Page 1 from 10
Total results: 10045
- Anything forfeited or confiscated.
- The third son of David, king of Israel.
- Pertaining to, or resembling an abyss; unending; profound; fathomless; immeasurable.
- Bottomless; extremely bad.
- To shout; to call out.
- To shout approval; to express great approval.
- To salute or praise with great approval; to compliment; to applaud; to welcome enthusiastically.
- To claim.
- To declare by acclamations.
- To elect to an office by having no opposition.
- An acclamation; a shout of applause.
- A claim.
- a community in Pennsylvania, USA.
- a town in Virginia, USA
- To account.
- Shaped like a needle.
- relating to the acme of something, highest.
- The perception of ringing, buzzing or hissing sounds that are not really there
- Auditory hallucination
- A leader of a plowing team in medieval England.
- rhetorical declamation
- esoteric teaching that was not to be written down
- An abbreviation formed by the initial letters of other words (as "TNT"), sometimes exclusively such abbreviations when pronounced as a word rather than as individual letters (as "laser").
- An abbreviation formed by the beginning letters or syllables of other words (as "Benelux").
- Similar to the adamant; very difficult to break, pierce, or cut.
- An imaginary rock or mineral of impenetrable hardness; a name given to the diamond and other substances of extreme hardness.
- An embodiment of impregnable hardness.
- A magnet; a lodestone.
- A benign tumour of the epithelium arising from or resembling a gland.
- The denial of the existence of gods, especially the legendary gods of Hinduism.
- That which is not in accord with dharma, i.e. wrong, immorality, and wickedness.
- A mass of fat found internally; also, a fatty tumor.
- An unmarried person celibate by choice.
- a cell that divides by
- Having no visible sex organs; asexual or cryptogamous.
- A task which ought to be done.
- Styled or called apart from given name and surname.
- An additional cognomen given, as an honour, to a Roman citizen.
- Something which ails one; a disease; sickness.
- Capable of being aimed.
- Without aim, purpose, or direction.
- Characterised or marked by air, especially bracingly cold air; windy; stormy
- to the death; mortally
- a city (home rule municipality) in Colorado, USA
- soprano or, possibly, virgin
- Having an alarm fitted.
- Worried; anxious; panicky.
- The ancient search for a universal panacea, and of the philosopher's stone, that eventually developed into chemistry.
- The causing of any sort of mysterious sudden transmutation.
- Any elaborate transformation process or algorithm.
- Descendent of Perseus and Andromeda, the wife of Amphitryon, and mother, by Zeus, of Heracles/Hercules.
- Short for a main belt asteroid.
- An early chemical apparatus, consisting of two retorts connected by a tube, used to purify substances by distillation
- Shaped like a wing
- Having wings
- Nourishment, sustenance.
- An allowance for maintenance; alimony.
- To feed, nourish.
- To sustain, support.
- A court-mandated allowance made to a former spouse by a divorced or legally separated person.
- The means to support life.
- A pseudonym, another person's name used as a pseudonym by the author of a work.
- An allonymous work: a book published under the name of a person other than its true author.
- A bark canoe used by the Africans.
- A boat used in Calicut (modern Kozhikode) in India, about eighty feet long and six or seven feet wide.
- A book or table listing nautical, astronomical, astrological or other events for the year; sometimes, but not essentially, containing historical and statistical information.
- A handbook, typically published annually, containing information on a particular subject
- Cupboard, cabinet or chest of drawers.
- Relating to a Berber caliphate in 12th century Morocco
- Redolent of almonds.
- one who distributes especially the doles and alms of religious houses, almshouses;
- one who dispenses alms for another, as the almoner of a prince, bishop
- a title given to a royal officer charged with the duty of distributing alms or bounty on behalf of a monarch
- A hospital official responsible for patient welfare and after-care.
- A building in which alms were distributed
- One who depends on the receipt of alms, a beggar.
- A large blue star in the constellation of Orion; Epsilon (ε) Orionis. It is one of the three stars that form Orion's Belt.
- An early 20th century movement in painting and writing, emerging from the Russian avant-garde, which made use of antirational or nonsensical elements.
- An absurd or nonsensical element deliberately added to a work that belongs to the alogism movement.
- Irrationality; the rejection of logical thinking as a means of approaching truth.
- An irrational statement or line of argument; a logical error.
- An inconsistency or arbitrary situation that follows no logical pattern.
- Somewhat like alum.
- Alternative name for aluminium / aluminum (the chemical element, symbol Al, with an atomic number of 13).
- A male pupil or student.
- A male graduate.
- A student of either gender.
- A graduate of either gender.
- alumina, especially a product made from fused alumina
- Lacking hands or manus.
- Having been gathered or assembled in a large group.
- The absence of breast tissue, nipple, and areola.
- Pertaining to love; amorous.
- Of or relating to love, especially sexual love.
- Causing wonder and amazement; very surprising.
- Possessing uniquely wonderful qualities.
- Very good.
- Indirect or roundabout ways of talking; circumlocution.
- Indirect or roundabout routes or directions.
- A large shrub or small tree found in and around water in the African tropics, formerly used to make rafts due to its extremely lightweight wood.
- A raft made from bundles of the stems of this plant.
- Encompassing on all sides; surrounding; encircling; enveloping.
- Evoking or creating an atmosphere: atmospheric.
- Relating to, or suitable for, storage at room temperature.
- Containing objects or describing a setting that one is interested in.
- Something that surrounds; encompassing material, substance or shape.
- The atmosphere; the surrounding air or sky; atmospheric components collectively such as air, clouds, water vapour, hail, etc.
- A type of modern music which incorporates elements of various musical styles, and creates a relaxing and peaceful atmosphere.
- Of glass: covered with stony speckles, symptoms of incipient devitrification.
- the range of a melody, especially those of ecclesiastical chants
- The exterior edge or border of a thing, such as a leaf or shell.
- A canvassing for votes.
- The act of one who ambles.
- A south-east Asian tree,
- The reddish, mottled or striped wood of this tree, used in cabinetmaking
- A fragrant substance derived from ambergris, used in the perfume industry.
- A form of resinite found in New Zealand coal seams.
- Two ones; the lowest throw at dice; a pair of aces.
- Bad luck, worthlessness.
- Resembling, or characteristic of an amoeba
- a municipality and one of the West Frisian Islands off the north coast of the Netherlands, neighbouring Terschelling to the west and Schiermonnikoog to the east
- That has been modified from a previous form.
- A thing or circumstance that is welcome and makes life a little easier or more pleasant.
- a unit pertaining to the infrastructure of a community, such as a public toilet, a postbox, a library etc.
- Mental impairment; state of being mentally handicapped.
- An American Indian.
- Of or relating to a hypothetical higher-level language family including all of the indigenous languages of the Americas, excluding those that belong to the Eskimo-Aleut or the Na-Dene.
- A triclinic-pedial mineral containing aluminum, hydrogen, magnesium, oxygen, and silicon.
- The congenital absence of the uterus
- A in Colorado
- A town in Maine
- A town in Massachusetts.
- A village in Nebraska
- A town in New Hampshire
- A town and suburb in New York
- A town in Nova Scotia
- A city in Ohio
- A township municipality in Quebec
- A city in Texas
- A town in Victoria, Australia
- A town in Virginia
- A village in Wisconsin
- Friendly; kind; sweet; gracious
- Of a pleasant an likeable nature; kind-hearted; easy to like
- In an amiable manner; in a friendly or pleasant manner.
- A product of amidation
- any of several classes of organic compound, formally derived from oxoacids, by replacement of the hydroxy group with an amino group, and the oxo group with =NR
- A revenue collector having jurisdiction over several villages, in the British Raj.
- An enzyme involved in amination.
- To introduce one or more amino groups into a compound, in the process of amination
- A device that measures the magnitude of an electric current, especially one calibrated in amperes.
- An explosive made up of ammonium nitrate, trinitrotoluene, and aluminium powder.
- A gaseous compound of hydrogen and nitrogen, NH3, with a pungent smell and taste.
- Relating to ammonia.
- Relating to the cornu ammonis.
- Of, pertaining to, or suffering from amnesia
- A person suffering from amnesia
- Any of the Amniota group of vertebrates having an amnion during the development of the embryo; mammals, birds and reptiles.
- Any member of the Amoebidae.
- A Greek island in the east of the Cyclades
- A town, the capital of the island of that name.
- Someone who is in love.
- Someone who writes about love.
- A wanton woman; a courtesan.
- Inclined or having a propensity to love, or to sexual enjoyment.
- Indicating love or sexual desire.
- Of or relating to, or produced by, love.
- Affected with love; in love; enamored.
- A variety of grunerite asbestos, once used in insulation.
- removal; ousting, especially, of a corporate officer from office
- deprivation of possession
- To render larger, more extended, or more intense, and the like;—used especially of loudspeakers, telescopes, microscopes, etc.
- To enlarge by addition or discussion; to treat copiously by adding particulars, illustrations, etc.; to expand; to make much of.
- To increase the amplitude of something, especially of an electric current.
- A Roman two-handled vessel.
- A vessel for containing consecrated wine or oil.
- The dilated end of a duct.
- Funny, hilarious.
- Giving entertainment or amusement; recreative
- illusive, deceitful
- The congenital lack of a spinal cord
- A compound of the radical amyl with oxygen and a positive atom or radical.
- The soluble form of starch (the insoluble form being amylopectin) that is a linear polymer of glucose.
- All the vertebrates, such as the Amphibia, which lack an amnion during development.
- a city in Iowa, USA
- The doctrine that there is no transcendental ego or soul; that the perceived true self is an illusion. Corresponds to the Hinayana or Theravada Buddhist doctrine of anattā.
- The art of studying the different parts of any organized body, to discover their situation, structure, and economy; dissection.
- The science that deals with the form and structure of organic bodies; anatomical structure or organization.
- A treatise or book on anatomy.
- The act of dividing anything, corporeal or intellectual, for the purpose of examining its parts; analysis
- The form of an individual, particularly a person, used in a tongue in cheek manner, as might be a term used by a medical professional, but in a markedly a less formal context, in which a touch of irony becomes apparent.
- A skeleton, or dead body.
- The physical or functional organization of an organism, or part of it.
- Related to the Andaman Islands, or to their people or languages.
- A benign tumor made up of small blood vessels or lymph vessels.
- A belief that spirits inhabit some or all classes of natural objects or phenomena.
- A belief that an immaterial force animates the universe.
- A doctrine that animal life is produced by an immaterial spirit.
- A believer in animism.
- Resolute and full of vigor; vehement.
- A deviation from a rule or from what is regarded as normal; an outlier.
- Something or someone that is strange or unusual.
- Any event or measurement that is out of the ordinary regardless of whether it is exceptional or not.
- Any of various angular distances.
- A defect or malformation.
- A failure of a classical symmetry due to quantum corrections.
- An irregularity or disproportion.
- Not according to rule; abnormal.
- Inability to smell; the inability to perceive odors.
- Having anosmia; lacking a sense of smell.
- Lacking olfactory organs; anosmatic.
- A person with anosmia; a person lacking a sense of smell.
- Preventing jamming (communications interference).
- A type of aphasia in which the ability to speak is lost.
- Of, relating to, or afflicted with aphemia.
- An ingrowth of the arthropod exoskeleton, serving as an attachment site for muscles.
- Asexual reproduction of a fully formed plant directly from a bud.
- Any apomictic plant or organism.
- The perpendicular distance from the center of a circle to a chord of the same circle.
- The distance from the center of a regular polygon perpendicular to one of its sides (a special case of the above).
- The difference between two quantities commensurable only in power, as between 1 and the square root of 2, or between the diagonal and side of a square.
- The remaining part of a whole tone after a smaller semitone has been deducted from it; a major semitone.
- An idiom characteristic of the Arabic language.
- A subfamily of languages in the Northwest Semitic language group including (but not limited to):
- The language of the Aramaeans from the tenth century BC: often called Old Aramaic.
- The language of the administration in the Assyrian, Babylonian and Persian empires from the seventh to fourth centuries BC: often called Imperial Aramaic or Official Aramaic.
- The language of portions of the Hebrew Bible, mainly the books of Ezra and Daniel: often called Biblical Aramaic.
- The language of Jesus of Nazareth: a form of Galilean Aramaic.
- The language of Jewish targums, Midrash and the Talmuds.
- The liturgical language of various Christian churches: often called Syriac.
- The liturgical language of the Mandaeans: usually called Mandaic.
- Referring to the Aramaic language, alphabet, culture or poetry.
- A mystery or deep secret.
- An elixir or secret remedy.
- A region (marz) of the Republic of Armenia.
- A town in that region.
- A city in Krasnodar Krai, Russia.
- A bone in the arm, specifically, the humerus.
- A person entitled to bear a coat of arms.
- A squire carrying the armour of a knight.
- A military decoration in Ancient Rome
- A ring of hair or feathers on the legs.
- Resembling an arm (limb) or some aspect of one.
- A quantity of things approaching the maximum that could be held or carried with one arm.
- A wrestling move in which the opponent's arm is held immobile
- Any of several distinct attacks against an opponent’s arm in martial arts
- Power to control or heavily influence something or someone.
- A type of cupboard, cabinet, or wardrobe - originally used for storing weapons.
- Clad or equipped with arms or armor.
- Covered with armor, as a ship or the face of a fortification; armor-plated.
- a manufacturer of weapons, especially of guns
- a military specialist in charge of the upkeep of small arms etc
- someone who makes or repairs armor
- Relating to Armorica; Armorican.
- The language spoken by the Gauls of Armorica, the ancestor of Breton.
- A place where arms are kept, an arsenal.
- A collection of weapons and materiel.
- A place where arms are made.
- A frame, generally vertical, for holding small arms.
- Part of the seat of a chair that is designed to support the arm.
- an opening in a garment for the attachment of a sleeve; an armhole
- A median lobe into which the pretarsus expands, in an insect's leg.
- A square sail, on a Roman oared ship?
- A man skilled in an art or in arts.
- the Hindu god of the sun
- name, common in India, transliterated from आर्यमन.
- Feeling shame or guilt.
- Any of the four stages of Hindu spiritual life
- The soft, bitter, yellow substance produced when meat, bread, gum, sugar, starch, etc. are roasted till they turn brown.
- Used in a manner intended to deceive; pretended; simulated.
- Supposed or presumed.
- That which is assumed; an assumption.
- To take up; to elevate; to assume.
- Polite irony; a genteel and ingenious manner of deriding another.
- The reappearance of an ancestral characteristic in an organism after several generations of absence.
- The recurrence or reversion to a past behaviour, method, characteristic or style after a long period of absence.
- Reversion to past primitive behavior, especially violence.
- A hybrid between a cherimoya and a sweetsop
- The tree that bears this fruit.
- A monotheistic religion of ancient Egypt.
- Belief that no deities exist (sometimes including rejection of other religious beliefs).
- Rejection of belief that any deities exist (with or without a belief that no deities exist).
- Absence of belief that any deities exist (including absence of the concept of deities).
- Absence of belief in a particular deity, pantheon, or religious doctrine (notwithstanding belief in other deities).
- The absence of emotion; morbid impassivity.
- The absence of the thymus gland or the suppression of its secretion, also called athymism.
- That lacks a thymus gland
- The ancient Greek theory that all matter is composed of very small indestructible and indivisible particles.
- The doctrine that society arises from individuals and that larger structures are unimportant.
- An adherent of atomism; one who believes matter is composed of elementary indivisible particles.
- An adherent of the atomic theory.
- to separate or reduce into atoms
- to make into a fine spray
- to fragment, break into small pieces or concepts
- to bomb with nuclear weapons
- To try.
- To try to move, by entreaty, by afflictions, or by temptations; to tempt.
- To try to win, subdue, or overcome.
- To attack; to make an effort or attack upon; to try to take by force.
- The action of trying at something.
- An assault or attack, especially an assassination attempt.
- Set in a tumbling motion.
- To increase; to make larger or supplement.
- To grow; to increase; to become greater.
- To slow the tempo or meter, e.g. for a dramatic or stately passage.
- To increase an interval, especially the largest interval in a triad, by a half step (chromatic semitone).
- To add an augment to.
- In some Indo-European languages, a prefix e- (a- in Sanskrit) indicating a past tense of a verb.
- In some Bantu languages, an additional vowel prepended to the noun prefix.
- A man involved in automobile manufacture.
- An infraspecific name in which the species epithet is repeated.
- A name used by a group or category of people to refer to themselves or their language, as opposed to a name given to them by other groups.
- The true name of a person or other entity, especially an author.
- A work published under the author's true name."Autonym", OED 2nd ed.
- Causing awe or terror; inspiring wonder or excitement.
- Excellent, exciting, remarkable.
- The quality, state, or essence of being awesome or cool; awesomeness.
- A bundle of nine microtubules forming the internal scaffolding of a cilium, with two extra central microtubules connecting the others if the cilium is motile
- Of or relating to the Aymara people or their language.
- An arc of the horizon intercepted between the meridian of the place and a vertical circle passing through the center of any object
- The quadrant of an azimuth circle.
- One who administers the eucharist with unleavened bread; used pejoratively by those of the Greek church referring to the Latins.
- unleavened, unfermented.
- A pagan religion centred on the worship of Baal.
- Administrative bureaucracy, or red tape, in India.
- A malapropism produced by an Indian speaking English.
- The state of being a baby.
- A babyish manner of acting or speaking.
- A bone found in the penis of some mammals.
- A small rod-like structure found in spores and pollen.
- A rogue, ruffian or miscreant.
- The language of the Baguirmi people of Chad, spoken mainly in the Chari-Baguirmi Prefecture.
- A family of languages which includes the Bagirmi language as well as Naba, Kenga, Fer, Beraku, Disa and Goulai.
- A member of the family Psychidae of the Lepidoptera.
- Eastern tent caterpillar.
- Fall webworm.
- bailey (fortification)
- Like balsam, as of balsam.
- A city (and also a district) in Bavaria, Germany
- A city in South Carolina
- A Christian sacrament, by which one is received into a church and sometimes given a name, generally involving the candidate to be anointed with or submerged in water.
- A similar ceremony of initiation, purification or naming.
- A set of organisms descended from some originally created species (based on the Biblical doctrine of Special Creation); a kind.
- The system of bards; the learning and maxims of bards.
- A woman who serves in a bar.
- The battlement on the exterior fortification of a castle in northern England and parts of Scotland; a barbican.
- A court held in Derbyshire, England, for deciding controversies between miners.
- A player positioned at or near a base: first baseman, second baseman or third baseman.
- Relating to bathmism.
- A player of the batting side now on the field.
- The player now receiving strike; the striker.
- Any player selected for his or her team principally to bat, as opposed to a bowler.
- A hitter.
- Beamy; radiant; luminous.
- In a beaming manner.
- Smilingly happy; showing happy emotion.
- The act of someone or something that beams.
- The state, essence, or quality of being a bear (the mammal).
- The state of being a bear (in homosexual subculture).
- To charm; fascinate; hold by a charm or spell.
- proper; decorous
- The two-character symbol sequence ":=" used in some programming languages to mean is assigned the value of. Used to distinguish between assignment of value and comparison for equality.
- A person with whom one shares a bed.
- The time or hour at which one retires to bed in order to sleep.
- To make gloomy; darken.
- To sadden.
- To make something dirty; to soil
- A grandmother.
- An old woman, particularly an ugly one.
- country in Western Europe that has borders with the Netherlands, Germany, Luxembourg and France.
- The name of many places, including:
- a village in and the county seat of New York, USA.
- To call by the title of madam.
- The trade name for a type of rayon yarn. Fabrics made from this yarn are frequently used for presentation flags, and for lining high quality suits and coats. Bemberg silk is a less costly, and versatile, substitute for natural silk.
- To treat with mercy; show mercy to; milse.
- A city in Minnesota, USA
- To weep or mourn over.
- To mouth the praises of (a person); talk grandiloquently; declaim.
- deeply thoughtful; preoccupied
- perplexed and bewildered
- A fungicide that binds to microtubules, interfering with cell functions such as meiosis and intracellular transportation.
- derived from any of several places.
- Jeremy Bentham, English philosopher and social reformer.
- To compose rhymes about; celebrate in rhyme; make poetry about someone.
- To lampoon.
- To shame; put to shame; make shameful.
- To make dirty with something slimy; befoul
- To insult, to say negative things about.
- To cover or daub with slime; slime.
- To smear over; smear all over; sully.
- To smell out; sniff about, around, or all over; investigate or check by smelling; detect a smell or a scent.
- To smile at; give or show a smile to.
- To fill with smoke; act on with smoke; fumigate.
- To befoul with smoke.
- To harden or dry in smoke.
- One who uses a besom.
- To overtake with a storm; assail with storms.
- To take hold of or mark with the thumbs; soil or mark with frequent thumbing.
- In good season or time; early, especially in the morning.
- In a short time, soon.
- To vomit upon; vomit all over.
- A tree, related to the carambola.
- The fruit of the tree.
- Of or relating to the Bimana.
- Having two modes or forms
- Having two modes (local maxima)
- a cantilever that consists of two active layers: piezoelectric and metal.
- A name having two parts.
- A scientific name at the rank of species, with two terms: a generic name and a specific name.
- A massive, unlayered, mound-shape body in discordant relationship to the surrounding layered facies which drape over it; thus either a reef or a bank (after Asquith, 1979, p.73).
- A mass of rock constructed from the remains of marine organisms such as coral or algae
- The total mass of a living thing or part thereof, such as a cell.
- The total mass of all living things within a specific area, habitat etc.
- Vegetation used as a fuel, or source of energy, especially if cultivated for that purpose.
- The study of animal and plant structure by dissection.
- A fusion of two triangular prisms
- An optical device of this construction used to generate interference fringes
- The state of being a bird, or of belonging to the world of birds; birds collectively.
- a man who works with birds
- an aviator
- A monoclinic mineral, bismuth trioxide.
- A chemical element (symbol Bi) with an atomic number of 83.
- A single atom of this element.
- Smeared with bitumen.
- The act of accusing or assigning culpability to
- A small flaw which spoils the appearance of something, a stain, a spot.
- A moral defect; a character flaw.
- To spoil the appearance of.
- To tarnish (reputation, character, etc.); to defame.
- To be lustful; to be lascivious.
- in heat; said of ewes
- A member of a dualist Christian sect which flourished in the Balkans during the 10th to 15th centuries and was characterized by resistance to the state and church authorities.
- Cotton, or cotton wool.
- Cotton, or any soft, fibrous material, used as stuffing for garments; stuffing, padding.
- High-sounding words; language above the dignity of the occasion; a pompous or ostentatious manner of writing or speaking.
- To swell or fill out; to inflate, to pad.
- To use high-sounding words; to speak or write in a pompous or ostentatious manner.
- Big without meaning, or high-sounding; bombastic, inflated; magniloquent.
- The action of dropping bombs from the air.
- The action of placing and detonating bombs.
- A shallow isolated piece of reef located a distance offshore.
- A man who is bound in servitude; a slave or serf.
- A fee charged by the owner of a boom for its use in storing logs.
- A fee charged for the use of the area where a boom is tied.
- Experiencing a period of prosperity, or rapid economic growth.
- Loud and resonant.
- The act of producing a hollow or roaring sound.
- A small period of rapid growth.
- A bordar; a tenant in bordage.
- The state of being bored.
- An instance or period of being bored; A bored state.
- Having a bosom (of a specified kind).
- The domination of a political party by a single, powerful person (the boss)
- A sailor who works in the bow of a vessel.
- a city in Montana, USA
- Related or belonging to a certain family of abugidas used to write many languages of South and Southeast Asia, descended from the
- covered in brambles
- A cultivar of apple, used especially as a cooking apple
- A city/town in Missouri.
- Filled to maximum capacity.
- The maximum amount a container can hold.
- A large amount.
- Describing minerals that contain bromine
- poisoning by bromine or bromides
- The univalent anion BrO2-
- Any salt of bromous acid
- To prepare or treat with bromine.
- A town in south-east London, and the name of a London Borough within Greater London.
- A district of east London, officially Bromley by Bow.
- Of or pertaining to bromous acid or its derivatives
- Carrying or using a broom.
- The worker in charge of the cages at the pithead.