Page 1 from 41
Total results: 42392
- The outline of a spore or pollen grain, as seen in a polar view.
- active time battle (gaming)
- A quick stab or blow; a poking or thrusting motion.
- A short straight punch.
- A medical injection.
- A vaccination, whether or not delivered via conventional injection.
- A verbal annoyance.
- To poke or thrust abruptly, or to make such a motion.
- To deliver a quick punch.
- To give someone an injection
- of Spanish occupational origin.
- Barking or baying of dogs at their prey.
- name, also used as a formal given name.
- The first month of the Jewish ecclesiastical year, corresponding nearly to the Gregorian April. After the Babylonish captivity this month was called Nisan.
- An aromatic red powder that is used during the Holi festival. 1976
- A South American tropical fruit tree,
- The fruit of this tree.
- Braced aback
- Braced aback
- To touch by means of a mutual border, edge or end; to border on; to lie adjacent; to project; to terminate; to be contiguous; to meet, of an estate, country, etc.
- To border upon; be next to; abut on; be adjacent to; to support by an abutment.
- To lean against on one end; to end on, of a part of a building or wall.
- A king of Israel, mentioned in the Bible.
- name, very rarely used.
- from place names in England. Variant spelling: Albee.
- name, anglicization of Irish Ailbhe, name of an Irish saint also anglicized as Albert.
- name used in Ireland, derived from Ailbhe, name of heroines in Irish legend.
- A raised platform in an early Christian church, as well as in the Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, and Eastern Catholic churches.
- A stationary podium used for readings and homilies.
- An ambulance driver.
- An ambulance.
- An ambidextrous person.
- To bark; yelp.
- To hit or strike, especially with something flat or soft.
- To strike the ground with the bottom of the club when taking a stroke.
- To reserve for oneself.
- Dark circles under the eyes, caused by lack of sleep, drug addiction etc.
- Any of various aromatic resins exuded from certain plants, especially trees of the genus Commiphora of Africa, Arabia and India and Myroxylon of South America.
- A plant or tree yielding such substance.
- Any soothing oil or lotion, especially an aromatic one.
- Something soothing.
- Any of various aromatic plants of the genus Melissa, such as lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) or bee balm.
- To anoint with balm, or with anything medicinal.
- To soothe; to mitigate.
- A bench; a high seat, or seat of distinction or judgment.
- A tribunal or court.
- Bosom, lap.
- Foam rising upon beer, or other malt liquors, when fermenting, and used as leaven in making bread and in brewing; yeast.
- A small, flat, round individual loaf or roll of bread.
- To spurge; foam
- A rate defined as the number of signalling events per second in a data transmission.
- Synonym for bps (bits per second), regardless of how many signalling events are necessary to signal each bit.
- A person who keeps a house of prostitution, or procures women for prostitution; a procurer, a madame.
- A lewd person.
- Joyous; riotously gay.
- To procure women for lewd purposes.
- To shout or utter in a loud and intense manner.
- To wail; to give out a blaring cry.
- A cattle-fort; a building used to shelter cattle.
- A defensive wall built around a tower house. It was once used to protect livestock during an attack.
- Prayer, later especially with a rosary.
- Each in a string of small balls making up the rosary or paternoster.
- A small round object.
- A small round object with a hole to allow it to be threaded on a cord or wire.
- A small round solid object.
- A small drop of water or other liquid.
- A bubble, in spirits.
- A small round ball at the end of a barrel of a gun used for aiming.
- A ridge, band, or molding.
- A rigid edge of a tire that mounts it on a wheel; tire bead.
- A knowledge sufficient to direct one's activities to a purpose.
- A glassy drop of molten flux, as borax or microcosmic salt, used as a solvent and color test for several mineral earths and oxides, as of iron, manganese, etc., before the blowpipe.
- Front sight of a gun.
- To form into a bead.
- To apply beads to.
- To form into a bead.
- To cause beads to form on (something).
- Anatomical uses.
- A rigid structure projecting from the front of a bird's face, used for pecking, grooming and for eating food.
- A similar structure forming the jaws of an octopus, turtle, etc.
- The long projecting sucking mouth of some insects and other invertebrates, as in the Hemiptera.
- The upper or projecting part of the shell, near the hinge of a bivalve.
- The prolongation of certain univalve shells containing the canal.
- Any process somewhat like the beak of a bird, terminating the fruit or other parts of a plant.
- Figurative uses.
- Anything projecting or ending in a point like a beak, such as a promontory of land.
- A continuous slight projection ending in an arris or narrow fillet; that part of a drip from which the water is thrown off.
- A toe clip.
- That part of a ship, before the forecastle, which is fastened to the stem, and supported by the main knee.
- A beam, shod or armed at the end with a metal head or point, and projecting from the prow of an ancient galley, used as a ram to pierce the vessel of an enemy; a beakhead.
- Colloquial uses.
- The human nose, especially one that is large and pointed.
- A justice of the peace, magistrate, headmaster or other person of authority.
- Strike with the beak.
- Seize with the beak.
- A platform from which speakers addressed an assembly.
- Raised area of worship in a synagogue upon which rests the Holy Ark containing Scrolls of Torah.
- that is common in many ethnicities in India.
- Traditionally among Brahmins, a Brahmin who has learned all the four Vedas.
- A small island north of New Guinea.
- A language spoken on this island and others near it.
- a peninsula and town in north-west Turkey
- A plucked lute, originating in the classical and traditional music of Japan, characterized by a pear-shaped body and four or five high frets, giving the instrument a distinctively twangy tone.
- To tell tales; to gossip without reserve or discretion.
- One who blabs; a babbler; a telltale; a gossip or gossiper.
- Nonsense; drivel; idle, meaningless talk.
- (in plural, the blahs) A general or ambiguous feeling of discomfort, dissatisfaction, uneasiness, boredom, mild depression, etc.
- Dull; uninteresting; insipid.
- Low in spirit or health; down.
- To utter idle, meaningless talk.
- A sudden, explosive sound, such as is made by a gunshot
- spam posted to a blog
- A craft used for transportation of goods, fishing, racing, recreational cruising, or military use on or in the water, propelled by oars or outboard motor or inboard motor or by wind.
- A full house.
- A vehicle, utensil, or dish somewhat resembling a boat in shape.
- One of two possible conformations of cyclohexane rings (the other being chair), shaped roughly like a boat.
- The refugee boats arriving in Australian waters, and by extension, refugees generally.
- To travel by boat.
- To transport in a boat.
- To place in a boat.
- The second husband of Ruth.
- name of biblical origin, in occasional use.
- Brisk; full of spirits; boasting; pretentious; conceited.
- proudly; boastfully
- A boast or boasting; bragging; ostentatious pretence or self-glorification.
- The thing which is boasted of.
- The card game three card brag.
- To boast; to talk with excessive pride about what one has, is able to do, or has done; often as an attempt to popularize oneself.
- To boast of.
- A variety of madeira (wine) that is less sweet than malmsey
- A crustacean of the infraorder Brachyura, having five pairs of legs, the foremost of which are in the form of claws, and a carapace.
- A bad-tempered person.
- An infestation of pubic lice (Pthirus pubis).
- A playing card with the rank of three.
- A position in rowing where the oar is pushed under the rigger by the force of the water.
- A defect in an outwardly normal object that may render it inconvenient and troublesome to use.
- To fish for crabs.
- To ruin.
- To complain.
- To drift sideways or to leeward
- To navigate (an aircraft, e.g. a glider) sideways against an air current in order to maintain a straight-line course.
- to fly slightly off the straight-line course towards an enemy aircraft, as the machine guns on early aircraft did not allow firing through the propeller disk.
- To back out of something.
- The crab apple or wild apple.
- The tree bearing crab apples, which has a dogbane-like bitter bark with medical use.
- A cudgel made of the wood of the crab tree; a crabstick.
- A movable winch or windlass with powerful gearing, used with derricks, etc.
- A form of windlass, or geared capstan, for hauling ships into dock, etc.
- A machine used in ropewalks to stretch the yarn.
- A claw for anchoring a portable machine.
- (obsolete) To irritate, make surly or sour
- To be ill-tempered; to complain or find fault.
- (British dialect) To cudgel or beat, as with a crabstick
- The tree species native of South America.
- Short for carabiner.
- A cigarette.
- Something beautiful, a charm, a peach.
- A tongue or tract of land included between two rivers, especially that between the Ganga and the Yamuna
- Soft, loose flesh on a person's body; fat.
- Fashion, style of dressing oneself up.
- A type of dress or clothing.
- A guise, external appearance.
- To dress in garb.
- A wheat sheaf.
- A measure of arrows in the Middle Ages.
- A metrical foot in verse consisting of an unstressed syllable followed by a stressed syllable.
- Either of the vertical components that form the side of an opening in a wall, such as that of a door frame, window frame, or fireplace.
- Any thick mass of rock that prevents miners from following the lode or vein.
- To fix or attach a jamb to.
- The nephew of King David, and son of Zeruiah
- Either of two thorny shrublike trees, of the genus Ziziphus, from North Africa and the Middle East; is supposed to be the plant from which Christ's crown of thorns was made.
- The edible berry of
- A single-serving package of crackers, usually filled with peanut butter. Snack crackers.
- National Railway Adjustment Board.
- An armadillo (Dasypus novemcinctus) found from Texas to Paraguay; the tatouhou.
- An unfledged bird.
- Something immature or unfinished.
- An incrustation over a sore, wound, vesicle, or pustule, formed during healing.
- The scabies.
- The mange, especially when it appears on sheep.
- Any of several different diseases of potatoes producing pits and other damage on their surface, caused by streptomyces bacteria (but formerly believed to be caused by a fungus).
- Common scab, a relatively harmless variety of scab (potato disease) caused by
- Any one of various more or less destructive fungal diseases that attack cultivated plants, forming dark-colored crustlike spots.
- A slight irregular protuberance which defaces the surface of a casting, caused by the breaking away of a part of the mold.
- A mean, dirty, paltry fellow.
- A worker who acts against trade union policies, especially a strikebreaker.
- To become covered by a scab or scabs.
- To form into scabs and be shed, as damaged or diseased skin.
- To remove part of a surface (from).
- To act as a strikebreaker.
- To beg (for), to cadge or bum.
- A scab.
- To scratch; to rub.
- To play mean tricks; to act shabbily.
- A large, flat piece of solid material; a solid object that is large and flat.
- A paving stone; a flagstone.
- A carton containing twenty-four cans of beer.
- An outside piece taken from a log or timber when sawing it into boards, planks, etc.
- A bird, the wryneck.
- The slack part of a sail.
- A large, luxury pre-1980 General Motors vehicle, particularly a Buick, Oldsmobile or Cadillac.
- A very large wave.
- A sequence of 12 adjacent bits, serving as a byte in some computers.
- Part of a tectonic plate that is being subducted.
- To make something into a slab.
- Mud, sludge.
- Thick; viscous.
- A car that has been modified with equipment such as loudspeakers, lights, special paint, hydraulics, and any other accessories that add to the style of the vehicle.
- A small piece of soft, absorbent material, such as gauze, used to clean wounds, apply medicine, or take samples of body fluids. Often attached to a stick or wire to aid access.
- A sample taken with a swab
- A piece of material used for cleaning or sampling other items like musical instruments or guns.
- A mop, especially on a ship.
- A sailor; a swabby.
- To use a swab on something, or clean something with a swab.
- Towards the back or rear; backwards.
- In the rear; a distance behind.
- By surprise; startled; dumbfounded.
- Backward against the mast; said of the sails when pressed by the wind from the "wrong" (forward) side, or of a ship when its sails are set that way.
- An abacus.
- Behind; toward the stern relative to some other object or position; aft of.
- On the aft side; in the stern.
- To lower physically or depress; to stoop; to throw or cast down
- To lower, as in rank, office, condition in life, so as to hurt feelings or cause pain; to depress; to humiliate; to humble; to degrade.
- To lower in value, in particular as altering the content of alloys in coins.
- To make ashamed; to embarrass; to destroy the self-possession of, as by exciting suddenly a consciousness of guilt, mistake, or inferiority; to disconcert; to discomfit.
- To lose self-possession; to become ashamed.
- in the sunshine; basking.
- A diminutive of the female given name Abigail.
- A religious devotee or dervish in Persia.
- The tenth judge of Israel.
- name used by Muslims.
- On the beam; at a right angle to the centerline or keel of a vessel FM 55-501 Marine Crewman’s Handbook or aircraft; being at a bearing approximately 090 Degrees or 270 Degrees relative JP 1-02 Department of Defense Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms.
- Alongside or abreast; opposite the center of the side of the ship or aircraft.
- Alongside or abreast; opposite the center of the side of the ship or aircraft.
- To put up with; to endure.
- To bear; to carry.
- To behave; to comport oneself.
- Bearing, behavior.
- To go astray; to err.
- Distort; aberrate.
- To regard with horror or detestation; to shrink back with shuddering from; to feel excessive repugnance toward; to detest to extremity; to loathe.
- To fill with horror or disgust.
- To turn aside or avoid; to keep away from; to reject.
- To protest against; to reject solemnly.
- To shrink back with horror, disgust, or dislike; to be contrary or averse; definition.
- Differ entirely from.
- Accept, comply or act in accordance.
- To wait in expectation.
- To pause; to delay.
- To stay; to continue in a place; to remain stable or fixed in some state or condition; to be left.
- To have one's abode; to dwell; to reside; to sojourn.
- To endure; to remain; to last.
- To stand ready for; to await for someone; watch for.
- To endure without yielding; to withstand; await defiantly; to encounter; to persevere.
- To endure or undergo a hard trial or a task; to stand up under.
- To await submissively; accept without question; submit to.
- To bear patiently; to tolerate; to put up with; stand.
- To pay for; to stand the consequences of; to answer for; to suffer for; to atone for.
- Bogo; a Philippine fruit tree, from the family Burseraceae. 1976
- A wine seller; one who is subject to the abkari tax.
- A small fresh-water fish (Alburnus alburnus); the bleak.
- Blossoming, blooming, in blossom.
- Blowing or being blown; windy.
- A unit of measurement in the centimeter-gram-second scale used to measure conductance.
- Act of waiting; delay.
- Stay or continuance in a place; sojourn.
- A residence, dwelling or habitation.
- An omen; a foretelling.
- To bode; to foreshow; to presage.
- To be ominous.
- A unit of electrical resistance equal to one billionth of an ohm (10-9 ohms), used in the centimeter-gram-second system of units.
- In a boil; boiling.
- Heated up; excited.
- In a boil; boiling.
- Figuratively, heated up; excited.
- Any of the large South American serpents from the genus Boa or related genera.
- born, begotten, created, developed
- Physically over; on top of; worn on top of, as clothing.
- In or to a higher place; higher than; on or over the upper surface; — opposed to below or beneath.
- Farther north than.
- Rising; appearing out of reach height-wise.
- Figuratively, higher than; superior to in any respect; surpassing; higher in measure, degree, volume, or pitch, etc. than; out of reach; not exposed to; not likely to be affected by; incapable of negative actions or thoughts.
- Higher in rank, status, or position.
- In addition to; besides.
- Surpassing in number or quantity; more than
- In preference to.
- Too proud to stoop; averse to; disinclined; too honorable to give.
- Upstage of.
- Beyond; on the other side.
- Directly overhead; vertically on top of.
- Higher in the same page; earlier in the order as far as writing products go.
- Into or from heaven; in the sky.
- In a higher place; upstairs; farther upstream.
- Higher in rank, power, or position.
- In addition.
- More in number.
- Above zero; above freezing.
- On the upper half or the dorsal surface of an animal.
- Of heaven; heavenly.
- Being located higher on the same page or on a preceding page.
- Something, especially a person's name in legal documents, that appears higher on the same page or on a preceding page.
- Higher authority.
- betterment, raised status or condition.
- Brimming, full to the brim.
- Brimming, full to the brim.
- A toxin akin to ricin found in jequirity beans, Abrus precatorius.
- ABC; alphabet.
- Absey book; abecedary.
- An alphabetical acrostic list.
- A medium-sized tropical African tree, from the family Loganiaceae. 1976
- The soft pale wood from the abura tree.
- In a buzz; buzzing
- Characterized by excessive gossip or activity.
- A tax, or impost, levied by a chief on a landowner.
- Hell; the infernal pit; the great deep; the primal chaos.
- An abyss; a gulf, a chasm, a very deep hole.
- Sour, bitter, and harsh to the taste, as unripe fruit.
- Sharp and harsh in expressing oneself.
- Scotland, especially the Highlands.
- A bookcase; a library or archive.
- A storehouse. (Especially a niche or recess in a wall used for storage.)
- A pantry, or place to store food.
- A cupboard or storage area in a church to hold books, communion vessels, vestments, etc.; an armarium.
- the capital of Iraqi Kurdistan; called Arbela in classical times
- A Middle Eastern unit of volume used for agricultural crops.
- An autonomous territory in the Caribbean, a constituent country of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
- Sushi made from abalone.
- (treated as a singular noun; plural babes) Alternative form of babe used as a term of endearment to a loved one.
- A Central and Eastern European coffee cake flavored with orange rind, rum, almonds, and raisins
- A tree native to South Asia, formerly
- Ill, unwell.
- In a bad manner.
- Very much; to a great degree.
- An obsolete wooden golf club with high loft.
- The 4-wood or 5-wood
- Of clothing, very loose-fitting, so as to hang away from the body.
- Of or relating to a British music genre of the 1980s and 1990s, influenced by Madchester and psychedelia and associated with baggy clothing.
- A small plastic bag, as for sandwiches.
- A portable coffer or chest with a rounded lid covered in leather, garnished with nails, once used for the transport of clothes or other personal luggage. It was the original portmanteau.
- A dwarf-wall of plain masonry, carrying the roof of a cathedral or church and masked or hidden behind the balustrade.
- That has been cooked by baking.
- High on marijuana.
- A machine for creating bales, e.g., of hay or cotton.
- A person who creates bales, either by operating or feeding such a machine, or by creating the bales by hand.
- An ancient city and centre of Buddhism, Islam, and Zoroastrianism and capital of Bactria.
- One of the 34 provinces in Afghanistan, Balkh Province.
- Refusing to proceed or cooperate.
- bloody; used as a mild intensifier.
- Producing balm.
- Soothing or fragrant.
- Mild and pleasant.
- Foolish; slightly crazy or mad; eccentric.
- A king of the Fomorians, supposed to have lived in Son of Buarainech. Husband of Cethleen. Father of Ethniu.
- Asian street food consisting of a developing duck embryo boiled alive and eaten in the shell
- Common in a boring way, to the point of being predictable; containing nothing new or fresh.
- A general strike, shutdown, or other form of protest used in South Asia in which a substantial portion of the population stays home and does not report to work.
- To give and receive reciprocally; to exchange.
- To use or pass about casually.
- To throw or strike reciprocally, like balls in sports.
- To fight (with or against someone).
- Bowlegged, or bending outward at the knees; as in bandy legged.
- A winter sport played on ice, from which ice hockey developed.
- A club bent at the lower part for striking a ball at play; a hockey stick.
- A carriage or cart used in India, especially one drawn by bullocks.
- A town in Alberta, Canada.
- A town in council area, Scotland, and the former county town of
- A type of yoke carried on the shoulders, as a means for people to carry a load.
- Characterized by banging sounds.
- bantam (small, but aggressive)
- A unit of pressure, equal to one dyne per square centimeter.
- Resembling vomit in colour, texture, etc.
- Inclined to vomit; sick.
- Vile; contemptible.
- Of or pertaining to weight, especially to the weight or pressure of the atmosphere as measured by a barometer.
- Of or pertaining to barium.
- Having bark.
- Prone to bark, to make the sound of a dog.
- Sounding like the bark of a dog.
- containing barm, i.e. froth from fermented yeast
- odd, strange.
- An argument, a disagreement.
- The perch; any of various marine and freshwater fish resembling the perch.
- The perineum of a man.
- A place of shelter for cattle.
- Symbol Ba. A unit of pressure under the CGS system. 1 Ba = 0.1 Pa = 0.1 N/m2 = 1x10-6 bar
- basic, elementary; relating to, or forming, the base, or point of origin
- associated with the base of an organism or structure
- a minimal level that is necessary, such as a minimum dose of a drug
- In a phylogenetic tree, being a group, or member of a group, which diverged earlier. The earliest clade to branch in a larger clade.
- base, bottom, minimum
- Any basal structure or part
- Founded on; having a basis; often used in combining forms.
- Not caring what others think about his or her personality, style, or behavior; focused on maintaining individuality.
- Being derived from (usually followed by on or upon).
- Having a base
- Having a base of operations.
- A city in Switzerland.
- A city in Switzerland; spelling of
- A city and port in southeast Iraq.
- Describing the reproduction of sound that overemphasizes low-frequency sounds
- A bank; a sandbank.
- A field or patch of ground lying near a stream; the dale in which a stream flows.
- The process of baking.
- The quantity of bread or other baked goods baked at one time.
- A quantity of anything produced at one operation.
- A group or collection of things of the same kind, such as a batch of letters or the next batch of business.
- A set of data to be processed with one execution of a program.
- A bread roll.
- A graduating class.
- To aggregate things together into a batch.
- To handle a set of input data or requests as a batch process.
- Of a process, operating for a defined set of conditions, and then halting.
- To live as a bachelor temporarily, of a married man or someone virtually married.
- Reduced; lowered; restrained
- An enclosed public swimming pool; originally a place having individual cubicles where people without bathrooms could have a bath.
- An exchange rate.
- The discount on uncurrent coins.
- Extra pay; especially an extra allowance to an English officer serving in India.
- Performed with a striking together of the legs.
- In billiards, the area of the table lying behind the line from which the cue ball is initially shot, and from which a ball in hand must be played.
- A bundle of wood, or twigs which may be used in broom making. Southern England term. Also, a fagot bound with only one band.
- impure limestone
- Soiled, dirty.
- Obscene; filthy; unchaste.
- Sexual in nature and usually meant to be humorous but considered rude.
- Having a bay or bays.
- A slow-moving, often stagnant creek or river.
- A swamp, a marshy (stagnant) body of water.
- form of (a tanned sheepskin)
- A mouth: the opening through which a person speaks, ingests food, and so on.
- The shore of a body of water, especially when sandy or pebbly.
- A horizontal strip of land, usually sandy, adjoining water.
- The loose pebbles of the seashore, especially worn by waves; shingle.
- To run aground on a beach.
- To run (something) aground on a beach.
- Resembling beads; small, round, and gleaming.
- Bright and penetrating.
- Covered or ornamented with, or as if with, beads.
- Characterized by beads.
- Beaked: having a beak.
- Beak-like: resembling a beak.
- Having a nose which resembles a beak.
- (of a gesture) Made using a beak; (of a sound) produced through a beak.
- Resembling a beam in size and weight; massy.
- Having horns or antlers.
- Having much beam or breadth; wide.
- Showing or emitting rays of light; beaming; radiant; shining.
- Radiant; beamsome; joyous; gladsome.
- A beanfeast; any noisy celebration, a party.
- Any home-made gas or indigestion remedy.
- pills; drugs in pill form
- Resembling or characteristic of beans.
- To bathe (with warm liquid); foment.
- To dry or heat (unseasoned) wood for the purpose of straightening it.
- Something or someone that is physically attractive.
- Something that is a remarkable example of its type.
- To put a bar around; bar about; debar.
- To bay around or about; embay; hem in; surround.
- An element of a lineage, especially of a lineage given in the Bible
Possible word length