Two ones; the lowest throw at dice; a pair of aces.
- Bad luck, worthlessness.
- A triclinic-pedial mineral containing aluminum, hydrogen, magnesium, oxygen, and silicon.
- A in Colorado
- A town in Maine
- A town in Massachusetts.
- A village in Nebraska
- A town in New Hampshire
- A town and suburb in New York
- A town in Nova Scotia
- A city in Ohio
- A township municipality in Quebec
- A city in Texas
- A town in Victoria, Australia
- A town in Virginia
- A village in Wisconsin
- An enzyme involved in amination.
- Of, pertaining to, or suffering from amnesia
- A person suffering from amnesia
- A Greek island in the east of the Cyclades
- A town, the capital of the island of that name.
- Someone who is in love.
- Someone who writes about love.
- A wanton woman; a courtesan.
- Inclined or having a propensity to love, or to sexual enjoyment.
- Indicating love or sexual desire.
- Of or relating to, or produced by, love.
- Affected with love; in love; enamored.
- A variety of grunerite asbestos, once used in insulation.
- Funny, hilarious.
- Giving entertainment or amusement; recreative
- illusive, deceitful
- The soluble form of starch (the insoluble form being amylopectin) that is a linear polymer of glucose.
- a city in Iowa, USA
- In qualitative metre, a metrical foot consisting of three syllables, two unstressed and one stressed (e.g., the word "interrupt").
- In quantitative metre, a metrical foot consisting of three syllables, two short and one long (e.g., the word "velveteen").
- A fragment, phrase or line of poetry or verse using this meter, e.g.
- Any amniote whose skull does not have openings near the temples.
- name from the Latin form of Andrew.
- A register or form of English that gives preference to words of Germanic origin over words of other (especially Latin, French, or Greek) origin.
- Of, in, or pertaining to this form of English.
- Extreme pain, either of body or mind; excruciating distress.
- To suffer pain.
- To cause to suffer pain.
- In the night time; at night.
- A belief that spirits inhabit some or all classes of natural objects or phenomena.
- A belief that an immaterial force animates the universe.
- A doctrine that animal life is produced by an immaterial spirit.
- A believer in animism.
- Resolute and full of vigor; vehement.
- A salt or ester of anisic acid.
- The seed-like fruit of the anise, used in baking and in the flavouring of liqueurs such as ouzo.
- The aromatic ether methoxybenzene; it is used in perfumery and in organic synthesis; and derivative of this compound
- Any of three isomeric univalent radicals derived from anisic acid
- A ring- or donut-shaped area or structure.
- The region in a plane between two concentric circles of different radius.
- Any topological space homeomorphic to the region in a plane between two concentric circles of different radius.
- The ring of the sun not covered by the moon in an annular solar eclipse.
- Structure in a fern that consists of differentially thick-walled cells on a sporangium that bend and distort as a result of drying.
- The membranous remnants of a partial veil which leaves a ring on the stem of a mushroom.
- The space contained between the centre well bore and any external tubing. Sometimes used for separated gas flow.
- Inability to smell; the inability to perceive odors.
- Having anosmia; lacking a sense of smell.
- Lacking olfactory organs; anosmatic.
- A person with anosmia; a person lacking a sense of smell.
- Having a handle.
- Alpha Scorpii (α Sco), the brightest star in the constellation Scorpius. It is a M type red giant, and is a binary with a B type companion visible in greenish.
- A resort town on the Côte d'Azur in the Alpes-Maritimes department of southeastern France.
- Preventing sagging.
- Opposed to sexual activity
- A hypothetical sun composed of antimatter.
- sunblock, sunscreen
- Nervous and worried.
- Full of anxiety or disquietude; greatly concerned or solicitous, especially respecting something future or unknown;
- Accompanied with, or causing, anxiety; worrying
- Earnestly desirous
- In any way.
- Anyway, anyhow, in any case.
- A partial or total loss of language skills due to brain damage. Usually, damage to the left perisylvian region, including Broca's area and Wernicke's area, causes aphasia.
- Affected by, or pertaining to, aphasia.
- One who is afflicted by symptoms of aphasia.
- The loss of the initial unstressed vowel of a word.
- In an apish manner; in the manner of an ape.
- A condition marked by the incomplete development, or absence, of an organ or tissue.
- An evil snake-god who tries to devour the sun every night.
- An asteroid formerly thought to be on a collision course with Earth.
- imperforate; not porous.
- A marginal note; a gloss.
- A method of verification for international documents.
- To make quiet; to calm; to reduce to a state of peace; to dispel (anger or hatred).
- To come to terms with; to adapt to the demands of.
- An examiner; one whose business is to put questions.
- In the English Court of Exchequer, an officer who audited the sheriffs' accounts.
- To press close to something else
- To notify, or to make aware; to inform.
- An energetic movement towards or against something
- conjunction or occultation
- a close approach of two heavenly bodies
- Of, pertaining to, or in the form of an apse
- Of or pertaining to the apsides
- suitability; the quality of being apt or suitable
- disposition of the mind; propensity
- quickness of apprehension; readiness in learning; docility
- proneness; tendency
- Any of a family of enzymes that catalyze the hydrolysis of ATP, releasing phosphate and available energy
- Not combustible; capable of tolerating great heat without alteration of form or properties.
- Consisting mostly of water.
- An idiom characteristic of the Arabic language.
- A scholar who studies Arab or Arabic culture, politics, or language.
- One who followed the Arabic system of medicine or (more broadly) scholarship.
- One that wants to spread Arabic culture; an Arab nationalist.
- Pertaining to Arabism; medieval Arabic scholarship.
- Pertaining to the study of Arabic language or culture.
- Pertaining to Arab nationalism; promoting Arab interests.
- A wooden crossbow with a special drawing mechanism, used to fire bolts, stones etc.
- The vital principle or force believed by the Paracelsians to be responsible for alchemical reactions within living bodies, and hence for the growth and continuation of life.
- of Chief magistrates of ancient Athens.
- Any of several single-valued or multivalued functions that are inverses of the sine function. Symbol: arcsin, sin-1
- Needing or using up much energy; testing powers of endurance.
- burning; ardent
- Difficult or exhausting to traverse.
- sandy, gritty, full of sand.
- Any of various ticks of the family Argasidae.
- A periphery in eastern Peloponnese which has its modern capital at Nafplion. Its original capital was at Argos.
- Of or pertaining to arkose.
- Part of the seat of a chair that is designed to support the arm.
- an opening in a garment for the attachment of a sleeve; an armhole
- The act of arousing or the state of being aroused.
- Sexual arousal.
- A physiological and psychological state of being awake or reactive to stimuli, including elevated heart rate and blood pressure and a condition of sensory alertness, mobility and readiness to respond.
- Arousal from sleep or hibernation.
- Someone or something that arouses.
- Of or pertaining to arsonic acids or their derivatives
- A city in California.
- A town in Mississippi.
- A city in New Mexico.
- A skilled manual worker who uses tools and machinery in a particular craft.
- A person who displays great dexterity.
- A public performer, especially of song or dance.
- Having or displaying no guile, cunning, or deceit.
- Free of artificiality; natural.
- Lacking art, knowledge, or skill; uncultured and ignorant.
- Poorly made or done; crude.
- A man skilled in an art or in arts.
- Any member of the Asaphidae.
- An aromatic ether, 2,4,5-trimethoxyphenyl-2-propene, found in the essential oils of plants of the genus Asarum
- An acrid oil obtained from wood soot.
- Any phasmid nematode of the family Ascarididae (Ascaridae)
- Of or relating to ascetics; characterized by rigorous self-denial or self-discipline; austere; abstinent; involving a withholding of physical pleasure.
- One who is devoted to the practice of self-denial, either through seclusion or stringent abstinence.
- An accumulation of fluid in the peritoneal cavity, frequently symptomatic of liver disease.
- Of, pertaining to, or suffering from ascites
- To attribute a cause or characteristic to someone or something.
- To attribute a book, painting or any work of art or literature to a writer or creator.
- The state of being free from sepsis.
- The process of removing pathogenic organisms or protecting against such organisms.
- Free of disease-causing microbes.
- Used to protect against infection by disease-causing microbes.
- Not sexual in nature, not marked by sexual activity. (Compare Platonic.)
- Not experiencing sexual attraction; lacking interest in or desire for sex.
- Having no distinct sex, having no sexual organs.
- Without sexual action; reproducing by some other method than sex.
- A species which reproduces by asexual rather than sexual reproduction, or a member of such a species.
- A person who does not experience sexual attraction; a person who lacks interest in or desire for sex.
- Feeling shame or guilt.
- a city in Georgia, USA
- A city in and the county seat of in Arkansas, USA.
- The precipitation of ash from a volcanic eruption
- A town in Kent.
- A town in borough, Surrey (previously in Middlesex).
- A village in district, Devon, England
- A village in district, Devon
- A village in Derbyshire, Ashford-in-the-Water.
- a community in New Brunswick, Canada.
- a town in Alabama, USA
- a census-designated place in California, USA.
- a village in Illinois, USA.
- an unincorporated community in Indiana, USA.
- a small city in Kansas, USA
- a home rule-class city in Kentucky, USA.
- an unincorporated community in Louisiana, USA.
- a village in Louisiana.
- a town and CDP in Maine, USA.
- a town in Massachusetts, USA.
- a town in Mississippi, USA
- a city in Missouri, USA.
- a census-designated place in Montana, USA.
- a city in Nebraska, USA.
- a town in New Hampshire, USA.
- an unincorporated community and CDP in New Jersey, USA.
- towns in and New York, USA.
- a city in Ohio, USA
- a small town in Oklahoma, USA.
- a city in Oregon, USA.
- a borough in Pennsylvania, USA.
- an unincorporated community in Tennessee, USA.
- a town in Virginia, USA.
- an unincorporated community in West Virginia, USA.
- a city and port in and Wisconsin, USA
- a town in Wisconsin, 15 miles south-east of the city.
- Without ash.
- That leaves no ash upon combustion.
- Any of the four stages of Hindu spiritual life
- Describing any of several unrelated languages spoken in Asia Minor and surrounding areas.
- Failing to exercise intelligence or judgment; ridiculously below average rationality.
- Of, pertaining to, or characteristic of donkeys.
- Capable of being stated as a question.
- Capable of being consulted for an answer.
- With disapproval, skepticism, or suspicion.
- Sideways; obliquely.
- Turned to the side, especially of the eyes.
- A mixture of polychlorinated biphenyls, formerly used in electrical apparatus.
- the practice of severe self-discipline, asceticism
- not social
- not sociable
- Not sounding or sounded.