Page 1 from 7
Total results: 6431
- To blind by holding a red-hot metal rod or plate before the eyes
- Having given oneself up to vice; immoral; extremely wicked, or sinning without restraint; irreclaimably wicked.
- No longer maintained by its former owners, residents or caretakers; forsaken, deserted.
- Free from constraint; uninhibited.
- No longer being acted upon by the geologic forces that formed it.
- One to whom something is abandoned.
- The act of abasing, humbling, or bringing low.
- The state of being abased or humbled; humiliation.
- In an abashed manner.
- The state of being abashed; embarrassment from shame.
- A town in Picardy, France, on the Somme.
- A city in Alabama, USA
- A city in Georgia, USA
- A city in Louisiana
- A town in Mississippi.
- A city in South Carolina, USA
- Capable of being abdicated.
- The alphabet, written out in a teaching book, or carved on a wall; a primer; abecedarium.
- One that teaches or learns the alphabet or the fundamentals of any subject; abecedarian.
- Referring to the alphabet; alphabetical; related to or resembling an abecedarius; abecedarian.
- Relating to organs outside of the intestine.
- A village in Perth and Kinross, Scotland
- State of being aberrant; a wandering from the right way; deviation from truth, rectitude.
- The condition of being aberrant; an aberrance.
- The deviation of a curve from circular form.
- Abnormal; distorted; irregular; atypical.
- Inconsistent with, or far removed from, something; strongly opposed
- Contrary to something; discordant.
- Abhorring; detesting; having or showing abhorrence; loathing.
- Detestable or repugnant.
- Of or pertaining to abietin; as abietinic acid (C19H29COOH).
- Any of several Philistine kings.
- A low or downcast condition; meanness of spirit; abasement; degradation.
- Something cast off; garbage.
- The act of bringing down or humbling; casting down.
- The act of casting off; rejection.
- The act of dispersing or casting off spores.
- Tending to make abject.
- One who abnegates, denies, or rejects.
- A foreboding; an omen.
- Agent noun of abolish; one who abolishes.
- Abominable; detested.
- To feel disgust towards; to abhor; to loathe or detest thoroughly; to hate in the highest degree, as if with religious dread.
- To dislike strongly.
- Abortifacient; an agent producing abortion.
- Reproductively sterile or miscarrying.
- On deck; and hence, like aboveboard, without artifice; smart
- That may be abraded.
- The joint or interstice between stones, to be filled with mortar.
- A cold water drinking fountain typically found in a public location; also, a fountain or water source for animals (birds, horses etc).
- Capable of being abrogated.
- Affected by an abscess.
- A person who absconds.
- Having the ability or tendency to absorb; able to soak up liquid easily; absorptive.
- Anything which absorbs.
- The vessels by which the processes of absorption are carried on, as the lymphatics in animals, the extremities of the roots in plants.
- Any substance which absorbs and neutralizes acid fluid in the stomach and bowels, as magnesia, chalk, etc.; also a substance, e.g., iodine, which acts on the absorbent vessels so as to reduce enlarged and indurated parts.
- A liquid used in the process of separating gases or volatile liquids, in oil refining.
- Agent noun of abstain; one who abstains; especially, one who abstains from something, such as the use of alcohol or drugs, or one who abstains for religious reasons; one who practices self-denial.
- A large quantity; many.
- An overflowing fullness or ample sufficiency; profusion; copious supply; superfluity; plentifulness.
- Wealth; affluence; plentiful amount of resources.
- Frequency, amount, ratio of something within a given environment or sample.
- A bid to take nine or more tricks in solo whist.
- In an abusive manner; rudely; with abusive language.
- Able to be accrued.
- Leaning or reclining, as the ancients did at their meals.
- Lying against anything, as one part of a leaf against another leaf
- One who rests in an accumbent position, especially at table.
- Liable to be accused or censured; chargeable with a crime or fault; blamable; -- with of
- Capable of being activated.
- Capable of adapting or of being adapted.
- Capable of being adduced.
- Deserving of the highest esteem or admiration.
- Able to be adopted.
- Desirable to adopt.
- a substance which has been adsorbed
- Tending to adsorb.
- The solid or liquid in the process of adsorption on which the adsorbate accumulates.
- To foreshadow vaguely.
- To give a vague outline.
- To obscure or overshadow.
- Of or relating to an adverb.
- An adverbial word or phrase.
- Worthy of being recommended; desirable.
- Capable of being advised or willing to be advised.
- Having to do with acrobatic maneuvers, such as spins, twirls, and flips, performed by an airplane.
- Capable of being affixed.
- A secondary, weaker half of a musical beat.
- Pleasing, either to the mind or senses; pleasant; grateful.
- Willing; ready to agree or consent.
- Agreeing or suitable; conformable; correspondent; concordant; adapted; definition.
- In pursuance, conformity, or accordance; definition
- Something pleasing; anything that is agreeable.
- In an agreeable manner; in a manner to give pleasure; pleasingly.
- In accordance; suitably; consistently; conformably.
- Alike; similarly.
- Easily alarmed; excitable.
- Of a building, etc.: capable of being fitted with an alarm system.
- A ceramic pharmacy or drug jar, generally majolica ware, usually tall rather than wide, and often of a waisted shape.
- Isabela Island, the largest of the Galápagos Islands.
- a city in North Carolina, USA, and county seat of Stanly County.
- A bituminous mineral resembling asphalt.
- A picture printed from a kind of gelatine plate produced by means of a photographic negative.
- Becoming white or whitish; moderately white.
- One of the brightest stars in the sky, now recognised to be a binary star in the constellation Taurus (alpha (α) Tauri); an orange giant, 68 light years from Earth.
- The "salt of wisdom" of the alchemists, a double salt composed of the chlorides of ammonium and mercury, formerly used as a stimulant.
- Of, or relating to, algebra.
- Containing only numbers, letters and arithmetic operators.
- Which is a root of some polynomial whose coefficients are rational.
- Describing squares by file (referred to in intrinsic order rather than by the piece starting on that file) and rank, both with reference to a fixed point rather than a player-dependent perspective.
- Able to be allocated.
- Appropriate; satisfactory; acceptable.
- Intellectually admissible; valid; probable.
- Able to be added or deducted in consideration of something.
- Permissible; tolerable; legitimate.
- In an alterable manner.
- Capable of being amassed.
- A tropical fruit tree native to the South Pacific,
- The fruit of this tree.
- Any of several large food and game yellowtail fishes of the genus Seriola, found in warm waters of all oceans.
- Resembling the resin amber.
- an early type of photograph in which a glass negative appears positive when displayed on a black background
- An emergency vehicle designed for transporting seriously ill or injured people to a hospital.
- A mobile field hospital.
- An ambush; a trap laid for an enemy.
- The place in which troops lie hidden for an ambush.
- The body of troops lying in ambush.
- To lie in wait for, or to attack from a covert or lurking place; to waylay.
- A substance that kills amoebae, usually in the stomach or intestines.
- That resembles an amoeba/ameba
- Capable of being amended.
- Liable to be lost.
- A poem in which persons are represented as speaking alternately.
- Any of a large group of structurally similar hydrated double silicate minerals, containing various combinations of sodium, calcium, magnesium, iron, and aluminium/aluminum
- A pyridine alkaloid similar to nicotine, found in a close relative of the common tobacco plant, formerly used as an insecticide.
- Any substance produced as a result of anabolism
- Without oxygen; especially of an environment or organism.
- Of or relating to an anaerobe.
- The bone of the ankle.
- name, a variant of Annabel or Annabelle.
- Able to be annexed.
- Desirable; capable or worthy of being the object of desire.
- Compliant; accommodating.
- Able to be put into use or applied; applicable.
- Capable of being apposed, or applied one to another, as the thumb to the fingers of the hand; able to be brought into direct spatial opposition.
- To give official sanction, consent or authorization
- An elaborate design of intertwined floral figures or complex geometrical patterns. This ornamental design is mainly used in Islamic Art and architecture.
- An ornate composition, especially for the piano.
- A dance position in which the dancer stands on one leg, with the other raised backwards, and the arms outstretched.
- An aldopentose that occurs most often in polysaccharides such as hemicellulose and pectin.
- A market activity in which a security, commodity, currency or other tradable item is bought in one market and sold simultaneously in another, in order to profit from price differences between the markets.
- To employ arbitrage
- To engage in arbitrage in, between, or among
- To make a judgment (on a dispute) as an arbitrator or arbiter
- To submit (a dispute) to such judgment
- To assign an arbitrary value to, or otherwise determine arbitrarily.
- Woody (as opposed to herbaceous).
- Wooded, covered with trees.
- That can be aroused
- A vehicle that operates as a mobile art exhibition.
- Resembling or relating to asbestos.
- Relating to, or resembling, asbestos.
- Any salt or ester of ascorbic acid.
- That may be assayed.
- Capable of being assumed, or taken to be true.
- Capable of being assumed, or taken on.
- An astronomical and navigational instrument for gauging the altitude of the Sun and stars.
- A creeping perennial plant native to southeastern Europe, grown as a groundcover and in rock gardens for its dense foliage and purple, pink or white flowers.
- Able to be audited
- Such as one may avail oneself of; capable of being used for the accomplishment of a purpose.
- Readily obtainable.
- Having sufficient power, force, or efficacy to achieve the purpose; availing, effective.
- Not in a romantic relationship; single.
- Capable of being averred.
- Capable of being averted; preventable.
- Capable of being vacated; liable to be annulled or made invalid; voidable.
- Capable of being avoided, shunned, or escaped.
- Something that can be avoided.
- Capable of being awarded.
- a town in Buckinghamshire, England
- a red azo dye used as a food colouring, mostly in baked goods
- A priestess of Bacchus.
- A female bacchanal.
- The area of play behind either the offensive or defensive line.
- The players positioned in this area.
- A decorated comb that attaches a veil to the back of a bride's head.
- A large tattoo on a person's back.
- A circuit board that connects several connectors in parallel to each other, so that each pin of each connector is linked to the same relative pin of all the other connectors, forming a computer bus.
- A plate protecting a fighting person's back.
- A plate harnessed to a diver's back, to which the gas cylinders are attached.
- A metal plate on the rear of a computer's casing, used to cover a port or slot.
- A wood or metal plate that serves as a backing for an object.
- A rigid metal plate inside the brake drum, which supports the wheel cylinder, brake shoes, and other parts of a drum brake.
- Part of a condenser microphone that sits behind the diaphragm and which acts, in conjunction with the diaphragm, as a sort of variable capacitor.
- To regress; to slip backwards or revert to a previous, worse state.
- To shirk responsibility; to renege on one's obligations or commitments.
- A backward regression; a reverting back to a worse state.
- The key on a typewriter that moves the head one position backwards.
- A keyboard key used for removing a character behind the cursor, and moving the cursor one position backwards.
- The non-printable text character representing a backspace.
- To remove a character behind a cursor.
- To move a magnetic tape to a previous block.
- Relating to, or situated in the area behind a stage.
- Secret, concealed from the public.
- Towards the area behind the stage.
- Out of view of the public.
- The area behind a stage out of view of the audience where performers wait to give their show; especially that of the dressing rooms.
- The private portion of the space used by a business or enterprise.
- A stack trace.
- To examine a stack trace
- To find the cause of something by examining past events
- Of, relating to, or caused by bacteria.
- A single celled organism with cell walls but no nucleus or organelles.
- To treat with bacteria.
- A micro-organism such as a bacterium or yeast.
- A bacterium of the species Bacteroides.
- A symbiotic form of the nitrogen-fixing bacterium Rhizobia, or the root nodule that it produces.
- Resembling bacteria.
- Without a badge.
- The act of one who badgers, pesters, or annoys.
- a brief and lively dance
- the music to accompany this dance, or in this style
- The characteristic of being baggy.
- A box of the lowest tier in a theatre.
- A piece of paper containing a recognizance or bail bond.
- The cloudberry, Rubus chamaemorus
- A board upon which dough is prepared (kneaded, etc) while making bread.
- A building or an apartment used for the preparing and baking of bread and other baked goods.
- A building principally containing ovens.
- in the Middle East, southwest Asia and Eastern Europe: a bribe or tip.
- To bribe with a baksheesh.
- Of or pertaining to Balaam (a Biblical figure).
- Resembling Balaam, as described in Revelation 2:14.
- A Balaamite person.
- A protecting ruffle or frill, as of silk or lace, sewn close to the lower edge of a skirt on the inside.
- That has a balcony attached.
- Meum athamanticum, an ornamental plant in the Apiaceae family.
- Lacking hair on the head; bald.
- In a baleful manner.
- The state or quality of being balky.
- A singer, particularly a professional singer who performs ballads.
- To sing a ballad
- A female ballet dancer.
- The star female ballet performer in the company.
- A male ballet dancer.
- A ballet flat shoe.
- Baseball playing field.
- a city in Texas, USA
- a hamlet in district, Buckinghamshire, England, shown as Ballinger Bottom and Ballinger Common on Ordnance Survey maps
- A balloonist.
- A type of sail.
- A leap of a horse, as between two pillars, or on a straight line, so that when his four feet are in the air, he shows only the shoes of his hind feet, without jerking out.
- In France, a second ballot taken after an indecisive first ballot to decide between two or several candidates; a runoff election.
- The characteristic of being balmy.
- A plant, the Impatiens balsamina, or garden balsam.
- A city in central Maryland, USA
- A lightweight fabric made from cotton and wool, used for summer dresses.
- To con, defraud, trick, to make a fool of, to humbug or impose on someone.
- Wearing a bandana.
- The state or quality of being bandy.
- A pocketed belt for holding ammunition, worn over the shoulder.
- An outlaw or bandit, specially of Spain or Mexico.
- An ammunition belt, worn over the shoulder, having loops or pockets for cartridges.
- A glutinous pomatum for the hair.
- To apply bandoline to (the hair).
- A flowering plant of the genus Actaea.
- The poisonous berry of one of these plants.
- The state capital of Karnataka (India).
- To outsource (an employee, position, or function) to India, especially to Bangalore.
- A guest at a banquet.
- joking; jesting
- That teases
- To cause to become savage or uncultured.
- To become savage or uncultured.
- To adopt a foreign or barbarous mode of speech.
- A European bat ( with hairy lips.
- Cooked on a barbecue.
- One who (or a device which) barbecues.
- The trade of and practice of shaving and cutting hair.
- The practice among pets of overgrooming each other, leaving bald patches.
- A soft clay used for moulding or decorating pottery
- A Venetian folk song traditionally sung by gondoliers
- A composition in this style
- Undisguisedly offensive and bold; crude; coarse; brazen
- Open, undisguised
- Unbearded (not having a beard or other facial hair)
- The party to a contract who receives, or agrees to receive, the property being sold.
- A person who makes a bargain.
- Resembling or characteristic of a barge.
- A rapid alternation of two notes on two strings of a violin etc
- A local judge among miners.
- An officer of the barmote.
- Crusted with barnacles.
- Thickly covered in something, as if with barnacles.
- Familiar with the ocean and/or seafaring.
- Old and weathered, particularly with respect to persons or things associated with the ocean.
- Marked by personal experiences; worldly.
- Encumbered with something unnecessary or undesirable, especially through a slow, gradual process of accumulation.
- The art or process of making barometrical measurements.
- the rank of a baronet
- In a baroque style.
- A kind of small sailboat.
- A small boat-shaped pastry shell with a sweet or savoury filling.
- Quantity of beer (or other drink) measured in barrels
- A small, deep-sea osmeriform fish of the family , with barrel-shaped, tubular eyes which are generally directed upwards to detect the silhouettes of available prey.
- As much as a barrel will hold.
- A large amount.
- A defect in which a testpiece is deformed into a barrel-like shape.
- having a barrel or specified number of barrels.
- A lawyer with the right to speak and argue as an advocate in higher lawcourts.
- One who tends a bar or pub; a person preparing and serving drinks at a bar.
- A panel or molding between the floor and the interior wall of a structure
- A similar panel at the base of a piece of furniture or equipment.
- A player who plays from the baseline, seldom moving to the net.
- A solid piece of material that has enough strength and sturdiness to serve as the surface to which other things are attached to be supported.
- A point that marks the beginning and the end of a topological loop
- Said of anthers that are attached to the filament at the base and pointing away from the filament.
- Resembling a basin or some aspect of one.
- That develops, matures or opens from the apex towards the base in sequence
- The amount that will fit into a basket
- A saline evaporite, consisting of calcium sulphate, found at Vesuvius.
- The upward direction of a vein in a mine.
- The emergence of a stratum at the surface.
- A monoclinic-prismatic mineral containing hydrogen, iron, oxygen, phosphorus, and uranium.
- A blow with a stick or cudgel.
- A sound beating with a stick or cudgel, specifically: A form of punishment among the Turks, Chinese, and others, consisting in beating an offender on the soles of his feet.
- To beat in this manner.
- Furnished with a bastion; having bastions.
- A cofferdam.
- A wall built across the ditch of a fortification, with a sluice gate to regulate the height of water in the ditch on both sides of the wall.
- Able to be bathed.
- Of a body of water: suitable for bathing in.
- A building with baths for communal use.
- A building where swimmers can change clothes.
- In the Old Testament, the wife of Uriah and later of David.
- name of biblical origin.
- A ballet move involving a beating action with an extended leg
- A thumping or beating sensation
- Having a (specified kind of) battery.
- A heavy beating
- A large defeat
- The state or condition of being batty.
- The state or characteristic of being bawdy.
- A bawdy remark.
- Of or relating to (1615–1691), English Puritan church leader, poet, and theologian.
- A follower of Richard Baxter.
- Without a beach or beaches.
- Bordering a beach
- The land bordering a beach.
- Clothing suitable for wearing on the beach, though not necessarily for swimming in.
- Money paid for the maintenance of a beacon.
- Beacons collectively.
- participle of (The emitting of signals from a beacon).
- A continuous signaling of error conditions on a LAN, or small packets on a wireless LAN (WLAN).
- In a token ring network, the process of isolating a fault domain with signals, so that recovery actions can take place.
- An almshouse for poor people who pray daily for their benefactors.
- The state or quality of being beady.
- Beadles collectively, and their characteristics as a class.
- Stupid or senseless officiousness.
- The amount that a beaker will hold.
- The state or quality of being beamy.
- In a beaming way, or while beaming
- A field where beans are grown.
- The stem of a bean plant, proverbially fast growing and tall.
- A tall, slim person.
- Any of three dwarf shrubs of the genus Arctostaphylos, which principally grow in arctic and subarctic regions and bear edible berries.
- Arctostaphylos uva-ursi, the
- Arbutus menziesii.
- Any of various deep-sea fish, of the family Polymixiidae, that have a pair of long hyoid barbels.
- Lacking a beard.
- Not having reached puberty or manhood; youthful.
- Destitute of an awn.
- Resembling a beard or some aspect of one.
- A dog for baiting or hunting bears.
- In a bearish manner.
- The property or state of being a beast.
- Resembling a beast or some aspect of one.
- Having been recognized and declared, by the church, that a deceased has entered heaven; having attained this step in the process of canonization.
- The name of several places in Northern France
- of Norman origin
- The black and white standard of the
- Attractive and possessing charm.
- Pleasant; clear.
- Well executed.
- The estate or rank of a beauty or of beautiful women.
- Hunting or trapping beaver
- A trigonal-ditrigonal pyramidal yellow mineral containing aluminum, copper, hydrogen, iron, lead, oxygen, and sulfur.
- A small or young beaver.
- A small hat made of beaver fur.
- The name of several places
- A city in Oregon, USA
- A town in Ontario, Canada
- A village in Alabama, USA
- A hamlet in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
- An alkaloid found in the bark of the It is a tonic, antiperiodic, and febrifuge, and is used in medicine as a substitute for quinine.
- To blister blister badly; cover with blisters.
- To make swollen, disfigured, bleared, or sullied by weeping.
- A small bird, the figpecker.
- That beckons.
- Such a wave or similar action.
- Wearing a cloak.
- To make cripple; make lame.
- One with whom one shares a bed.
- An associate, often an otherwise improbable one.
- The skill or act of making beds (arranging the sheets, etc.).
- To befoul with rain and mud.
- To make something wet and limp.
- The topmost covering of a bed, often functioning as a blanket.
- A coverlet.
- A springy surface that supports the mattress of a bed.
- A covered metal pan attached to a long handle, holding live coals and used to warm a bed.
- The wood of the beech tree.
- A wood largely populated with beech trees.
- The characteristic of being beefy.
- (A) steak cut from beef cattle.
- The also known as perilla and shiso (
- The herb prepared from the leaves of the
- A beefsteak tomato.
- A celebratory dinner, commonly held in New York between about 1870 and 1940 involving the consumption of enormous quantities of broiled steak and beer.
- A person who maintains hives and keeps bees, especially for the production of honey.
- A tavern that sells beer.
- The state or quality of being beery.
- One who makes beer; a brewer.
- usually applying to
- Resembling beetroot in colour, texture, etc.
- Containing beetroot.
- A happening; occurrence; chance; event.
- Appertaining; appropriate; fitting.
- To deck or cover with feathers.
- appropriate, becoming
- To flatter greatly or excessively.
- Adorned with ornamental braid fasteners.
- confused or perplexed
- The act or product of one who begets.
- The realm or state of beggars.
- in a begging manner
- The act of doing that which begins anything; commencement of an action, state, or space of time; entrance into being or upon a course; the first act, effort, or state of a succession of acts or states.
- That which is begun; a rudiment or element.
- That which begins or originates something; the first cause; origin; source.
- The initial portion of some extended thing.
- To make glamorous.
- To bedazzle; to deceive as if by magic.
- The governor of a province of the Ottoman Empire, ranking immediately below the grand vizier.
- To cover with glitter; to make glittery.
- Wearing goggles.
- To make or render uneasy; disconcert.
- Showing the effects of much weeping; marred or swollen in the face through continued weeping.
- A beguilement.
- That beguiles or beguile.
- An instance of a person being beheaded.
- Pertaining to the ideas of seventeenth-century German mystic
- A supporter or adherent of such theosophical ideas.
- The act by which something is beheld.
- Devoid of being; nonexistent.
- Devoid of living beings; uninhabited.
- The state or quality of being being; existence.
- covered in jewels, especially as decoration
- Knotted again and again; covered with knots.
- In a belated manner; tardily
- To besiege; to surround with troops.
- To vex, harass, or beset.
- To vex with lectures; to lecture frequently.
- dart-shaped; styloid
- A member of the Belemnoidea, an extinct group of marine cephalopods.
- The styloid process of the ulna or of the temporal bone.
- An area of central London, noted for being one of the wealthiest districts in the world.
- Having belief or faith; faithful.