Page 1 from 3
Total results: 2675
- Braced aback
- Braced aback
- To hail with a cry of "ahoy".
- An utterance of this interjection.
- Whilst jogging; with a jogging motion; with agitation.
- agitated; jogging; moving about
- Low down.
- Towards the lower part of a vessel; towards the lower rigging or the decks.
- A raised platform in an early Christian church, as well as in the Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, and Eastern Catholic churches.
- A stationary podium used for readings and homilies.
- An ambulance driver.
- An ambulance.
- Out of control, especially when armed and dangerous
- In a frenzy of violence, or on a killing spree; berserk
- One who runs amok; in Malay and Moro/Philippine culture, one who attempts to kill many others, especially expecting that they will be killed themselves.
- Either of or being a small Indonesian water buffalo similar in appearance to a deer.
- In a row, line, or rank; successively.
- In two; in twain; asunder.
- To declare openly and boldly, as something believed to be right; to own, acknowledge or confess frankly.
- To bind or devote by a vow.
- To acknowledge and justify, as an act done. See
- A town in Rostov Oblast, Russia, situated on the Don River
- A tough, a thug.
- Half a coconut shell, used in Fiji as a cup for drinking alcohol.
- Big Man On Campus; a popular or high-profile high school or college student.
- A craft used for transportation of goods, fishing, racing, recreational cruising, or military use on or in the water, propelled by oars or outboard motor or inboard motor or by wind.
- A full house.
- A vehicle, utensil, or dish somewhat resembling a boat in shape.
- One of two possible conformations of cyclohexane rings (the other being chair), shaped roughly like a boat.
- The refugee boats arriving in Australian waters, and by extension, refugees generally.
- To travel by boat.
- To transport in a boat.
- To place in a boat.
- The second husband of Ruth.
- name of biblical origin, in occasional use.
- to have sexual intercourse (with someone)
- a big laugh
- a line in a film etc that elicits such a laugh
- A pupil who works hard; a swot.
- To hit; to strike.
- A localized accumulation of pus in the skin, resulting from infection.
- The point at which fluid begins to change to a vapour.
- A dish of boiled food, especially based on seafood.
- The collective noun for a group of hawks.
- To heat (a liquid) to the point where it begins to turn into a gas.
- To cook in boiling water.
- Of a liquid, to begin to turn into a gas, seethe.
- Said of weather being uncomfortably hot.
- To feel uncomfortably hot. See also seethe.
- To form, or separate, by boiling or evaporation.
- To steep or soak in warm water.
- To be agitated like boiling water; to bubble; to effervesce.
- To be moved or excited with passion; to be hot or fervid.
- Idiot, fool.
- A breast, especially that of a human adult or adolescent female.
- Idiotic, foolish.
- To behave stupidly; to act like a boob.
- To make a mistake
- A “jump” over hydraulic backwash in a high-gradient mountain river, an action analogous to a skier jumping a cliff.
- To conceal (a prohibited item) in one's rectum.
- A thicket; a small wood.
- Each of the two; one and the other; definition
- Each of the two kinds; one and the other kind; definition
- including both of (used with and)
- including all of (used with and).
- A weevil; a worm that breeds in malt, biscuit, etc.
- To belch, to burp.
- To vomit.
- A roughly hemispherical container used to hold, mix or present food, such as salad, fruit or soup, or other items.
- As much as is held by a bowl.
- A haircut in which straight hair is cut at an even height around the edges, forming a bowl shape.
- A round crater (or similar) in the ground.
- The part of a spoon that holds content, as opposed to the handle.
- A part of a pipe or bong packed with marijuana for smoking
- An elliptical-shaped stadium or amphitheater resembling a bowl.
- A postseason football competition, a bowl game (i.e. Super Bowl)
- A rounded portion of a glyph that encloses empty space, as in the letters d and o.
- The ball rolled by players in the game of lawn bowls.
- The action of bowling a ball.
- The game of bowls.
- To roll or throw (a ball) in the correct manner in cricket and similar games and sports.
- To throw the ball (in cricket and similar games and sports).
- To roll or carry smoothly on, or as on, wheels.
- To pelt or strike with anything rolled.
- Box-like or box-shaped.
- name transferred from the surname.
- Formless hindrances personified as an enemy
- a city in the south of the Czech Republic
- A wedge-shaped spike used to secure the end of a timber where it abuts another. Much used in earlier times in the construction of tunnelled box-timber headings.
- To poke or prick
- A float moored in water to mark a location, warn of danger, or indicate a navigational channel.
- A life-buoy.
- To keep afloat or aloft; used with up.
- To support or maintain at a high level.
- To mark with a buoy.
- To maintain or enhance enthusiasm or confidence
- a chemotherapy regimen used in the treatment of non-Hodgkin lymphoma, consisting of Cyclophosphamide, Hydroxydaunorubicin (also called doxorubicin or adriamycin), Oncovin (vincristine) and Prednisone or Prednisolone
- A greeting or farewell using the word "ciao".
- A lump of something, especially of earth or clay.
- The ground; the earth; a spot of earth or turf.
- A stupid person; a dolt.
- Part of a shoulder of beef, or of the neck piece near the shoulder.
- To pelt with clods.
- To throw violently; to hurl.
- To collect into clods, or into a thick mass; to coagulate; to clot.
- name, an spelling of
- A type of shoe with an inflexible, often wooden sole sometimes with an open heel.
- A blockage.
- A shoe of any type.
- A weight, such as a log or block of wood, attached to a person or animal to hinder motion.
- That which hinders or impedes motion; an encumbrance, restraint, or impediment of any kind.
- To block or slow passage through (often with 'up').
- To encumber or load, especially with something that impedes motion; to hamper.
- To burden; to trammel; to embarrass; to perplex.
- (law) To enforce a mortgage lender right that prevents a borrower from exercising a right to redeem.
- The sound of a horse's shod hoof striking the ground.
- To make this sound.
- To fill up or choke up; to stop up.
- To clog, to glut, or satisfy, as the appetite; to satiate.
- To fill to loathing; to surfeit.
- a wooden dowel
- the brass bearing in the sheave of a block
- To unite (timbers etc.) by means of tenons or dowels in the edges or face.
- An outer garment covering the upper torso and arms.
- A covering of material, such as paint.
- The fur or feathers covering an animal's skin.
- Canvas painted with thick tar and secured round a mast or bowsprit to prevent water running down the sides into the hold (now made of rubber or leather).
- A petticoat.
- The habit or vesture of an order of men, indicating the order or office; cloth.
- A coat of arms.
- A coat card.
- To cover with a coat of some material
- To cover as a coat.
- To fondle, kid, pet, tease.
- To wheedle, persuade (a person, organisation, animal etc.) gradually or by use of flattery to do something.
- To carefully manipulate into a particular desired state, situation or position.
- A simpleton; a dupe.
- A male bird, especially:
- A rooster: a male gallinaceous bird, especially a male domestic chicken (
- A single word (in context) for a cock pigeon (male pigeon).
- A valve or tap for controlling flow in plumbing.
- The hammer of a firearm trigger mechanism.
- The notch of an arrow or crossbow.
- The penis.
- The circle at the end of the rink.
- The state of being cocked; an upward turn, tilt or angle.
- A stupid person.
- A boastful tilt of one's head or hat.
- A vane in the shape of a cock; a weathercock.
- A chief man; a leader or master.
- The crow of a cock, especially the first crow in the morning; cockcrow.
- The style or gnomon of a sundial.
- The indicator of a balance.
- The bridge piece that affords a bearing for the pivot of a balance in a clock or watch.
- To lift the cock of a firearm or crossbow; to prepare (a gun or crossbow) to be fired.
- To be prepared to be triggered by having the cock lifted.
- To erect; to turn up.
- To copulate with.
- To turn or twist something upwards or to one side; to lift or tilt (e.g. headwear) boastfully.
- To turn (the eye) obliquely and partially close its lid, as an expression of derision or insinuation.
- To strut; to swagger; to look big, pert, or menacing.
- To make a nestle-cock of, to pamper or spoil
- Vulva, vagina.
- A small conical pile of hay.
- To form into piles.
- Short for cock-boat, a type of small boat.
- name transferred from the surname.
- A ghost town in British Columbia
- An unincorporated community in Florida
- A village in Nebraska
- A city in Wyoming
- An anadromus and semelparous salmon, Oncorhynchus kisutch, found in the coastal regions of the northern Pacific Ocean, used as a symbol by several Native American tribes.
- A hairdo
- A hood; a close-fitting cap covering much of the head, widespread until XVIII century; after that worn only by small children and countrywomen
- An item of chain mail headgear
- An official headdress, such as that worn by certain judges in England.
- To style or arrange hair.
- Resembling or containing coke.
- Having a low temperature.
- Causing the air to be cold.
- Feeling the sensation of coldness, especially to the point of discomfort.
- Unfriendly, emotionally distant or unfeeling.
- Dispassionate, not prejudiced or partisan, impartial.
- Completely unprepared; without introduction.
- Unconscious or deeply asleep; deprived of the metaphorical heat associated with life or consciousness.
- Perfectly, exactly, completely; by heart.
- Cornered, done for.
- Not pungent or acrid.
- Unexciting; dull; uninteresting.
- Affecting the sense of smell (as of hunting dogs) only feebly; having lost its odour.
- Not sensitive; not acute.
- Distant; said, in the game of hunting for some object, of a seeker remote from the thing concealed. Compare warm and hot.
- Having a bluish effect; not warm in colour.
- A condition of low temperature.
- A common, usually harmless, viral illness, usually with congestion of the nasal passages and sometimes fever.
- While at low temperature.
- Without preparation.
- With finality.
- In a cold, frank, or realistically honest manner.
- Any bird of either of the genera Colius or Urocolius, endemic to sub-Saharan Africa.
- The shelf- or bracket-shaped fruiting body of a bracket fungus (also called a shelf fungus), i.e. a mushroom growing off a tree trunk.
- A nose, especially a large one.
- To hit, especially on the head.
- A hairstyle involving the chemical straightening and styling of kinky hair.
- To chemically straighten tightly curled hair.
- A data structure in LISP that is a pair of pointers, car and cdr, used mainly for lists.
- To obtain a list from a cons or a nesting of conses; to prepend an element to a list by forming a cons of that element and the list; to obtain a list from a smaller one by repeated application of such kind of prepending.
- A rabbit, especially the European rabbit, Oryctolagus cuniculus (formerly known as
- Rabbit fur.
- Locally for other rabbit-like or hyrax-like animals, such as the ( dassie) or the pika ( formerly
- Used in the Old Testament as a translation of Hebrew šāpān (shaapaan, shaphan), thought to be the rock hyrax ( syn.
- A simpleton; one who may be taken in by a cony-catcher.
- An edible West Indian fish, a grouper given in different sources as: the hind of Bermuda;
- Several species of tropical west Atlantic groupers of family , such as the and
- The burbot.
- Any of various aquatic birds of the genus Fulica that are mainly black with a prominent frontal shield on the forehead.
- A foolish or eccentric fellow
- A success; something excellent.
- Body louse.
- A large basket, especially as used for coal.
- A basket used to contain live fish underwater.
- A wooden frame, sled, or low-wheeled wagon, to convey coal or ore in the mines.
- A short, vertical, swollen underground stem of a plant (usually one of the monocots) that serves as a storage organ to enable the plant to survive winter or other adverse conditions such as drought.
- A measure of distance in India, varying from one and a quarter to two and a half English miles.
- Affording comfort and warmth; snug; social
- A padded or knit covering put on an item to keep it warm, especially a teapot or egg.
- form (mystery story)
- To become snug and comfortable.
- To become friendly with.
- A monk's hood or hooded robe
- A mask that covers the majority of the head.
- A thin protective covering over all or part of an engine; also cowling
- A usually hood-shaped covering used to increase the draft of a chimney and prevent backflow.
- A ship's ventilator with a bell-shaped top which can be swivelled to catch the wind and force it below
- A vertical projection of a ship's funnel that directs the smoke away from the bridge
- A vessel carried on a pole, a soe
- Resembling a cow, cowlike
- The basal segment of a limb of various arthropods (insects and spiders, for example).
- A cosy, friendly talk
- Affording comfort and warmth; snug; social
- A padded or knit covering to keep an item warm, especially a teapot or egg.
- A padded or knit covering for any item (often an electronic device such as a laptop computer).
- A work of crime fiction in which sex and violence are downplayed or treated humorously, and the crime and detection take place in a small, socially intimate community.
- To become snug and comfortable.
- To become friendly with.
- A person of Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, or other Mediterranean descent.
- A person of Italian descent.
- A coasting sailing vessel of Arabia, East Africa, and the Indian Ocean. It has generally but one mast and a lateen sail.
- A tongue or tract of land included between two rivers, especially that between the Ganga and the Yamuna
- To remove or take off, especially of clothing.
- To remove or tip a hat, as in greeting, salutation or as a mark of respect.
- To get rid of, to throw off.
- To strip; to divest; to undress.
- Shaped like a dome.
- A sub-genre of scouse house music containing distinctive percussion sounds.
- To hit.
- A car's engine.
- A fool.
- A poor player who makes mistakes.
- To provide a second person with a lift on a bicycle (formerly, on a horse), seating the passenger either in front (on the handlebar) or behind (sharing the seat); to travel as a passenger in such manner.
- A marijuana cigarette.
- To avoid work, shirk, etc.
- To sleep in the open or in a derelict building because one is homeless
- The avoidance of work.
- An easy piece of work.
- A place to sleep in; a bed.
- Useless or lazy. Generally combined with expletive noun, especially cunt.
- Good, desirable.
- A punctuation mark consisting of three dots, indicating an omission of some text or a sentence which wasn't fully finished, an ellipsis.
- Suffering from rot, or waterlogged
- Senile; in one's dotage
- A species of colobine Old World monkey, making up the genus Pygathrix
- To put out; quench; extinguish; douse.
- A dowdy person, especially a woman; a frump.
- Dull; flat; denoting a defect of spirit, animation, or courage; melancholy; gloomy; inactive; listless; lethargic; pithless; vapid; lacking force; frivolous.
- Dull; hollow.
- popular opinion or belief
- A sweetheart; a prostitute or a mistress.
- A defined opinion.
- To sleep lightly or briefly; to nap.
- To make dull; to stupefy.
- To bulldoze.
- a light, short sleep or nap
- Quite sleepy or tired.
- Intellectually slow.
- Decaying, rotten, spongy.
- A member of a fictional race of dark elves in various fantasy settings, such as Dungeons & Dragons.
- A fictional constructed language spoken by the Drow.
- A trow; a member of a race of folkloric beings from Orkney and Shetland; cognate to the Scandinavian trollDictionary of the Scots Language.
- (now poetic) Ebony; an ebony tree.
- Made of ebony.
- Black in colour.
- a river in Spain that flows into the Mediterranean
- A plant, often identified as which is closely related to taro and has edible starchy tubers.
- The tubers of this plant.
- A region whose inhabitants traditionally traced their ancestry to Esau.
- An ethnic group of southeastern Nigeria.
- A city in Nevada, USA
- A city in Arizona
- A grandson of Adam.
- name of biblical origin.
- of uncertain origin.
- A little island, especially in a river or lake.
- A Portuguese folk song, usually featuring a single vocalist, Portuguese guitar and sometimes classical guitar. Lyrical themes are often melancholic in nature; the structure of the song is of greater importance.
- form of (estate granted to a vassal by a feudal lord in exchange for service)
- Spittle or phlegm, especially a piece of spittle or phlegm that has been spat out.
- To spit or to gob.
- To flop; to move or behave in a loose or uncoordinated way.
- A floccule; a soft or fluffy particle suspended in a liquid, or the fluffy mass of suspended particles so formed.
- A low, flat mass of floating ice.
- A movement in people or things with a particular way in large numbers or amounts
- The movement of a real or figurative fluid.
- A formalization of the idea of the motion of particles in a fluid, as a group action of the real numbers on a set.
- The rising movement of the tide.
- Smoothness or continuity.
- The amount of a fluid that moves or the rate of fluid movement.
- A mental state characterized by concentration, focus and enjoyment of a given task.
- The emission of blood during menstruation.
- The ability to skilfully along to a
- To move as a fluid from one position to another.
- To proceed; to issue forth.
- To move or match smoothly, gracefully, or continuously.
- To have or be in abundance; to abound, so as to run or flow over.
- To hang loosely and wave.
- To rise, as the tide; opposed to ebb.
- To arrange (text in a wordprocessor, etc.) so that it wraps neatly into a designated space; to reflow.
- To cover with water or other liquid; to overflow; to inundate; to flood.
- To cover with varnish.
- To discharge excessive blood from the uterus.
- A young horse or related animal, especially just after birth or less than a year old.
- A young boy who assisted the headsman by pushing or pulling the tub.
- To give birth; to bear offspring.
- A substance composed of a large collection of bubbles or their solidified remains.
- a manufactured substance, e.g. polystyrene foam. See also derived terms.
- Sea foam; the sea.
- To form or emit foam.
- To spew saliva as foam, to foam at the mouth.
- A forge used for smelting tin.
- Extra pay granted to officers for length of service.
- The town of Fontainebleau
- Any substance that can be consumed by living organisms, especially by eating, in order to sustain life.
- A foodstuff.
- Anything that nourishes or sustains.
- A person with poor judgment or little intelligence.
- A jester; a person whose role was to entertain a sovereign and the court (or lower personages).
- Someone who derives pleasure from something specified.
- Buddy, dude, person.
- A type of dessert made of puréed fruit and custard or cream.
- A particular card in a tarot deck.
- To trick; to make a fool of someone.
- To play the fool; to trifle; to toy; to spend time in idle sport or mirth.
- Any non-woody flowering plant that is not a graminoid (a grass, sedge, or rush).
- A bailiff or magistrate.
- The digit or figure 4; an occurrence thereof.
- Anything measuring four units, as length.
- A person who is four years old.
- An event whereby a batsman hits a ball which bounces on the ground before passing over a boundary in the air, resulting in an award of 4 runs for the batting team. If the ball does not bounce before passing over the boundary, a six is awarded instead.
- A power forward.
- Quadruple sculls.
- A four-pennyworth of spirits.
- A bird.
- A bird of the order Galliformes, including chickens, turkeys, pheasant, partridges and quail.
- Birds which are hunted or kept for food, including Galliformes and also waterfowl of the order Anseriformes such as ducks, geese and swans.
- To hunt fowl.
- (obsolete) foul
- having the qualities of a fox
- attractive, sexy (of a woman)
- (of a person) red-haired.
- (of wine) Having an animal-like odour
- spongy; soft; fat and puffy
- To rub one's genitals – usually the penis – against another person for sexual gratification.
- To rub, chafe.
- To work leather by rubbing.
- A sexual act in which two males rub each other's penises.
- A woman; a wife, especially a Dutch or German one.
- A slovenly woman; a wench; a lusty woman.
- A big, fat woman; a slovenly, coarse, or untidy woman; a woman of low character.
- Brittle; tender; crisp
- A cleaving tool with handle at right angles to the blade, for splitting cask staves and shingles from the block; a frower.
- geography, mainly as a school subject
- A hypothetical electromagnetic or gravitational wave held together in a confined region by the gravitational attraction of its own field energy.
- Any of a group of geometric forms capable of being recognised as a component of a real object
- The capital of the Western Province, Solomon Islands
- A round, shapeless or amorphous lump, as of a semisolid substance.
- A limited pattern matching technique using wildcards, less powerful than a regular expression.
- A millimeter-sized colour module found beyond the visual area V2 in the brain's parvocellular pathway.
- To stick in globs or lumps.
- To carry out pattern matching using a glob.
- To stare in amazement.
- Any gooey substance.
- To apply (a liquid) thickly and messily.
- To swallow greedily.
- A long, pointed stick used to prod animals.
- To prod with a goad.
- To encourage or stimulate.
- To incite or provoke.
- That part of a mine from which the mineral has been partially or wholly removed.
- The waste left in old workings.
- A disc placed between a light and the illuminated object or actor in order to diffuse the glare.
- A template inserted over a light source in order to control the shape of the thrown light.
- A device used to shield a microphone from extraneous sounds.
- The taproot of young burdock plants, eaten as a root vegetable.
- A small furry toy like an ersatz teddy bear, popularized in wartime when production of real teddies stops.
- A stupid, ignorant, and/or boorish person.
- A sleep; a nap.
- A prostitute's client.
- To sleep.
- To lie; to tell an untruth
- A thick, slimy substance; goo.
- A silly, stupid, or boorish person.
- A loose mixture of dried fruit, nuts, frequently salt, and sometimes other ingredients; designed as an energy supplement for use while hiking, climbing, canoeing, etc.
- A cuckoo.
- A fool.
- To make foolish; to stupefy.
- To weep angrily; to howl.
- A loose, flowing upper garment.
- A woman's ordinary outer dress, such as a calico or silk gown.
- The official robe of certain professional men and scholars, such as university students and officers, barristers, judges, etc.
- The dress of civil officers, as opposed to military officers.
- The university community.
- A loose wrapper worn by gentlemen within doors; a dressing gown.
- Any sort of dress or garb.
- The robe worn by a surgeon.
- To dress in a gown, to don or garb with a gown.
- An alcoholic beverage made with rum and water, especially that once issued to sailors of the Royal Navy.
- Any alcoholic beverage.
- An alcoholic beverage made with hot water or tea, sugar and rum, sometimes also with lemon or lime juice and spices, particularly cinnamon.
- A type of pre-fired clay that has been ground and screened to a specific particle size.
- Pawnee Indian ceremony celebrating the union of Earth and Heaven and the genesis of life
- To deceive (someone) by making them believe something which has been maliciously or mischievously fabricated. (scam)
- Anything deliberately intended to deceive or trick.
- To play the fool; to behave thoughtlessly and frivolously.
- To leap; to caper; to romp noisily.
- A hollow cavity.
- To dig out; make hollow; hollow out.
- To dig; dig into; pierce; penetrate; investigate; poke.
- To dig up; excavate.
- Holidays (time off work or time spent travelling).
- a city in Syria
- The tip of a toe of an ungulate such as a horse, ox or deer, strengthened by a thick keratin covering.
- The human foot.
- An ungula.
- To trample with hooves.
- To walk.
- To dance, especially as a professional.
- To kick, especially to kick a football a long way downfield with little accuracy.
- A condition of physical attraction toward (for) someone.
- A time period of sixty minutes; one twenty-fourth of a day.
- A season, moment, time or stound.
- The time.
- Used after a two-digit hour and a two-digit minute to indicate time.
- A distance that can be traveled in one hour.
- The protracted, mournful cry of a dog or a wolf, or other like sound.
- A prolonged cry of distress or anguish; a wail.
- To utter a loud, protracted, mournful sound or cry, as dogs and wolves often do.
- To utter a sound expressive of pain or distress; to cry aloud and mournfully; to lament; to wail.
- To make a noise resembling the cry of a wild beast.
- To utter with outcry.
- for someone who lived high, or on a hill.
- A city in Kansas.
- A community in New Brunswick, Canada.
- The goddess/personification of recuperation. She is a daughter of Asclepius and Epione.
- A Capital: Des Moines.
- One of the Native Americans formerly occupying the region now included in the state of Iowa.
- The International Telecommunications Satellite Organization
- The Integrated Transport Smartcard Organisation
- A species of grassy tamarisk shrub, common in river-marshes.
- The nephew of King David, and son of Zeruiah
- to harangue, to rebuke in a long-winded or drawn-out way